OSR [Shadowdark] How would you make a gnome?

Having thought about it a few days (and played some Shadowdark in the interim) I'm souring on the idea of gnomes being able to polymorph into small animals. If those critters can't see in the dark, they're mostly useless; but if they can see in the dark, that breaks one of Kelsey's foundational principles of the game. The ability to turn into a spider and scout ahead in the darkness is very powerful in 5e -- in Shadowdark, where darkness is a much bigger problem, it might flat-out be broken. It's a good NPC or monster ability but perhaps not a good PC ability.

What do y'all think?

Oooh...I think I like that! It's a simpler version of what I proposed earlier (reroll spell and thievery checks once a day) and it fits the idea of gnomes being lucky.
Adding new ancestry won’t be easy. We got a limited pool a features to use. A luck token is not a perfect niche, since the DM can allow them, the Bless spell too, but it’s an honest take for home brewer.

darjr

I crit!
Oh! Or the ability to stand so still that they become indistinguishable to a statue. Or might go completely unnoticed.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Some potential features for the gnomes:

• Can move into tiny, X-wide openings.
  • Can mimic any sounds without moving their lips
  • Can work on mundane chores while resting without interrupting the rest.
  • Speak with burrowing animals.
  • Can enchant tools and object to use them at distance.
  • Have advantage to resist mind-affecting spells.
  • +2 to spellcasting roll while hidden.
Speaking with burrowing animals always seems too limited to stand next to real features, but speaking to small or smaller critters is juicy.

What about they speak common and sylvan, and can speak with small and smaller birds and mammals and something related to befriending such creatures? Very David the Gnome.

Does the game have anything related to tinkering, engineering, invention, alchemy, any of that stuff?

Remove ads