Shattered Sea Chronicles, Book I: Festival of the Dead

pathfinderq1

First Post
Blarkon Dragonslayer said:
May 3-4, 1106 CR

Johanna finds herself a center of attention. Female warriors, though not unknown in Avonleigh, are uncommon, and she is plied with questions, till she is finally able to seek her bed. As she sleeps, her dreams are disturbing, of storms, and murky shapes of darkness, and at the end, of her father, grievously wounded and pursued, on a rocky beach, holding aloft a greatsword, wrought of star-metal, the runes of power on it's bloodied blade alight with blue eldritch fire. His eyes seem to meet hers, and he gives her a fierce, bloody grin, then she awakens.

The morning comes, bright and early. As the various adventurers make their way into the common room, several men in white clerical garb, and steel breastplates, are waiting, lingering over breakfast. The oldest of them introduces himself as Father Dunstan of the Temple of Iron Virtue, and has two of the others bring over a chest, which they set on the table. The chest is opened, revealing itself to be full of gold bars, each marked with the seal of Avonleigh. "Eighty-four trade bars (4200 gp), we'll offer for that device of evil in the stable. And of course you are all invited to the ceremony of cleansing where the foul thing will be destroyed."

Johanna enjoyed the night's festivities, perhaps a bit too much. When she woke, though, that fell dream was still clearly blazoned in her mind- she knew it was more than the feverish result of too much to drink. Part of her wondered what it might mean, but she had the stoic acceptance of Fate that so many Jotun did- if the vision had true worth, she knew her path would lead that way when the time was right. That would not be today, though, and she knew there was much to do here. The mental image of her father, and of the sword he carried, would still be as clear tomorrow- and likely for some time to come.

She made her way downstairs slowly- while she had the resilience of youth and good health, there had been hard fighting yesterday, and her muscles were yet stiff and sore. Her eyebrows quirked a little as she first looked around their table, noting the extra chairs that seemed to have been added- it was the sight of breakfast, though, that brought a smile to her face. Well that, and the sight of some of her companions already up and about...

She offered a courteous nod of her head to the priests, and piled her plate with food as she listened to their offer. The chest of gold was certainly impressive- it was far more money than she had seen in one place before. But she was no dwarf, and while money held its allure, she knew the true measure of a warrior lay in deeds. As some of her companions accepted the offer, she nodded in agreement. "It would be an honor to witness the destruction of such an unholy thing- and the sooner the better, I think. When is the ceremony?"

Nathaniel Frost

First Post
Blarkon Dragonslayer said:
May 3-4, 1106 CR
The Granite Badger

Nathaniel, after his bombardment with diverse foodstuffs, spends much of the evening playing for the crowd, though eventually things get too raucous for such delicate music. As he is packing it in, Morris the Quick appears at his elbow. "Well now, you've been telling me how you seek opportunities. These adventurers are an opportunity if ever I saw one. And they can use your talents, I'm thinking. Why don't you stay the night, we'll fix up a cot for you in the family quarters, and see what the morning brings?"

The morning comes, bright and early. As the various adventurers make their way into the common room, several men in white clerical garb, and steel breastplates, are waiting, lingering over breakfast. The oldest of them introduces himself as Father Dunstan of the Temple of Iron Virtue, and has two of the others bring over a chest, which they set on the table. The chest is opened, revealing itself to be full of gold bars, each marked with the seal of Avonleigh. "Eighty-four trade bars (4200 gp), we'll offer for that device of evil in the stable. And of course you are all invited to the ceremony of cleansing where the foul thing will be destroyed."

Not being at all unfamiliar with his cot in the Granite Badger, Nathaniel wakes refreshed and with a healthy appetite. He emerges late in the morning, as is his custom when he isn't tending the store...meaning any time he spends the night at the Badger. Noting the full table and a chest full of trade bars, it is immediately clear to him that Morris was on to something with this group.

Taking a seat with his newfound fellows, he's dismayed to find that most of breakfast was comforting someone else's belly. "I see that they've got you cleaned up, Redbeard. Can't say i find that surprising, though. I can't even escape a mandatory bath after a long night of entertaining around here!" He picks at what's left at the table less than enthusiastically. "Not that it's any of my business, but what's Haversham got you folks up to? He seemed a tad formal to be here for the revelry."

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Pauli The Psion

Pauli gets the opportunity to observe all sorts of interesting things, spending a good part of the evening in the company of the merrimakers, who remember him from the alleyway as well, before excusing himself when things move up to Larren's room. When he does retire for the evening, he finds a small rolled up scroll on his bed. The scroll contains only one line. "The locus of evil has been expunged. Well done. We'll be in touch."
Pauli spends sometime pondering to whom would want to stay in touch with him or his merry band of adventures. Especially in a way that suggests that they wish to remain anonymous. Pauli ponders the possible options well into his mediations.
Prodigious!” Mumbles the mind mage as his gaze shoots to the glittering gold bars within the locked chest. His gaze shifts towards the Clerical robbed men and then back towards his fellow comrades sitting around the table. He, like the rest of the group, readily agrees with the offered arrangement while adding in his own enthusiasm into the mix.

EvolutionKB

First Post
Redbeard

"I see that they've got you cleaned up, Redbeard. Can't say i find that surprising, though. I can't even escape a mandatory bath after a long night of entertaining around here!"

