• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadowfell Box set coming in 2011! (an other GenCon announcements)

vagabundo

Adventurer
Fork Fork fork Fork.....

Anyway, WoW.. I didn't check EW over the weekend and I'm flooded with new things to buy. Well done WotC. I really don't know what to do now, get a second job I suppose.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I love boxed sets!

They make a farting sound when you close them!
Klaus, that's just you.

I find it irritating that you keep holding up "cake baking" as an example yet avoiding other examples such as crafting, profession skills, or the tons of genre appropriate backgrounds that figure in fantasy fiction.
Yeah, but would you rather have a horseshoe or a well-made cake?

Insight

Adventurer
I would hope that non-combat stuff like crafting and professions could be handled like rituals or martial practices. Or better yet, make it part of a skill challenge. Or both.

Scribble

First Post
I think I figured out what it is that REALLY interests me a lot about the upcoming products... Yeah a lot of them sound cool, but they're also not like the "norm."

When they release stuff in a regular cycle of PHB1, DMG1, MM1, >> Splatbooks, Setting Books, PHB2, MM2, DMG2 >> Spaltbooks, Setting Books... those books might contain tons of awesome sure- but it's too umm, expected?

Say whatever you will about TSR, but I think part of the fun back in my "heyday" of gaming was never knowing exactly what to expect next.

Reading the twitter feeds, and board announcements about what the future holds was like that all over again... Each thing I heard was kind of unexpected.

THAT I think peaked my interest in the stuff even before I thought about how useful it might be in my games. (Then I just started drooling...) ;)

Huzzah! Just when WotC ends one of my true loves this past year, they bring back the other!

And it sounds like it's a stand-alone game. I was wondering about this as a possibility when Gamma World was announced, and I'm glad to see it happening. Part of that is because, while I think 4E's rules can work with Ravenloft, the 'core D&D experience' that early 4E was shooting for would clash with a lot of Ravenloft's assumptions. What I've heard about later products (DMG2's alternate rewards system, Dark Sun) suggests they're willing to move away from that, but making Ravenloft a stand-alone but compatible with D&D means that the core game can be more solidly Ravenloftian, but you can dip into it or mesh it with standard D&D as well.

These were exactly my thoughts... a "Gamma World" style Ravenloft self-contained game would be quite nice.

The Neverwinter thing is kinda meh for me, since I have never been a huge FR fan, and the Bladesinger kit was a "Warning: Munchkin!" signal in my days of AD&D 2nd ed, but I can admit that a Striker version of the Swordmage would be a great idea.

The new focus on fluff sounds good, it seems that WotC is keen in reversing some of its earlier positions in order to please the fanbase

...of course, with a notoriously unpleasable fanbase such as this, lets hope this works out!

Still, I'm hopeful

--

Finally, also count me in into the "if Ari Marmell is in, then I'll buy it" camp!

ravenheart

Explorer
Not sure if this was mentioned, but one of newbiedms twitpics suggest that hybrid class features such as combat challenge and sneak attack are going to be usable on basic attacks in the upcoming errata. Which I already houseruled them to be, so this just confirms the intent.

Though I wonder if this will allow stacking up on extra striker damage (ex. rogue/ranger)?

hafrogman

Adventurer
Ravenloft where you actually play the vampires and werewolves as well as normal races?
You can play a ghost as well!! (allegedly)
I was thinking about this yesterday, and a thought came to me. Do we know they're doing these things as races? Some of these things that used to be templates could work really well as classes. It's a bit of an odd way to describe them, but it could work out interestingly.

Your race is whatever base creature you were before you were bitten/turned/died. Then your class powers are built around your newfound abilities. Perhaps were-creatures have a hybrid and beast forms and powers similar to the druid. Then if you want your previous life to have some bearing on your tainted existence, multiclass. That ancient vampire mage took paragon multiclassing and augments his charmy and bloodsucky powers with a few blasts from his staff. The reverse (multiclassing into vampire) could be a neat way to represent vampire spawn.

Heck, I could see a whole line of lycanthropes (power source: lunar)
Werewolves (and possibly rats): Strikers
Werebears (boars?): Defenders
Wereravens (remember them?): Leaders
Weretigers (Rakshasa!): Controllers

AngryMojo

First Post
I was thinking about this yesterday, and a thought came to me. Do we know they're doing these things as races? Some of these things that used to be templates could work really well as classes. It's a bit of an odd way to describe them, but it could work out interestingly.

I'd like to see it done with a combination of extensive feat support, and a multiclass-only class, similar to Spellscarred from FR.

Starglyte

Explorer
Just a thought, maybe only "Outlander" characters are created using the normal D&D rules and if you want to create a character from Ravenloft itself, you use the new box set with the character opitions there. This would be similiar to early 2nd edition Ravenloft where it was the Weekend of Terror setting.

Remove ads