• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shards of the Silve Flame -- OOC thread

drothgery

First Post
I've posted an ASCII art map (things are pretty closely packed in this room right now, but a 30' x 20' room seemed more than big enough for an archivist's lab) in the game thread.

The sorcerer, and one of the warriors (though not the one you're fighting) are in the Silenced area; Alistair and your allies are not.

If your character knows anything about rakshasas...

[sblock]
... then you know that you're pretty seriously overmatched here, or at least would be if Alistair hadn't managed to get the drop on them. Their damage reduction and spell resistance means only Hariel has a good chance of really hurting them, thanks to her flametouched iron thinblade and a decent BAB; even she probably needs a flanking partner (both to increase chance to hit and to get sneak attack damage in) for that to work. And that maximized Castigate spell was Alistair's big gun; he can't do that again.
[/sblock]

Oh, and go ahead and post tactical options. There will definitely be times when good tactics (or running away) are necessary if you want to survive a fight. So charge, tumble, grapple, trip, bull rush, move to set up flanking, balance on an overturned table to get high ground, use aid another, fight defensively, and all that whenever it's approriate.

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
wabinder - I just noticed that you still need to make some decisions on Dain's monk bonus feats; you've still got this:

Improved Grapple or Stunning Fist at Level 1
Combat Reflexes or Deflect Arrows at Level 2
Improved Disarm or Improved Trip at Level 6

on your character sheet. And, well, trying for a grapple, stun, disarm, or trip might be worth thinking about right now.

wabinder

First Post
drothgery said:
wabinder - I just noticed that you still need to make some decisions on Dain's monk bonus feats; you've still got this:

Improved Grapple or Stunning Fist at Level 1
Combat Reflexes or Deflect Arrows at Level 2
Improved Disarm or Improved Trip at Level 6

on your character sheet. And, well, trying for a grapple, stun, disarm, or trip might be worth thinking about right now.

My choices are listed on the character sheet, under the section labelled Feats. Been there all along. The choices were Improved Grapple, Deflect Arrow, and Improved Disarm. I don't think Dain knows much about rakshasas, so he doesn't know yet just how outmatched he is. I am thinking that he will realize in about another round or so and start thinking about changing his tactics.

drothgery

First Post
wabinder said:
My choices are listed on the character sheet, under the section labelled Feats. Been there all along. The choices were Improved Grapple, Deflect Arrow, and Improved Disarm. I don't think Dain knows much about rakshasas, so he doesn't know yet just how outmatched he is. I am thinking that he will realize in about another round or so and start thinking about changing his tactics.

Sorry. Missed that.

drothgery

First Post
stonegod said:
I'm pretty sure you can't wield a rapier two-handed, or at least get any bonus for doing so. Sorry, Oz.

Ayup. Two-handed attacking with a medium rapier is of no use for a medium-sized character.

Oz can either 5-foot-step and flank with Kahlia/full attack/sneak attack 1 (the warrior that's been free since you got in the room, and is in pretty bad shape; these things happen when you hold your enemey in contempt... and fail SR rolls and saves against a maximized spell) or work around back and flank with Kahlia/attack/sneak attack 3 (the sorcerer with a few scratches). #2 hasn't been touched yet; there have been a lot of failed AoOs against him, and he failed to grapple Alistair (by rolling awfully when Alistair rolled well).

(Just as an FYI - I won't be rolling this round until Friday unless my tabletop game ends really early tonight; it takes me a while to go through mechanics spread amoung half a dozen rulebooks, some web pages, and a few files on my computer.)

Last edited:

Anax

First Post
Just a note that I've revised my action after seeing the map. (Much simpler now.)

Just as a note: it simplifies things here, I suppose, if we always use our AoO on the first target that provokes. We are not, however, obliged to by the RAW. If that warrior moves around again I would like to save my AoO for the caster. I'll try to think to mention that in my posts in the future... I'm not used to having to think of things like this ahead of time. :)

drothgery

First Post
Anax said:
Just a note that I've revised my action after seeing the map. (Much simpler now.)

Just as a note: it simplifies things here, I suppose, if we always use our AoO on the first target that provokes. We are not, however, obliged to by the RAW. If that warrior moves around again I would like to save my AoO for the caster. I'll try to think to mention that in my posts in the future... I'm not used to having to think of things like this ahead of time. :)

Yeah, it's one of those things that a lot simpler if I just assume you're going to take the first AoO that presents itself. AoOs are tricky enough to manage as it is. Besides, most things you fight won't have a high enough AC (or DR that renders many weapons worthless; despite their being three on the field right now, flametouched iron rapiers and thinblades aren't something rakshasas see every day, even in Thrane) that they figure they can deal with 4 AoOs with impunity ;)

Also, remember that Hariel is fatigued (-2 to Str and Dex) after being nailed with a Ray of Exhaustion and making her save (otherwise she'd be Exhausted, and -6 to Str and Dex).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads