Sharing GM credits

Erekose13

Explorer
Lets see Tenebrynn is 6th level and started March 04 so 5mo/level
Eternity is 2nd level and started Nov 05 so 5mo/level
ao'Thuir is 3rd level and started Oct 03 so 12mo/level

as said, average level is not easy to calculate. All three of ao'Thuir's adventures stalled or died.

El Jefe

First Post
And for a couple more data points,

Oirhandir is 4th level and started Jun 04 so 7 mo/level
Boog is 4th level and started Apr 05 so 4.5 mo/level

BUT...

It took Oirhandir 12 months to gain his first level 6/04-6/05
Maybe 4 months to gain his second level 6/05-10/05?
A good 7 months to gain his third level 10/05-5/06
And only 4 months to gain his fourth level 5/06-9/06

Boog, likewise, took nearly a year to gain his first level and has been leveling rapidly after that. I chalk that up to Patlin's combat-heavy DMing style...

Patlin

Explorer
El Jefe said:
Boog, likewise, took nearly a year to gain his first level and has been leveling rapidly after that. I chalk that up to Patlin's combat-heavy DMing style...

Guide to quick leveling:
1) Find a DM who's favorite phrase is "Roll Initiative!"
2) Survive!

;)

Bront

The man with the probe
Mine are 6 (Pending), 3, and 4 (Almost 5) in order of creation. So, it depends on the adventure.

Solo adventures work well for leveling ;)

Erekose13

Explorer
I know that technically this passed due time limits, but having read and thought about DH's concerns I would like to change my vote to a no. I urge everyone to think about who they would give their own GM points to. Me it would be friends or people I have played in a game with, and DH is right, that is favortism.

Manzanita

First Post
DMs earn their credits. I have a hard time imagining who I'd give it to, but if I were to do that, I'm sure I'd have a good reason. Sometimes you do see a PC who gets some bad luck, and you just want to help him. I'll stick with my vote.

Patlin

Explorer
Seems to me that favoritism is different than gift giving. Gift giving costs you something. If as a DM I award a player double xp, that's favoritism.

I don't expect to give away any of my DM credits, to anybody. Still OK with it if someone wants to do so, though.

rln

Explorer
Hmm, I did not have this in mind when I wrote the proposal about Dm credits. However it seems a fair idea.

As pointed out, a DM has a fair chance for favotitism if he chooses to (his friend in the game plays a paladin? Whoops, how strange, there's a +X holy avenger in this crypt!). That said, I actually believe there is less favoritism in LEW than a typical PbP game with your friends, as the game becomes less personal (and more persona-l :) ) when you don't have people in front of you physically.

I'd say a DM shouldn't interfere with an on-going game in this way for the most part, mostly because it may feel like "DM fiat". However, in between games or as a player to another player, I do not mind it. I would, however, ask for a rationale after each use of a DM credit (pretty much regardless of how it's used). For example, a player who is 47 XP short of a level might receive training in combat by another fighter-type PC (who spends a credit) and he gains a fighter level.

I believe the original proposal called for writing up a short note on how the DM credits are actually put in play, which hasn't been too obvious in the games I've seen where it has been used - though I may be mistaken.

Patlin

Explorer
rln said:
I believe the original proposal called for writing up a short note on how the DM credits are actually put in play, which hasn't been too obvious in the games I've seen where it has been used - though I may be mistaken.

I actually haven't used any of mine yet, in part due to the fact that the character I would probably use them for has been on an adventure continuously since I first recieved some.

Remove ads