• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadow Serpent...

Magus Darkholme

First Post
The shadow serpent is a creature hailing from the shadow plane and was originally created by Shar herself.
All comments are welcome.

SHADOW SERPENT
Large outsider (evil)
Hit dice: 8d8+32 (68hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 60ft; climb 30ft
AC: 20 (-1size, +7dex, +4natural)
Attacks: Bite +8 melee
Damage: Bite 2d6+5+poison
Face/reach: 5ft by 10ft/5ft
Special attacks: Constrict, improved grab, spell-like abilities
Special qualities: Damage reduction 15/+1, SR 16, shadow fog, shadow sight, daylight vulnerability
Saves: Fort+10, ref+13, will+8
Abilities: Str 20, dex 25, con 18, int 12, wis 15, cha 13
Skills: Spot+20, listen+20, move silently+18, hide+9*, search+9
Feats: Combat reflexes, alertness, improved initiative
Climate/terrain: Any land and underground (mainly found in the shadow plane)
Organization: Solitary, pair, or squad (1-4 shadow serpents, plus 4-15 sharren clergy, and one 5th-8th level cleric of Shar)
Challenge rating: 12
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 9-12HD (large), 13-18HD (huge)

Shadow serpents hail from the plane of shadow and were originally created and bred by Shar herself. They are hunters to the extreme, even going out of their way to kill a creature just for the fun of listening to their screams.
Shadow serpents look like an over-sized cobra, with a thick body, and are comprised out of shadowstuff. All shadow serpents have either dark red or fiery yellow eyes.
Some priests and priestesses of the dark deity Shar summon shadow serpents to carry out murders and other foul deeds that need being done. Shadow serpents will only attack a cleric of Shar, or a shadow weave user, in self-defense; they feel a strange kinship toward these beings that they cannot explain.
Shadow serpents cannot speak, but all can understand common, abyssal, and infernal.

COMBAT
Shadow serpents use surprise attacks and ambushes when hunting. They try to find the most powerful creature in a group and take him out quickly through their spell-like abilities and constriction. If confronted by a group or powerful creatures, they will use their shadow fog ability to escape.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a shadow serpent must hit an opponent up to medium size with its bite attack. If it gets hold, then it can constrict.

Constrict (Ex): A shadow serpent deals 2d6+7 points of damage per round with a successful grapple check against medium-size or smaller creatures (the shadow serpent gets a +2 bonus to the grapple check). The constricted creature must succeed at a fortitude save (DC 19) or lose consciousness for as long as it remains in the coils and for 2d4 rounds thereafter. A person can free himself if (after he makes the fort save to keep from falling unconscious) he succeeds at an opposed grapple check, with a –2 penalty, against the shadow serpent.

Shadow Fog (Su): The shadow serpent can summon a veil of black mist, originating from the serpent, that expands to a radius of 30ft. No light can penetrate this veil, and darkvision is likewise useless. Creatures with blind sight are unaffected and a daylight spell cast by a cleric whose class level is 4 higher than the shadow serpents HD can dispel this ability.
Shadow serpents usually use this ability to escape.

Shadow Sight (Su): Shadow serpents can see in all forms of darkness, magical and natural.

Daylight Vulnerability (Su): When exposed to daylight, be it natural or magical, shadow serpents become stunned for 1 round, and receive a –1 to all attack rolls, saving throws, skill and ability checks, and they lose their +4 natural armor. Likewise, if the serpent does not leave the daylight area in 10 rounds, it will be utterly destroyed.

Spell-like Abilities: At Will – shadow walk, darkness, misdirection, scare, stinking cloud, hold person, flame arrow, Evard’s black tentacle, and shadow spray. 2/day – blindsight, shadow well, shadow hand, Mestil’s acid breath, wall of evil, and shadow conjuration. 1/day – shadow evocation, mislead, and shades.
These are as the spells cast by a 14th level sorcerer.
Save DC = 11 + spell level.

*Skills: All shadow serpents gain a +20 to their hide skill when in a shadowed area.

Schmoe

Adventurer
The bite damage lists poison as part of the damage, but I can't find a description of the poison anywhere. Did you forget it?

Otherwise, it looks great! I think the CR may be a little high, though.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Magus Darkholme said:

SHADOW SERPENT
Initiative: +7

You have Improved Initiative listed below. Initiative should be +11 (Dex bonus + Improved Initiative feat)

Attacks: Bite +8 melee

Outsiders' BAB advance as fighters (+1 per level) so this guy should have a total attack bonus of +12; 8 [BAB] + 5 [Str bonus] - 1 [size modifier]

Damage: Bite 2d6+5+poison

Since it has a single attack, it gains +1.5 times its Str bonus to damage. Thus damage should be 2d6+7 and poison.

Plus, poison is listed here, but there is no description under the Combat section for it.

