Shark World Inc

drowdude

First Post
Crothian said:
Freeport would make a good addition. However, it'd end up being the largest city above the waves. Not that that's a bad thing.

Good idea, I'll have to think how to fit it in.

Well... there is the city ruled by the Marid... I was thinking that could be our melting pot...

Last edited:

drowdude

First Post
Crothian said:
So, what the heck is an underwater city going to be like? It's going to be built in three diminesions since everyone can swim up as well as laterally. It can be dug into the silt and ground, or be built alone an underwater cliff. Coral could be used as a building supply. It doesn't grow very fast naturally, but magic could be used to greatly increase its groth, shape it, and make it more stabl;e. There can be great kelp gardens and coral used as a natural barrier. THey can be lined with many poisonous creatures (the most poisonous of all creatures are underwater).

I imagine the sea-elves ruled by the PWE use magic to organically grow building from the surroundings... coral being the most favored building material of course.

I was also got to thinking along those lines for other aspects of their society... like using magic to turn living organisms into useful items... like armor made of living coral and such...

The idea is not all that original of course, but I think it has some nice possibilities...

Crothian

First Post
drowdude said:

Well... there is the city ruled by the Marid... I was thinking that could be our melting pot...

That's going to be huge, but below the waves. I was referring to cities for the air breathers.

Crothian

First Post
drowdude said:

I imagine the sea-elves ruled by the PWE use magic to organically grow building from the surroundings... coral being the most favored building material of course.

I was also got to thinking along those lines for other aspects of their society... like using magic to turn living organisms into useful items... like armor made of living coral and such...

The idea is not all that original of course, but I think it has some nice possibilities...

It really does. Giant clam breast plates, shark skin for leather armor, whale bone for banded.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Let’s not forget mushroom coral shields, brain coral helms, fire coral tridents, giant urchin armor, and the like.

An undersea fortress has many advantages and disadvantages, which build upon its alien nature. Certain sea sponges thrive on waste, so it seems likely that undersea races might use them for disposing of organic wastes. Certain fish and dinoflagellates produce bioluminescence, which aquan races might utilize. Every aspect of a typical dungeon crawl can be reevaluated, when it comes to undersea adventures.

In my own campaign, an ancient civilization raised their island home high above the sea, suspended by giant columns. They lived in synergy with the sea, enhancing and contributing to the local flora and fauna. They developed translucent stingrays, known as plasmantas, which emit blue actinic light, to aid the growth of nearby corals. They created the gorgonians, a race of living sponges, to filter pollutants from the surrounding seas. The engineered the skumdusters, an odd worm that feeds on poisonous nitrates.

The arrogance of sorcerers, the whims of nature, and the wrath of demons brought the island down. But the creations of the Skyland wizards remain.

Admittedly, having 750 gallons in saltwater aquariums gives me a head start, when it comes to envisioning an aquatic campaign. I can sit beside my 250 gallon reef tank and watch a lone sea star or clownfish wind its way through passages of coralline algae-encrusted liverock. I am often fascinated by the antics of copepods; tiny shrimp smaller than a grain of rice. Or, I can look below, at protein skimmers, calcium reactors, wet/dry filters, and the like, and devise living equivalents for a fantasy realm.

Or, for a change of pace, I can spend some time with my 9 birds, as inspiration for the races of aarakocra, harpies, and dragons which live in the world of Those Above.

drowdude

First Post
Crothian said:

That's going to be huge, but below the waves. I was referring to cities for the air breathers.

Hmm, I was thinking that it would cater to both. You know, a massive floating city built in 2 directions....

drowdude

First Post
Aeolius said:

Admittedly, having 750 gallons in saltwater aquariums gives me a head start, when it comes to envisioning an aquatic campaign. I can sit beside my 250 gallon reef tank and watch a lone sea star or clownfish wind its way through passages of coralline algae-encrusted liverock. I am often fascinated by the antics of copepods; tiny shrimp smaller than a grain of rice. Or, I can look below, at protein skimmers, calcium reactors, wet/dry filters, and the like, and devise living equivalents for a fantasy realm.

Dude... I so want your fish tank... all I have is crappy 10-gallon with 2 tinfoil barbs, some cori-cats and an algae-eater :p

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
drowdude said:

Hmm, I was thinking that it would cater to both. You know, a massive floating city built in 2 directions....

I think it would have easy acces to air breathers, but since water breathers are so much more numerous that the main city would cater to them.

Crothian

First Post
drowdude said:

Dude... I so want your fish tank... all I have is crappy 10-gallon with 2 tinfoil barbs, so cori-cats and an algae-eater :p

I don't even have that. However, I should take a trip over to the Columbus Zoo. They have a great aquirium, they even have a manitee tank.

alsih2o

First Post
my box turtles rule all!

long live the omnivorous terapins of terrapin ranch!

seriously tho, that sounds like a cool coupla tanks!

Remove ads