• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadows of the Apt Campaign

Grimgrin

First Post
Is anyone reading "Empire in Black and Gold"? I am interested in incoporating the themes of this novel into a campaign.

For anyone interested, “Shadows of the Apt” portrays an alien world inhabited by various human/humanoid races (kinden). This world was dominated by gigantic insects but through study and imitation, mankind was able to become the dominant species. Each race has selected a specific "totem" insect and made its primary attributes their own. Mantis kinden are deadly hunters and duelists, Spiders are the ultimate manipulators, Ant kinden work in telepathic unity, Dragonflies and Fly kinden can "telekinetically" fly, etcetera. Currently the world is experiencing a industrial revolution lead by the races skilled in mechanical engineering (Beetles, Ants, and Wasps). The Wasp Empire (Black and Gold) is aggressively attacking its neighbors and seems poised for world conquest. Wasp Troops parallel Roman or Napoleonic armies in many ways by using troop formations and military discipline to battle their fractionalized foes.

Another aspect of the novel is the fact that only a few races are capable of using machinery or “apt“. Apt races include Beetles, Ants, and Wasps. Other races rely on natural abilities and magic and can't use even simple machines such as crossbows and locks, let alone the ornithopters, zeppelins, and steam punk firearms.

I mostly need help creating the “kinden” races since player classes work well as is with a little editing.

Last edited:

Fridayknight

First Post
I have read that book and have thought about building such a campaign. The races should be easily transferable since the skills are similar, but there may be balance problems with wasps having insta-kill weapons compared to backwards and bickering spiders (although it might be fun to play rogue for). If you need more ideas you should read the rest of the series, they are great books. Buying/owning ebberon PG would be a good start for the machines aspect.

The Insect Man

First Post
If it helps, some time before the first book got published, I did a partial conversion to 3rd edition myself. The races each had (as well as the stat +/-), three advantages (feat-level, frequently skill bonuses or bonus feats, but occasionally something special) and a drawback. Halfbreed characters got their pick of 3 pluses and a minus from their parent kinden (or 4 pluses and 2 minuses if they preferred) and got a flat -2 Charisma penalty as well. The Art is the tricky bit - each race had a list of available Art, some of which had level requirements (higher levels of Sting or Flight for example), and it was handled like feats - you started with a couple, and gained more over levels.

I never did nail down the magic or technology systems, despite much tinkering - I did produce spell lists cribbed from 3rd Ed, but the standard magic system doesn't fit well. I had a few new classes (artificer, scholar (a jack of all trades) and socialite), plus a variant replacement mage (seer) and a variant warrior (Skirmisher - essentially a warrior/rogue cross so probably not that necessary), plus quite a few prestige classes (including Weaponsmaster, of course). Most of it was pretty ham-handed, tbh, and could certainly be improved on.

Grimgrin

First Post
I never did nail down the magic or technology systems, despite much tinkering - I did produce spell lists cribbed from 3rd Ed, but the standard magic system doesn't fit well. I had a few new classes (artificer, scholar (a jack of all trades) and socialite), plus a variant replacement mage (seer) and a variant warrior (Skirmisher - essentially a warrior/rogue cross so probably not that necessary), plus quite a few prestige classes (including Weaponsmaster, of course). Most of it was pretty ham-handed, tbh, and could certainly be improved on.

From the two books I have finished reading it seems that every insect in existance has its own kinden (in addition to half-breeds).

I'm planning on simplifying the races somewhat and limiting it to seven or so PC choices. The Art will be minor racial modifications of the at-will powers similar to the DDI gladiator/racial combat style feats.

Here’s what I have.
Classes: All 4e classes are available. Martial classes and the artificer class are “apt” classes and only apt kinden can take them. Primal and arcane classes are limited to “non-apt” races (Dragonfly, Mantis, Moth, etc.)
Race: All kindens are of the “human” race but instead of choosing a general “bonus feat”, you choose a kinden heritage feat that represents your racial art. PC Kindens: Ant (apt), Beetle (apt), Dragonfly, Mantis, Moth, Scorpion, Spider, Wasp (apt).