Abilities: Str 20, dex 25, con 18, int 12, wis 15, cha 13
Skills: Spot+20, listen+20, move silently+18, hide+9*, search+9

Spot and Listen skills are too high. Max rank (not including ability bonuses is HD +3). The max (w/ bonuses and Alertness feat) this guy could have in SPot or Listen would be +15 (+11 base + 2 Wis bonus + 2 Alertness feat)

Also- outsiders get 8 plus Int modifer per HD in skill points. This guy should have a total of 72. Taking away all racial bonuses he has 57.

Lastly, don't forget, Large creatures suffer a -4 penalty to Hide checks due to size.

Advancement: 9-12HD (large), 13-18HD (huge)

While not a rule per se, most monsters (with the exception of animals and a few others) can advance to 3x their HD, so this guy could advance to 24 HD.

Constrict (Ex): A shadow serpent deals 2d6+7 points of damage per round with a successful grapple check against medium-size or smaller creatures (the shadow serpent gets a +2 bonus to the grapple check). The constricted creature must succeed at a fortitude save (DC 19) or lose consciousness for as long as it remains in the coils and for 2d4 rounds thereafter. A person can free himself if (after he makes the fort save to keep from falling unconscious) he succeeds at an opposed grapple check, with a –2 penalty, against the shadow serpent.

Not a big deal, but why does the shadow serpent receive a +2 on its grapple check?

Last edited:

Magus Darkholme

First Post
Re: Re: Shadow Serpent...

Grazzt said:
You have Improved Initiative listed below. Initiative should be +11 (Dex bonus + Improved Initiative feat)
Whoops! Forgot to add that.

Grazzt said:
Outsiders' BAB advance as fighters (+1 per level) so this guy should have a total attack bonus of +12; 8 [BAB] + 5 [Str bonus] - 1 [size modifier]
Yea, I forgot to add the modifiersto the attack bonus.

Grazzt said:
Since it has a single attack, it gains +1.5 times its Str bonus to damage. Thus damage should be 2d6+7 and poison.

Plus, poison is listed here, but there is no description under the Combat section for it.
Yea, I originally was going to give it a poisonous bite, but I got rid of it because I figured it had enough special abilities already. Guess I forgot to erase it out of the damage heading.

Grazzt said:
Spot and Listen skills are too high. Max rank (not including ability bonuses is HD +3). The max (w/ bonuses and Alertness feat) this guy could have in SPot or Listen would be +15 (+11 base + 2 Wis bonus + 2 Alertness feat)

Also- outsiders get 8 plus Int modifer per HD in skill points. This guy should have a total of 72. Taking away all racial bonuses he has 57.

Lastly, don't forget, Large creatures suffer a -4 penalty to Hide checks due to size.
I'll fix up the spot and listen skills, and add a few more, like maybe climb and swim.

Grazzt said:
Not a big deal, but why does the shadow serpent receive a +2 on its grapple check?
PC cruelty.

Grazzt said:
Using the CR guidelines in Dragon 276, the shadow serpent should be CR 8 or CR 9.
Well, I tested it out against a party of 4 (all level 10), and they killed it without too much of a problem, but not 'till after it took out of 'em one. All in all it was a fairly even fight.
So, maybe a CR of 10 would be a good fit.

Last edited:

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Re: Re: Re: Shadow Serpent...

Magus Darkholme said:

Well, I tested it out against a party of 4 (all level 10), and they killed it without too much of a problem, but not 'till after it took out of 'em one. All in all it was a fairly even fight.
So, maybe a CR of 10 would be a good fit.

If you playtested it against a party of 10th-level PCs providing they are decked out as per the DMG (meaning they dont have a crap load of magic gear or a severe lack of magic gear and resources) then I would set it at CR 10.

Supposedly CRs are supposed to represent a challenge for the average (meaning decked out per the DMG) PC party of that level. I'm not sure how WotC got some of them (guesswork it seems) but that is what it is supposed to represent.

Magus Darkholme

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Shadow Serpent...

Grazzt said:
If you playtested it against a party of 10th-level PCs providing they are decked out as per the DMG (meaning they dont have a crap load of magic gear or a severe lack of magic gear and resources) then I would set it at CR 10.

Supposedly CRs are supposed to represent a challenge for the average (meaning decked out per the DMG) PC party of that level. I'm not sure how WotC got some of them (guesswork it seems) but that is what it is supposed to represent.
Yea, I always have problems when it comes to figuring out a monster's CR. Either I'll make it too low or too high.
Most of the beasties I've done I have been able to playtest, but, unfortunately I haven't had the time to play test them all.

Sojourn

First Post
Shadow Serpent has perfect timing for this is The Shadow Year in my campaign, where Shadow Dragons are all powerful and any game on the night of a new moon has an encounter with one in addition to anything else scheduled that night.

Remove ads