Shemeska's Planescape Storyhour (Updated 29 Jan 2014)

Shemeska

Adventurer
Schulbub said:
Hey Shemi,

could you please repost the stats of the baernoloth you once posted somewhere on the i-net. I tried everything to find them...it´s so frustrating. If I remember correctly, your party met this particular baernoloth on the plane of dust.

Aye, that would be their encounter with Methikus sar Telmuril 'the Flesh Sculptor'. I'll repost those stats tonight over on the Rogues Gallery thread and add a link here in this post.

Shemeska

Adventurer
I just posted up a new Baern cycle story over on Planewalker.com, and I also put up a link in a new thread in the main storyhour forum here. This one handles The Chronicler, who has shown up already in this storyhour, and who we'll certainly see again before all is said and done.

Reality Key

First Post
I finally caught up. :) excellent story Shemy! Pro quality as allways.
But one thing is nagging me though.
Why haven't the Upper Planes (esp. Guardinals) done anything about the loss of the layer? Granted charging into the Gray Waste onmass would be counterproductive if not futile as past examples have shown (i.e The Vale). At the very least try to find a way to seperate the part of the layer not contaminated by the Mother of Serpents and the Yugoloths.

Slightly off topic thought; If the Baernloths made the Yugoloths. Then who made the Guardinals? Perhaps a ancient predescessors of Guardinals that decided to step back and let thier decendents run Elysium. I'm a fan of the Guardinals and just wondered.
Sorry for any spelling mistakes.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Reality Key said:
I finally caught up. :) excellent story Shemy! Pro quality as allways.
But one thing is nagging me though.
Why haven't the Upper Planes (esp. Guardinals) done anything about the loss of the layer? Granted charging into the Gray Waste onmass would be counterproductive if not futile as past examples have shown (i.e The Vale). At the very least try to find a way to seperate the part of the layer not contaminated by the Mother of Serpents and the Yugoloths.

Good question. They're not doing anything immediately for a very good reason, and there's a very bloody past lesson lurking in their minds that has for the moment made them sit back and internally struggle with things, several of their leaders if not necessarily the race as a whole. Talasid and several of the others have a more informed view of what's going on. If anything, the Rilmani right now are probably more active than anyone, but that's not something that's revealed till it's heavily implied in a later plot arc that bounces between Pandemonium and the Outlands. The Waste doesn't keep Belarian for much longer.

Slightly off topic thought; If the Baernloths made the Yugoloths. Then who made the Guardinals? Perhaps a ancient predescessors of Guardinals that decided to step back and let thier decendents run Elysium. I'm a fan of the Guardinals and just wondered.
Sorry for any spelling mistakes.

*languid little grin*

Who made the Guardinals indeed. I do get around to this particular question, but it's a damn long time coming, though there's a reason for this too. I've already touched upon the idea of a pre-Eladrin CG race in my story of 'The Wanderer', and the prehistory suggested in that story holds for the storyhour here as well. I also have lurking on my computer somewhere, an outline for a story covering the creation of the Eladrin by their lost and self-exiled parents, which I'll polish off one of these days.

I never really delve into anything similar for the LG side of things, but the NG side of things gets at least two pretty hefty plot arcs before all is said and done. The first of them centers largely around Fyrehowl, and gets into the past history of the Companions of Elysium. I think I might have vaguely alluded to something back around when Belarian slid of at least one of the Guardinal Lords feeling something like a shadow passing over his grave, or something that seemed far too familiar, a horrible memory that tried to resurface, etc. I'd rather not spoil anything beyond that however.

One of the Guardinal progenitors makes a cameo in Storyhour 2, speaking to FH's daughter, but I think that we'll learn about them directly in SH1 before we get to that point in SH2.

Edit: Here's the relevant quote from earlier in the SH
earlier in the SH said:
All of them stepped into the same dreamscape, all of the companions who had traveled to Elysium together and stopped the rogue lupinal and his Yugoloth conspirators; all of them dreamt the same dream. And at the same time they did, Duke Lucan of Elysium, one of the seven companions of Talisad, awoke in the night with a sense of dread and a feeling that something black that he had felt once in the past had awoken and for a moment stared at him and laughed.

Everything was shrouded in darkness that swirled like ebony mist around three standing figures. Staring at them out of the dream stood Vorkannis the Ebon, the overlord of Carceri, a study in black with only his gleaming reddish-pink eyes standing out from the darkness that seemed almost part and parcel of the archfiend. Behind him stood the red and gold wrapped form of Helekanalaith the Keeper of the Tower Arcane in Gehenna. A third figure in green completed the triad and was wrapped in obscuring shadow, her face indistinct and hidden but for the glint of light upon her fangs. A glowing blue gem hovered in the jeweled hand of the third arcanaloth and another hovered in the open hand of The Ebon.

With a voice like honey touched with poison, wrapped with the warmth of a lover and the cold of a betrayer’s blade, The Ebon spoke to them in mocking triumph.

“Now my puppets I thank you. Know that nothing you do, nothing you create, nothing you aspire to, nothing your souls crave happens but by my will. Nothing you have done, no plans you have spoiled, no blood you have spilt, has been but by my wish and determination. By my will your hands this night are awash in blood and the death screams of Rubicon, my symphony in which you play your own parts. At the breaking of the first light of dawn on Belerian, witness my work and despair.”

Last edited:

Reality Key

First Post
Shemeska said:
Good question. They're not doing anything immediately for a very good reason, and there's a very bloody past lesson lurking in their minds that has for the moment made them sit back and internally struggle with things, several of their leaders if not necessarily the race as a whole. Talasid and several of the others have a more informed view of what's going on. If anything, the Rilmani right now are probably more active than anyone, but that's not something that's revealed till it's heavily implied in a later plot arc that bounces between Pandemonium and the Outlands. The Waste doesn't keep Belarian for much longer.

The Rilmani?! I totally forgot about them. It will be interesting to see how they handle/react to the situation at hand. *grin* Wonder how Ebon is react when Belarian slides out of the Waste.
Smart money says he's NOT going to be too happy, but not show his displeasure in front the underlings. But then again it could be all part of a much more larger and sinister plan.

As for the Guardianal's orgins, I can't wait when that comes around. :)

Eco-Mono

First Post
Reality Key said:
The Rilmani?! I totally forgot about them.
Surprising how easy it is to do that. Part of what gives them their influence, methinks.
It will be interesting to see how they handle/react to the situation at hand. *grin* Wonder how Ebon is react when Belarian slides out of the Waste. Smart money says he's NOT going to be too happy, but not show his displeasure in front the underlings.
Why would he care? The slide served its purpose: to give his forces a sudden, ridiculously powerful boost in the war over the Wasting Tower. He doesn't need Belarian anymore, so I don't think he'd really have strong feelings over its return, one way or the other.

On a slightly different note, the fact that it's Duke Lucan who is awoken and disturbed by the presence of Vorkannis reeks of creepy coincidence - IIRC Lucan's form is essentially that of a black lupinal.

Last edited:

Reality Key

First Post
Eco-Mono said:
Why would he care? The slide served its purpose: to give his forces a sudden, ridiculously powerful boost in the war over the Wasting Tower. He doesn't need Belarian anymore, so I don't think he'd really have strong feelings over its return, one way or the other.

On a slightly different note, the fact that it's Duke Lucan who is awoken and disturbed by the presence of Vorkannis reeks of creepy coincidence - IIRC Lucan's form is essentially that of a black lupinal.

You got a point there Eco. Best to let the layer slide than let any potental rival (though unlikely at this stage) use it.

As for Duke Lucan...this eerie coincidence does raise a question of the orgin of the Guardinals. Where they made as mockery of the Yugoloths or where the Yugoloths made in mockery of them?

Remove ads