• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Share your Keeper methods of setting the Cthulhu Mood...

HeavyG

First Post
Henry@home said:
2nd of all - Great Cthulhu - since you are the most knowledgeable on this subject :) - what would you think freaks out those pesky investigators more - life with a soundtrack, or without?

Eating 1d4 players every game might be a start. :D

Clear Dragon

First Post
So Candlelight = Good. But Candles + Players = Bad.

Also, if you use candles by all means stick with unscented or all one scent. A roomful of mixed scented candles is a quick way to make all of you nauseous, (which might by a mood you need to create among the players, but nasuea is not very conducive to DMing).

Tsyr

Explorer
I run 20-30s era Cthullu games when I do, and always at night. Light is provided from several old oil lamps, which while they provide more than ample light (Nearly as much as electric), it has a decidely different mood to it.

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
I also use oil lamps. They add quite the atmosphere to a 1920s game. I also set up my table away from the players...It gives them a feeling of remoteness and isolation that adds to the game.

Last edited:

Thornhammer

First Post
I'll give another nod to Silent Hill. I bought the soundtrack from the original game, it is very atmospheric. If you can find it, I'd recommend it.

I also recently started playing Clive Barker's Undying. Some of the atmospherics in the mansion are incredibly creepy. Ghostly babies crying, the screams of Howlers *somewhere* in the mansion...spooky stuff.

-Thornhammer

Tsyr

Explorer
God Alive...

I remember playing the DEMO for Undying... I loved it, but I nearly had a heartattack three times and had nightmares that night. I could never imagine playing through that game start-to-finish.

Tsyr

Explorer
A friend of mine who sometimes ran a Cthullu game now and then before he went off to college actualy lived right across the street from a cemetery. So sometimes (on a warm night with little breeze) we would actualy go out and game on his picnic table, right across from the cemetery, with a couple oil lamps for light. That would get really creepy at times for some reason. :)

Remove ads