Shark World Inc

Crothian

First Post
Derulbaskul said:
OK, now that you guys have found the bloodstained template (sorry, I should have included a link or some clues!), what about a slight variation to the paragon primal water elemental? Yep, make it a giant blood (and guts and bone and... urk) elemental, basically a collection of all the dead of Shark World from when the meteors struck.

Perhaps this could also be one of the gods you're looking for: death and destruction, divine rank 4?

We went for a CG Elemeental instead. WE need as many good rulers as bad. So its history is it's alignment differed enough from the elementals that they didn't allow it to play in their elemental games. So, he was attracted to this world and came through a permanent gate or something. He might be made into a low ranking diety at some point, but right now that hasn't been decided.

You can see him and some other of our under water rulers over in rogue gallery. There is a kraken, a water elemental, and a shark over there so far. Just look for the threads I've started. :D

Aeolius

Adventurer
One aspect of my undersea game that I wanted to emphasize, was the inclusion of the many types of terrain one might encounter undersea. I added "forests" of mangrove roots, kelp, and coral. I placed "swamps" of floatweed (sargassum) and mountainous hydrothermal vents. I included sea grasslands, urchin barrens, and dead coral "deserts". I even placed a cold seep, an undersea "lake" oh high salinity.

Couple the terrains with tidal bores, or undersea storms, the various thermoclines of varying temperature, and the unique ecosystems encountered in the shallows and depths, and you have a world worthy of exploration.

Granted, finding players willing to abandon the staple of races found in the Players Handbook isn't easy. I've occasionally tried recruiting for players on aquarium boards and seahorse forums. I've posted notices for my online game in local gaming stores. I've made my presence known on the forums of Mongoose (Seas of Blood), FFG (Seafarer's Handbook), and Living Imagination (Broadsides!).

While some folks are initially interested, when they find out that BPAA is a message-based game they often look elsewhere. Fortunately, running a messsage-based game teaches one patience. BPAA has been running since 1998. It'll be around for awhile, yet. So, I continue to look for that most rare of gamer; the one who also enjoys writing and watching the Discovery Channel. :D

Crothian

First Post
THose pictures of the lake of high alinity were amazing. It literally looked like another body of water within a body a water. THat was one of the collest things I've every seen. I wonder if it's diveable? I don't recall how deep they said it was, only that it is in the Gulf of Mexico.

THe different types of ocean bottom are cool, but most of it is rather flat and silty with a whole eco system under the silt.

But first I'm started up top with the easy stuff. THen I'll work my way into the great depths. Lots to cover as you have just hit on the very edge of possibilitiies in this place. Thanks though.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Crothian said:
But first I'm started up top with the easy stuff.

My campaign is set in a region of mysterious stone pillars known as the Pinnacles of Azor'alq (Greyhawk). While the game is set in the waters which surround them, I also detailed some of the cultures which live on the 200 spires, each jutting 1,000' above the surface, known as Synsaal; the Barrier Between Worlds.

I have communities of humans (had to put 'em somewhere) modeled after Polynesian cultures, as well as winged aarakocra. And, as is often the case in my campaigns, the entire region is riddled with demons and hags.

I also added a shaft which descends to the fabled Darksea, as well as a subterranean submerged tunnel known as the Underflow.

One of these days I'll get it all on paper; my "Aquan Adventures" handbook, which will detail the various aspects of underwater adventures within the bounds of the 3e rule set. New skills, feats, and prestige classes will be presented, as well as new spells, magic items, monsters, psionic powers, and deities.

With luck, in a week's time I will begin revising my BPAA pages, beginning with a new look, new forums, a revised Background, an expanded Night Hag Family Tree, and stats for a beastie or two.

btw, you can get those Discovery Channel "Blue Planet" episodes on DVD. ;)

Crothian

First Post
Aeolius said:

btw, you can get those Discovery Channel "Blue Planet" episodes on DVD. ;)

Sounds like you got a good plan going. And I want to get Blue Planet on DVD, I just need a DVD player first. :D

Aeolius

Adventurer

Attachments

• b_picgal.jpg
    b_picgal.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 149

drowdude

First Post
Derulbaskul said:
OK, now that you guys have found the bloodstained template (sorry, I should have included a link or some clues!), what about a slight variation to the paragon primal water elemental? Yep, make it a giant blood (and guts and bone and... urk) elemental, basically a collection of all the dead of Shark World from when the meteors struck.

Perhaps this could also be one of the gods you're looking for: death and destruction, divine rank 4?

Edit: er... what Crothian said ;)

The bloodied elemental is a kewl idea though. But I would shoot for it more as a monster than a god unto itself.

Last edited:

drowdude

First Post
Crothian said:
You can see him and some other of our under water rulers over in rogue gallery. There is a kraken, a water elemental, and a shark over there so far. Just look for the threads I've started. :D

We should probably start a SHARK-WORLD!!! Rogues Gallery to collect the finished creatures/NPCS in one thread (once some get finished of course ;) ).

drowdude

First Post
Aeolius said:
One aspect of my undersea game that I wanted to emphasize, was the inclusion of the many types of terrain one might encounter undersea. I added "forests" of mangrove roots, kelp, and coral. I placed "swamps" of floatweed (sargassum) and mountainous hydrothermal vents. I included sea grasslands, urchin barrens, and dead coral "deserts". I even placed a cold seep, an undersea "lake" oh high salinity.

Couple the terrains with tidal bores, or undersea storms, the various thermoclines of varying temperature, and the unique ecosystems encountered in the shallows and depths, and you have a world worthy of exploration.

All very kewl ideas.

Aeolius said:
While some folks are initially interested, when they find out that BPAA is a message-based game they often look elsewhere. Fortunately, running a messsage-based game teaches one patience.

Indeed ;)

Crothian

First Post
drowdude said:

We should probably start a SHARK-WORLD!!! Rogues Gallery to collect the finished creatures/NPCS in one thread (once some get finished of course ;) ).

Everyting posted there by my I've saved on disk, so its always going to be there.

Remove ads