• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land

Ryltar

First Post
There are threads on it both on Candlekeep and the Wizards boards, which might help you make up your mind about the book.

I would recommend it. If you can ignore the way
the Chosen are taken out of the picture, which seemed a bit contrived IMO
, the rest of the adventure is easily the best 3.5 adventure WotC has put out so far.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
I have Shadowdale, Scouring of the Land. I got a good read out of it this weekend. I'll answer any questions as best I'm able.

I liked it. I thought the first adventure in Cormyr had more roleplaying in it, but when I started going through it chapter by chapter I actually realized even with all the combats in Shadowdale the opportunities for roelplaying were actually enhanced.

There's quite a few dungeons, plenty to kill, and you wind up making history in the Realms (the designers assume a high death count of major characters...and you get to kill them!).

The story elements are right-on, the background helps put it all together and there's a lot of Heroes of Battle crossover stuff like using a point system to gain allies and win battles of the war. Epic in scope.

The beginning however sure assumes a LOT. Like, a TON of stuff is happening in the region just a few months prior, and they lay it all out for you, but if you hadn't set up your Realms to take advantage of these story elements you have soem foreshadowing to do.

-DM Jeff

Last edited:

Crust

First Post
In short, I think it's excellent. I can't wait to run it.

I've been thinking of how I might use it with epic PCs. I'd have to bump everything up, of course. On the surface, though, the situation does seem to call for epic PCs, since certain epic NPCs are MIA as a result of certain circumstances.

I'll say that I really liked "going back" to Shadowdale. I haven't drawn the interior map of the Twisted Tower on a blackboard in almost 10 years. ;)

Nepenthe

First Post
I've been meaning to get it, and now that I hear there's Heroes of Battle crossover stuff as well, I'll make sure to. Might pick up Cormyr on the side, as well!

Remove ads