"Aye they be sayin I smell like an old dog rolled in somethin' that be rottin'. I say I be just smellin' just fine, like the woods and such. They still be dousin' me in hot water though." Redbeard frowns slightly at the bard's lack of enthusiasm while eating. "Sorry bout the food, I be hungry, choppin' up carrion does that to ye." Redbeard pulls the half a biscuit from his belt pouch. You can see it already has a few dirty spots on it. Fortunately Redbeard sees it as well, so he blows off the grime, but unfortunately deposits some saliva on it. "Here," he says with a yellow-toothed grin, holding the now slightly soggy biscuit towards Nathaniel.

Imerak

First Post
"Curses!" Larren cries playfully as he loses the last biscuit. [color"Ah well. I'll have my revenge." A hangover haunts him, but he is determined to remain positive -- actually not so hard, given the happiness of accomplishment surging through him. "Yes, I'd enjoy going to see this thing smashed -- it's sure given us a lot of grief. Plus it's always fun to see how other orders do things."

G

Guest 11456

Jillian Wolfrunner : Female Elf Rogue 3

Jillian had spent the first four hours of the evening meditating, so that the rest of the night she kept a watchful eye on her surroundings. The next morning she joins the others for breakfast. As the offer for the brazier is placed before them, Jillian merely nods at the prospect.

Father Dunstan nods, and seems pleased with the group's response. "The foul thing will be destroyed at noon today, in the temple court. First we'll cleanse the profanity that fills it, then we'll take sledge hammers to it. Any of you who wish are welcome to join in the pounding. You might want to be a bit early, since word will spread, and many will want to see the thing destroyed." He and his brethren take their leave, with the brazier in a cart they brought with them, the younger priests forming a sort of guard of honor, as the evil thing is carted towards the main square, where the temple is.

Haversham shows up just as the second round of breakfast appears, and takes a seat. "The Thane sends his thanks, and in fact he'd like to meet you. Apparently word of your exploits is all over the fair, now." He smiles faintly at that. "As if they needed anything else to make merry about..."

Before he can continue though, Morris walks over, and smiles at his wife, who is supervising breakfast with her usual skill, and then puts the heavy book that the group found in the secret room down. "Well, you'll be pleased to know that you were in the lower works of the Towers of Gard. Or at least under where those towers used to be."

Anyone local has heard the tales of the Towers of Gard.

The Towers of Gard
[sblock]
Before there was a city of Stonegate, two strong towers, built by the dwarves of Stone Mountain, formed an outer bulwark for the defense of the approaches to the Mountain. Great war engines topped the towers, and could be used to punish any army that tried to besiege the dwarves in their stronghold.

When the hordes of the Darkrune first erupted from the deep places, more then seven centuries ago, they were faced with the vast might of the Old North Kingdom. It took nearly five centuries, even after they broke the power of the men of the north, to consolidate their rule, and to sort out the power struggles and infighting that accompanied the division of their new-taken lands. Then, their power in the north complete, the Darkrune crossed the mountains, planning to bring the same slaughter and slavery to the south that they had in the north of Avonleigh the island. All that stood between the hordes and the weak, scattered men of southern Avonleigh were the dwarves of Stone Mountain, and a group of wild mercenaries known as the Men of Mallon Hill. The first king of Avonleigh was doing his best to marshal the forces of his new and fledgling land, but he needed time. The Towers of Gard bought that time. For two months orcs, giants, drow, and darker things raged around the two towers, but the defenders, both dwarves and men, stood firm. In the end, the towers fell, and were razed to the ground, all the defenders slain. But the time gained allowed the army of Avonleigh to march north, and join with the Stone dwarves and the elves of Tremblewood to smash the Darkrune hordes, and eventually to drive them back into their dark places, deep beneath the earth. The towers, which had taken twenty years of dwarven labor to build in the first place, were never rebuilt.

The sacrifice of the Towers of Gard also forged a lasting bond between the dwarves and men of both north and south, and eventually led to the foundation of the city of Stonegate, long centuries later, after the Darkrune hordes returned.
[/sblock]

Morris grins, and points at the book. "That's your proof. It was written by the commander of the tower garrison, and it was sealed away in a secret chamber, along with their most grievously wounded comrades, and some valuables, just after the Darkrune breached the inner defenses. And you found the secret cache, apparently."

Last edited:

Nathaniel Frost

First Post
Nathaniel's eyes widen as Morris describes the book. "Then this book...the lore...this would be the last account of the defenders so long ago. This is a huge find, indeed, from a historical standpoint!" It is easy to tell that he wants to examine this book. "This is the kind of lore that makes the legendary stories, the kind that are remembered throughout the ages, long after their author's name is forgotten and their bones are dust." His barely contained excitement is nearly palpable.

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
"All the better then that we have rid the place of evil. Such an honored site should sit as a shrine to the valor of those that defended it, not corrupted into a necromantic pit." adds Broderick, pleased to have reconnected with his ancestors. He makes a note to ask his grandfather about the Towers, their building was but a few generations ago for dwarves.

EvolutionKB

First Post
Redbeard

Redbeard scratches his chin. "That book be quite a bit o' booty then. Probably be worth lots o' gold to a good buyer. Not that we would be sellin' such a treasure. Makes me be wonderin' what other treasures be buried beneath Stonegate."

Redbeard looks to his companions then to Haversham. "Aye we be famous now, how does it be feelin'? What time do the Thane be wishing to meet us?" Redbeard begins to wonder how the new found fame will affect him. I be always picked on when I be a boy. I always be big. What say you now Ben, you bully. You be probably be picking turnips with ye dad. Ol' Redbeard be a carrion killer!

Remove ads