• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shemmy's Planescape Storyhour #2 (Updated x3 10-17-07)

Shemeska

Adventurer
Yuvaraj turned to face her, but outside of a flicker of light from within its component soul gem, he made no response as he waited for her question.

“Sorry, let me be more specific I suppose.” Inva paused and pointed directly at the ring. “Are you able to tell me about this particular ring?”

Yuvaraj nodded, "Without restriction and with pleasure."

His response carried with it a tone that had been absent in any previous conversation: he seemed pleased, almost deviously so.

"This line of questioning is something of a loophole in my state of being. I was asked this very same question once before, by the very wizard whose bones you collected the ring from in the first place. I told the ring's history, most of it at least, to the now deceased Iutep, and I can happily discuss the record of that conversation, and a great deal of tangential facts related to it. It allows me to talk about my people, and I appreciate that. Thank you."

The Grand Artificer's skull bobbed like a happy child.

"Well..." Inva chuckled. "With all the irony of me saying so, I'm glad I could put a little ray of sunshine into your situation. But, having said that, I'm a tad concerned that a number of people have asked about this particular bauble, and they correspond with a trail of corpses in this thing's past. I wonder what I've gotten myself into, but hopefully you can tell me a bit about this ring."

"Indeed I can, but I should say that you might take the earliest portions of my knowledge about the ring with caution, because its nature and precise history are somewhat muddled. The Imaskari were notoriously secretive. What in particular would you like to know about it?"

Inva held up her hand and gently tugged at the ring. Of course, it didn't budge from its position atop her finger. "Call it whimsy or greed, but I put this on and can't seem to take it off now. Is it possible to remove it?"

"Yes. It is within your power to do so now."

Inva looked at the ring and then back up at the skull. "Hmm. What's the catch?"

"You would have to die." Yuvaraj bluntly replied, drawing a rather nonplussed reaction from the tiefling. "A particularly existential escape I suppose: you always have the opportunity to exercise your free will and take your leave of this life. Upon your death, the bond between you and the ring will be broken, and if a new wearer takes the ring, were you to be subsequently resurrected, you would be free of that companionship for better or for worse."

Behind her, Inva's tail alternately twisted into a tight curl and then relaxed, belaying her irritation at the answer. "Not quite the answer I was hoping for. Is there anything that doesn't involve existential despair and me dying?"

"Loopholes always exist, especially among those desperate enough to try to find them, and Towapesh himself, the ring's current namesake, was just such a person as I'll explain later. So yes, there is another way besides dying, though it is considerably more painful."

"Joy..." Inva said, frowning and glancing down at the ring. The tiny crystalline serpent wrapped around her finger made no reply, mental or otherwise, but Inva spoke her mind regardless. "But don't worry about me, I'm not giving you up, not yet. I'm just making sure I'm informed of my options."

She turned back to Yuvaraj. "So what's the second option?"

"First you'd have to sever the finger while under the effect of regenerative magic. You'd also have to have a recipient, so to speak, also under such magic. They would have to sever one of their fingers and willingly accept your finger, and the ring, to be magically grafted to their still-bleeding stump. Once the magic on them had accepted the graft and eventually replaced it with their own flesh, the new host would be bound to the ring and your link would be severed."

"And my missing finger?"

"After the ring was bound to the recipient, your finger would grow back due to your own regeneration magic, but not before that point. Perhaps a bit of spite from the ring, or perhaps not, and this may or may not hinge upon the ring accepting a new host in lieu of yourself."

Inva nodded and bobbed her tail lazily from side to side, "It's a spot better option than dying."

Back on the other side of the room there was a sharp cry of "OUCH!". Inva looked over and past Yuvaraj to see Marcus wincing and staring at a yellow, fist-sized gem in Victor's hand. Crystalline mist seemed to swirl like a jaundiced fog within the gem's faceted interior, and its light spread uniformly out to a distance of around fifteen feet, apparently not blocked by any obstacles.

"What the hell happened over there?" Inva asked, momentarily distracted.

