OSR [Shadowdark] How would you make a gnome?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
In my head, gnomes aren't a completely new species...they are just dwarves that live in forests. So I'd basically just make them dwarves, and handle any distinctions with flavor text and descriptions. If the player wants/needs something more specific than that, I'd work with them.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I’d go with speak with small burrowing animals and skill with illusion as key gnome characteristics, but my players who have gnomes don’t do either. I’m big on talking to critters when I play a gnome!
Oh, man, my D&D gnome illusionist is 1) 24/7 illusions and 2) all about working with critters.

Thourne

Hero
Isn't the obvious choice automatic crits on any social interaction rolls?
What, everyone dosen't love gnomes?!?
Now you really do want me believing it is a fantasy world!

Oh, man, my D&D gnome illusionist is 1) 24/7 illusions and 2) all about working with critters.
For GenCon Online games, since it started in 2020, my PC is usually my Gnome Bard.

His back story - which I spare others in GenCon - is that he was originally a 3.5e Greyhawk character, had an accident with a teleportal to end up in the d20 Stargate’s SG1 HQ (explaining why he has a MagLite), then ended up on the my friend Adam’s homebrew world in 5e (ackk, physics change), and now has been to 5e Forgotten Realms and Ravenloft.

A bit of a Quantum Leap type character, except he’s always just him, the Gnome Bard with a MagLite.

FallenArchon

Villager
Gnome: +1 spellcasting. Ignores one miscast per day.

Aasmir: start the day with a luck token, Once per day and can cast bless

Tiefling: (Infernal resistance) gains 4 hitpoints vs non-mundane sources per day.

Karhu: Always equipped with Powerful claws 1D6+str mod (if positive), +2 gear slots

Lizardfolk: Always equipped with leather armour, Advantage on climbing

Kobold: (dodges) Ignores one attack per day

Construct: Alway equipped with plate armour (AC 15)

Treefolk: Immune to critical strikes, Canopy blessing +2 gear slot for rations.

Dhampir: Death Timer is rolled on a 1D8.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
For tieflings, I wonder if it’d be too metatextual to boost reaction rolls against them: mild positivity and above intensifies up, mild hostility and below intensifies down.

JohnSnow

Hero
I’d go with speak with small burrowing animals and skill with illusion as key gnome characteristics, but my players who have gnomes don’t do either. I’m big on talking to critters when I play a gnome!
Personally, I'd go with the latter. The animal-speaking thing is one of the oldest gnome traits, both in folklore and D&D. The illusion thing is, as was pointed out, a little too close to elves.

Remove ads