Sharing GM credits

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
They are tracked in the Character Tracking thread, AND on the character sheets they are spent on.

Also, noted abuse would be hard, unless you had a conspiricy of GMs bosting someone. It takes 20 credits to level per level through Level 8. And the money becomes less significant as you approach that level.
This is true. Soon when aTfL ends, an adventure that's been running for almost a year, I'm going to receive fewer than half a level's worth of credits. If I teamed up with Bront, who received even fewer from FoH and spent one already, it still wouldn't be a full level. I don't know how many credits others have--I've only ever seen Bront awarded them.

Erekose13

Explorer
We only started awarding them Jan 1st, so at most people have 9 uptil now, unless they've been dming more than one game. I put in a bit less than a month of dming Bront's game at the beginning. Mine will wrap up relatively soon too.

Bront

The man with the probe
Erekose13 said:
We only started awarding them Jan 1st, so at most people have 9 uptil now, unless they've been dming more than one game. I put in a bit less than a month of dming Bront's game at the beginning. Mine will wrap up relatively soon too.
Yes, and I nominated you for a credit for that one.

Erekose13

Explorer
yup yup. wouldn't even have thought to mention it, had you not nominated the credit. It was an unexpected surprise and I was happy to help get things going.

Bront

The man with the probe
I recomend at this point we just edit the rule. No need to wait 48 hours on a 6 (+ me, the proposer) judges Yesses.

Patlin

Explorer
Bront said:
I recomend at this point we just edit the rule. No need to wait 48 hours on a 6 (+ me, the proposer) judges Yesses.

It's going to pass, true enough... but why not wait the requisite time just to follow the procedure?

Perhaps I'm overly lawfully aligned. ;)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Patlin said:
It's going to pass, true enough... but why not wait the requisite time just to follow the procedure?

Perhaps I'm overly lawfully aligned. ;)
In LEB, we passed a few things immediately when there literally did not exist enough judges to vote them down after the number of YES votes they got. It doesn't really matter, particularly since this isn't something that anyone is going to do immediately, of course.

DerHauptman

First Post
I hate to be the devils advocate but what is the difference then between sharing DM credits and say XP or gold even then between characters?

I understand that Gm credits are earned by the GM for his or her work, however, the players put forth effort as well when they participate in the story.

The two types of "credit" are not that different. I for one put a lot of thought into my posts and feel I contribute a lot to the games I am in through role play and such.

As for the specific example a GM giving his wife a boost so they can play together....hummm.

I'd like to play in a higher level game too, who's going to spot my character some XP so I can enjoy the mid levels sooner than I earn them?

I for one would be really irritated if there was a game I wanted to play in and didn't earn enough levels to participate and someone, simply because they know or are related to a GM just magically get levels for their characters without having to pay their dues.

Why limit this sharing to GM points? If GM credits are to be viewed as commodity to be given away, freely to whomever the GM chooses (arguably with honest and helpful intentions) why should player commodities be less flexible in nature.

I'd give some XP to a fellow LEW guy - say Lot, for instance with whom I enjoy playing so we could have our characters in the same adventure.

What makes the GM points so special hey can freely be moved and exchanged between people and then applied to "any" character for gold, XP etc. Either way the player in question did not earn them.

If we can make up any background to cover the sudden acquisition of XP, gold or whatever why should someone with a GM benefactor be given a boost over others because of their relationship?

What stops us from just letting people make whatever level character they want then?

If we are going to have a living community where players have to earn their characters rewards through play and GM's get to enhance their characters a bit when they earn the GM points then it should be that way for everyone - no special circumstances.

Opening the game up to favoritism - even the appearance of it is bad business. I say you earn it you deserve it - I love the idea of rewarding GMs with incentives to use on "their" characters but not for them to use on friends, associates and family.

I am not trying to be an ass or anything I genuinely just want to keep the "cliquesque" ideas from creeping in. IMO allowing people to give their rewards to others for any reason might create a system in which it literally "pays" to be friends with someone who has the time to GM regularly.

Hell, I really want to GM some games, I have some ready to go but I hold off because I don't have the time to devote to the arbitration and prep.

I sure would like to get into some mid level play faster but I don't know any GM's willing to give me some freebies for my characters.

Sure would be unfair IMO for someone else to get such freebies because they know an active GM....

Vote your conscience - I don't think we thought this one through enough. I think it just appears to be a good gentle helpful idea that was proposed in good faith. On the surface it appears nothing but harmless but the road we go down there is a slippery one - be warned!

It sets IMO a poor precedent and there is infinite room for abuse.

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
I hate to be the devils advocate but what is the difference then between sharing DM credits and say XP or gold even then between characters?

Hmm...My character's first and only use of gold was when she lent 25 gold to another character she met in the RDI to summon a familiar. Would you have been against that too?

Remove ads