• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shemeska's Planescape Storyhour (Updated 29 Jan 2014)

Fimmtiu

First Post
So what exactly did Florian do to make Toras badass enough to kill a molydeus in a couple hits? Still can't believe that they let it out...

Nice update. I like the suspense-building with the Jester.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Fimmtiu said:
So what exactly did Florian do to make Toras badass enough to kill a molydeus in a couple hits? Still can't believe that they let it out...

Nice update. I like the suspense-building with the Jester.

He actually killed it in either two or three hits; all of them being criticals. It was sick, and this is the reason that mercurial greatswords will never again feature in my campaigns. ;)

I think Florian cast either greater magic weapon on his sword (to break the Molydeus's DR) or divine power (if that is more than a personal only spell). I don't exactly recall which one.

Ryltar

First Post
Shemeska said:
Spooked and intrigued at the same time, the bladesinger looked back at the mosaic. The figure of the tall man was gone from the image.

Heh. Another M.R. James reference?

Nice work, although I weep for the poor molydeus :D.
What did you actually have in mind for the party at that point of time - anything besides open battle?

Shemeska

Adventurer
Oddly enough, MR James based Magnus on a real person

Ryltar said:
Heh. Another M.R. James reference?

Nice work, although I weep for the poor molydeus :D.
What did you actually have in mind for the party at that point of time - anything besides open battle?

M.R. James was the man. I adore his writing, and the Jester was a little bit of a tribute to him that ended up being more than a cameo.

1) I never really expected them to let the thing out. That's the largest thing.

2) It depended on what room the thing finally decided to go after them in. As a group it was a difficult fight but not a PC killer, and some rooms would have made it harder or easier to kill the thing. Some rooms would have made a fight rather impossible, but the PCs didn't actually go through all the possible rooms down there in the labyrinth.

3) I don't always have something in particular planned, but my players typically end up surprising me with what they end up doing. This has at times resulted in me faux weeping on top of a stack of 20 odd pages of notes that were never going to be used because the PCs skipped right over them ;)

Ryltar

First Post
Shemeska said:
M.R. James was the man. I adore his writing, and the Jester was a little bit of a tribute to him that ended up being more than a cameo.

Ah, I was referring to the "man vanishing from image" scene. I think there's a story by MRJ that uses similar symbology: a figure that is [different every time you look at a picture, and at one point it's] gone from the frame. Quite scary when I first read it :D.

This has at times resulted in me faux weeping on top of a stack of 20 odd pages of notes that were never going to be used because the PCs skipped right over them

I feel your pain. This has led me to seek (mock) revenge on my players by bestowing the Seeking enchantment on these sheets of paper :D - you can run, but you cannot hide from this quest! (In other words, many ideas can be partially reused at a later date.)

Shemeska

Adventurer
Ryltar said:
Ah, I was referring to the "man vanishing from image" scene. I think there's a story by MRJ that uses similar symbology: a figure that is [different every time you look at a picture, and at one point it's] gone from the frame. Quite scary when I first read it :D.

I'm not familiar with that one then. Its been a while since I seriously sat down and read his stories. Lately I've been re-reading C.A. Smith and devouring Mieville's novels.

I feel your pain. This has led me to seek (mock) revenge on my players by bestowing the Seeking enchantment on these sheets of paper :D - you can run, but you cannot hide from this quest! (In other words, many ideas can be partially reused at a later date.)

So true. So very true. I've reused places from earlier plot arcs that never got used, just sticking them into later places where they applied. This was especially true about halfway through the entire campaign when there was a series of rather extensive delvings into some towers scattered about the planes that became about as close to dungeon crawls as I come (the current plot arc included). Can't say anymore though without giving things away.

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
So Shemmy, what does exactly a mercurial greatsword do?

Me paladin can chop when necessary but that sounds lethal!!!! :]

Shemeska

Adventurer
Darmanicus said:
So Shemmy, what does exactly a mercurial greatsword do?

Me paladin can chop when necessary but that sounds lethal!!!! :]

It was an exotic weapon with something like an X3 or X4 crit. I regret having not looked at it closely before allowing it. *chuckle*

shilsen

Adventurer
Shemeska said:
All of them also became dimly aware of Jerimin, the man that Toras had inadvertently killed and who they’d resurrected, standing off to the side with a look of utter dumbfounded shock and disbelief. He’d effectively melted into the background after they had saved him and he was stupefied by what he’d just witnessed.

Is that a polite way of saying, "Damn, I forgot about the NPC" ;)?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads