• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadowfell gloves and zones/sustains

LittleFuzzy

First Post
An argument about the precise effect of Shadowfell gloves erupted at the table last night. I made a temporary ruling, but am now seeking further information. Wizard used the Shadowfell Gloves and his Staff of the Warmage on his Stinking Cloud at the start of the fight against the BBEG in the dungeon. So a Burst 3 covered about 1/2 the room doing necrotic damage with an extra d6. Fine so far. The problem arises with the next round when he sustains the thing.

I know some on here have argued that the extra damage from the Shadowfell gloves applies to all further damage the power does. Whether that's RAW or not, it's not something I'm going to let happen. But does the cloud stay necrotic? And if it doesn't, does it shrink back down to a burst 2? My gut call is that the damage type change and the extra damage from the Shadowfell Gloves are distinct effects, so not letting an additional d6 be done each time someone takes damage from the cloud does not in any way change the cloud back to doing poison damage, and similarly it stays at the larger size granted by the Daily from the Staff of the Warmage.

Shadowfell Gloves
Power (Daily, Necrotic): minor Action. Change the damage type dealt by the next arcane power you use to necrotic. Add 1d6 to the damage dealt by that power (if any).

Stinking Cloud
Arcane, IMplement, Poison, Zone. Burst 2 within 20 squares.
Hit: 1d10+Int mod poison damage
Effect: The burst creates a zone of poisonous vapor that blocks line of sight until the end of your next turn. Creatures that enter the zone or start their turns there take 1d10+Int mod poison damage.
Sustain Minor

Another minor question which was asked but which I could not remember the answer to is whether the damage from the effect line gets an implement bonus. I think so, but am not entirely sure.

James McMurray

First Post
Not sure about the gloves. Not even sure how I'd rule them if it came up in a game. Probably in favor of the PC (extra d6 every time), since it's a daily and there are many creatures immune or resistant to necrotic in our game.

You definitely get implement bonus damage for the Effect line. It adds to any damage rolls the power makes, not just ones resulting from a hit.

evilbob

Explorer
I have wondered about this myself. As-written, James McMurray is right: the power of the gloves applies to all damage. But it is a wicked combo - no matter how you rule that stinking cloud works.

Although it is worth noting that the wizard - assuming they are under level 11 - could not have used both the gloves and the staff powers on the same spell since those are both daily item powers.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Although it is worth noting that the wizard - assuming they are under level 11 - could not have used both the gloves and the staff powers on the same spell since those are both daily item powers.

Unless he'd reached a milestone that day?

-Hyp.

LittleFuzzy

First Post
I have wondered about this myself. As-written, James McMurray is right: the power of the gloves applies to all damage. But it is a wicked combo - no matter how you rule that stinking cloud works.

Over 11th level, or with at least one milestone under their belt. You can only use one action point during an encounter, but it was pointed out to me that there's nothing indicating you can only make one item daily use in an encounter, providing you have more than one available.

I personally feel the RAW on the Shadowfell extra damage can be read in more than one way. My wizard player happens to think the RAW is as James and others on here have interpreted it but agrees with me and the other players about that interpretation making the Shadowfell gloves significantly more powerful than any other item in the heroic tier and that we should all interpret it as only providing the extra damage on the initial attack.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I don't know if it works, but I think it's a pretty wicked cool combo, and flavorful as well. A big inky longlasting cloud of death FTW!

Only thing I am sure of is that my DM will use if on us before we use it on monsters, if it is legal in our game.

evilbob

Explorer
Unless he'd reached a milestone that day?
I had never thought of "stacking" daily item usages, but I can't see why you couldn't. The rule says that every milestone you gain another use; there's no upper limit, so yeah - I guess so.

LittleFuzzy: Not disagreeing with you, but I think the power isn't in the gloves; I think it's the cloud. Honestly, you don't even need +1d6 damage to make the cloud amazing.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Shadowfell Gloves and the Wizard Daily Spell Flaming Sphere Discussion Thread Response (Support Agent)01/02/2009 01:58 PMCaliban,

Shadowfell Gloves will change flaming sphere's keyword damage type from Fire to Necrotic. It will receive the extra damage for as long as the power is in effect.

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Charles
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496 (US and Canada)
425-204-8069 (From all other countries)
Monday-Friday 9am-6pm PST / 12pm-9pm EST

Customer (Caliban)01/01/2009 05:41 PM

Shadowfell Gloves (PHB page 247) makes your next spell do necrotic damgae, and adds 1d6 to the damage dealt by that power. If you use it with the Flaming Sphere spell (PHB page 160), does the spell still do necrotic damage when you sustain it?

Does the Flaming Sphere still do an additional 1d6 damage if you attack with it on subsequent rounds?

Is the 1d4 damage due to starting your turn adjacent to the sphere also increased by 1d6?

This the response I received from WOTC Customer Service when I asked about it.

Remove ads