• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Shadow Step in dark dungeon - general purpose teleport or abuse of feature?

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
The rules for this feature seem pretty clear to me. I guess it's up to the DM whether a creature without darkvision can "see" a dark unoccupied space, but I don't see how it makes a strong difference to a guy that can cast darkvision per short rest.

It's unclear to me how this feature could possibly be abused. Stepping through a keyhole into a darkened room seems like a totally legitimate use of the mystical shadow-arts to me. Shadow-stepping everywhere seems no less practical than skipping merrily through the dungeon. I guess if this were my player and they liked mashing that button I'd let them mash it.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
What is the character gaining from doing this rather than walking with the party?

Why don't you want them to do it?

Correct me if I am wrong but all I see is a description of what the character is doing in the OP.

The player just started using it a lot and it suddenly seemed overpowered when in a dungeon. I guess a "I can teleport anywhere I can see within range" seemed out of step (ha!) with how the feature was intended. But sure the player was having fun and one time it got him in trouble as he shadow stepped right into the path of a trap. :)

I guess I was wondering about shadows when there is not light. Is it considered shadow or is it just dark? I mean we don't call night time shadow time... would shadow step also function at night? I guess it would...

so mostly this this is me coming to terms with what capabilities this feature unlocks...

hejtmane

Explorer
Simply is darkness considered shadow? If there is no light can there be shadows?

Do not need shadows

When you are in dim light or darkness as a bonus action you can teleport up to 60 feet to an unoccupied space you can see that is also in dim light or darkness. Directly from page 80 PHB

WarpedAcorn

First Post
So one of my players (a monk) has the gained the "Shadow Step" feature and was using it last night as a general purpose teleport to move around a dark dungeon they were exploring. While technically this seemed doable it felt to me as going against the spirit of the feature which is to step from shadowed area to shadowed area (within a certain range) - basically allowing you to move stealthily in otherwise well lit areas.

Is the player abusing their feature or am I being pedantic?

Edit: I guess the feature went from being cool to just being a button to mash.

(Starting to see why DMs get nervous about how to manage things as players acquire more and more capabilities :) )

Back in 3.0/3.5 I played a Shadowdancer/Rogue/Ranger in the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil campaign. Once I got to the Shadowdancer portion I stayed hidden in the Barbarian's shadow and hopped across the battlefield to get my sneak attacks. I used these abilities very liberally and...it honestly had no effect on the game. Shadowstepping ahead of the group was not smart and most of my incoming damage resulted from getting to aggressive with in-combat Shadowsteps. As a player I REALLY enjoyed being able to do this, but looking back the ability did not break any part of the game.

In the current case of the Shadow Monk, I would let the player use this as often as he likes. The balancing factor is that he is the only one that can do it, so at best he is putting his character in a position where the party can't help. If this lets him be a super scout, let him be a super scout. This is the best feature about the Shadow Monk, and the player is surely enjoying using this feature. And lets be honest...if you could move like that at will you would do it all the friggin time. =)

You mean a player is using one of his PC's class abilities?! So what? Just go with it. He's obviously having fun being Nightcrawler so where's the harm? Is there a place you don't want him to 'port to? Make it brightly lit or blocked from sight.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Simply is darkness considered shadow? If there is no light can there be shadows?
Both dim light and darkness count as "shadows" for the purposes of this ability.

Take note that "shadow" isn't a rules term, you need to go from dark place to dark place, it takes a bonus action to use this ability, and hiding is a separate skill check from this ability with a slue of problems that need to be ironed out.

But other than that, yeah it's totally a legitimate movement option.

Waterbizkit

Explorer
It sounds as though it's working as intended but that you're putting a bit too much emphasis on the "shadow" part of Shadow Step. The actual rules for the ability, as already pointed out, indicate dim light or darkness, no shadows are actually needed.

Now speaking only for myself I don't find this over-powered or otherwise out of line. As you already indicated the player got themself into a bit of trouble shadow stepping willy-nilly instead of simply walking, so it seems like the player gets to have fun with their special ability while also realizing that there can be consequences to its overuse. Seems alright to me.

Keep an eye on it though, it is your table after all and if it becomes problematic talk it over with the player and find ways to maybe dial it back a little. I'd be careful however as this is one of that subclasses main abilities and nerfing it for little reason may irk the player a bit, and rightly so. Good luck with it either way.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Do not need shadows

When you are in dim light or darkness as a bonus action you can teleport up to 60 feet to an unoccupied space you can see that is also in dim light or darkness. Directly from page 80 PHB

Well like so much of the rules it's open to interpretation:) the implication in that text is that there is light between the two... but I've been convinced that the player is in the right and I'll look forward to him getting himself in sticky situations. He's a gung-ho player and fun to have at the table. The endless shadow stepping just threw me...

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Well like so much of the rules it's open to interpretation:) the implication in that text is that there is light between the two... but I've been convinced that the player is in the right and I'll look forward to him getting himself in sticky situations. He's a gung-ho player and fun to have at the table. The endless shadow stepping just threw me...

Can you explain where you are getting that implication from?

One spot that is in dim light or darkness to another spot that is also in dim light or darkness.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads