D&D 5E Shadow Step & Whirlwind Attack synergy

So recently I've been theory crafting trying to find some ways to power up a hunter ranger's whirlwind attack feature, because being a dervish is fun.

This far, the challenge has been that many buffs either require the use of the Attack action (which whirlwind attack doesn't do) or they activate when you hit a creature (and as such their benefits are expended upon the first baddie you hit). There's 'fighting spirit' from samurai, but it takes resources and only lasts a round.

Then I saw this last bit for Shadow Step..
".. You then have advantage on the first melee attack you make before the end of your turn."

Now the interesting bit for Whirlwind is that RAW, it is only a single melee attack, it just had multiple attack rolls.

So if I'm reading this right, the combo would yield resourceless perma-advantaged melee AoEs as long as Shadow Step is available..

Thoughts?

barduchi

Villager
I don't think there is a good synergy between those features.

As you wrote:
".. You then have advantage on the first melee attack you make before the end of your turn.

And as Whirlwind Attack is written:
"You can use your action to make melee attacks against any number of creatures within 5 feet of you, with a separate attack roll for each target."

You make more than one melee attack with the Wirlwind Attack feature from ranger, thus the advantage only applies to one of those attacks.

I don't think there is a good synergy between those features.

As you wrote:

And as Whirlwind Attack is written:
"You can use your action to make melee attacks against any number of creatures within 5 feet of you, with a separate attack roll for each target."

You make more than one melee attack with the Wirlwind Attack feature from ranger, thus the advantage only applies to one of those attacks.

Where are you pulling your quote from? Not how it reads elsewhere (either SRD or roll 20 compendium, will check my hard copy PHB later). Was also addressed specifically in the 2015 errata (it's why you're not allowed to move between the attack rolls).
Roll20 compendium link

Remove ads