I haven’t created an Art for each kinden but below is an example.

Art of the Ant
Bonus Racial Trait: Apt (you can use machinery and mechanized weapons).
Ant Telepathy: You can communicate to an ally within 5 squares in complete silence.

Your training allows you to act in coordination with allies. You have a telepathic sense of their intentions and location that modifies your class at-will powers.
* Priest’s Shield: One additional adjacent ally also gains a +1 AC bonus until the end of your next turn.
* Sure Strike: If you miss with your Sure Strike power, one ally within 5 squares gains a +2 bonus on attack rolls against your target until the start of your next turn.
* Bolstering Strike: You can give an adjacent ally the temporary hit points gained with a successful hit.
* Careful Strike: If you miss with your Careful Strike power, one ally within 5 squares of you gains a +2 bonus on attack rolls against your target until the start of your next turn.
* Deft Strike: One ally may shift 2 squares toward your target as a free action if you miss your Deft Strike.
* Wolf Pack Tactics: One ally of choice may shift one square toward your target as a free action if you miss with your Wolf Pack Tactics power.

Last edited:

Fridayknight

First Post
interesting, but how about people who are strange (eg the wasp who isnt apt who is in the book u havent read yet). The classes idea and races are pretty watertight but perhaps the ant art could be more of the same of kalashtar midlink feat?

Grimgrin

First Post
interesting, but how about people who are strange (eg the wasp who isnt apt who is in the book u havent read yet). The classes idea and races are pretty watertight but perhaps the ant art could be more of the same of kalashtar midlink feat?

There are exceptions to the apt/non-apt rule (Che of the beetle kinden using her art to fly, Drephos the mechanical genius apt moth, and so forth), but I intend to treat exceptional characers as NPCs. The same principle applies to the less heroic kinden races (Flies, Butterflies, Roaches, Mole Crikets, Grasshoppers, Wood Lice, etc.).

In the book, Ant Kinden telepathy seems limited not just to ant kinden, but
only the ant kinden of a specific hive city. I decided that was too limiting on the make-up of a PC party and therefore converted "Art of the Ant" to effect any single ally (reguardless of kinden). So "group mindlink" might as well be available as a heroic feat for ant kinden.

Last edited:

Fridayknight

First Post
Drephos is a halfbreed as far as i remember. Mole crickets are awesome and should definately have +2 con as a bonus. How are you going to do the ritualist part of the non-apts, for example the prophecy from the dragonfly seer? Also, having the Eberron players guide is very useful, if not only for the railway. Flying is generally paragon tier> so perhaps this should be a feat for paragon, since flying can drastically change combat (im sure you already know this). Just to report on what you probably already have thought of in terms of parallels:
Fly = halfling
Mole cricket = dwarf
Beetle = human
dragonfly = eladrin
ants = dragonborn
mantis = elf (BTW i made an awsome - but underpowered - tisamon alike using the cutting wheels)
butterflies = gnome
spider = drow
scorpion = goliath
mosquito = tiefling

Grimgrin

First Post
i put that before realising that i had 2 as dragonborn

Eberron was a great help for this campaign. I used your idea for reskinning the races, but used them this way. Didn't use humans at all or any race that "shifts" shape.

Ants = Kalashar (Only race with natural telepathy)
Bees = Githzerai
Butterflies = Deva (Since in a previous life they were a catapillar)
Beetles = Goliaths
Locusts= Half Orcs
Crickets = Gnomes
Cockroaches = Kobolds
Flies = New race, basically flying gnome (fly 8 sq. instead of Fade Away)
Dragonflies = Eladrin
Grasshoppers = Halflings
Mantis = Elf
Mosquito = Tieflings
Moths = Shadar-Kai
Pillbugs = Dwarves
Spiders = Drow
Scorpions = Minotaurs
Thorn Bug = Bladeling
Wasps = Dragonborn

Last edited:

Remove ads