"Marcus lied." Phaedra said, pointing to Victor's brother.

Inva raised an eyebrow. "Congrats to him I suppose, but what's so special about that? I lie too, quite a lot sometimes, but I don't make a girly scream afterwards."

Victor shot an apologetic look at his brother and held up the gemstone in his hand, prompting Inva to step back a foot as its light moved a fraction closer.

"It's something of a lie detector." Velkyn explained. "The divination we cast on it didn't say what exactly it did if you lied within range of it, so we told Marcus to lie. Apparently it hurts."

"Nice little toy." Inva said, belatedly adding. "Keep it away from me."

Phaedra grinned, "I'll scratch Inva's name off the list of anyone wanting to claim that."

The tiefling shook her head and looked back at Yuvaraj who hadn't bothered to turn back to look at what had happened, and who seemed entirely unconcerned with any of it.

"Yeah I thought that was amusing too." Inva said. "Have to see if I can get them to trip over that from time to time. Anyway, let's get back to this ring now."

Yuvaraj nodded and finally seemed to bring his attention back to the present. On some level it might have been that when not being spoken to in the capacity of a mimir, he might have lapsed into dormancy of a sort, consciously or not.

"Something I should add about the latter method of transference. During the period when the ring is transferred to its second user, before the regenerative magic replaces your finger, the ring has the capacity to speak to both people and it may object if it feels the shift in users is for the worse. While the shift is not necessarily unpleasant to the ring, it may object up to the point when this occurs, but never violently. It is simply attached emotionally to any current wearer of the ring much as a familiar would be."

"Hmm." Inva said, looking at the ring. "I've never had a familiar. I've always considered them cute, sometimes useful, but far too often targets and liabilities. You're a bit different though."

She looked back up at Yuvaraj. "So what about the ring's history?"

"The first reference to the ring that I am aware of, was in connection with Towapesh, an artificer of moderate ability who lived approximately 1000 years before the fall of Imaskar. Towapesh died at the hands of an improperly bound Pit Fiend, but he was the first known holder/companion of the ring that now bears his name, though it isn't known if he constructed the ring himself or obtained it elsewhere. The ring was stripped from his smoking, partially devoured corpse however, and afterwards it passed into the possession of Imenseph the artificer-governor of the western city of Kaeleish. Imenseph was ultimately killed by the deific manifestation of the Mulhorandi God-King Anhur. I was never told of the rings fate from that point till it arrived on Iutep’s finger, a space of roughly one month, but that seems immaterial."

"You didn't say that Towapesh actually made the ring though." Inva said. "Just that it first showed up with him as far as you know."

"That is correct." Yuvaraj nodded. "While the ring's design and material of construction does suggest an Imaskari origin, it does not bear a makers sigil that would be common for such objects if it was truly made by one of the artificers, be that Towapesh or an earlier predecessor. Towapesh would have marked his creation prominently if he'd made it, because it would have been the crowning achievement of an otherwise unremarkable career. Additionally, there exists an outside prospect of the ring having been created during the centuries of my reign as Grand Artificer, and by magical accident or planar anomaly it could have been sent backwards in time to Towapesh's period of history. If there were any maker's sigil from my period I would immediately recognize it, but again, no such mark exists, and for such an item to have entirely escaped my attention during my rule is unlikely."

"So what do you think is the most likely origin?"

"I would speculate that the ring is either from an older period of Imaskar, well over 1500 years before my reign, and that it was likely created by an obscure artificer. But of course, there is always the chance that the ring came from another source entirely, with no direct connection to the Imaskari other than its period of circulation among a known pair of wizards, and then into Iutep's hands."

"Other sources?"

"As I revealed to Iutep under much different circumstances, Imaskar gained portions of its arcane traditions from a diverse number of sources, many of them extraplanar, and so what appears at first glance to be an Imaskari object, might not even be from the prime material, and might in fact predate Imaskar entirely."

Inva tapped the spade on her tail against her thigh. "You've got me curious about that now. When you say extraplanar sources, whom specifically are you talking about?"

The skull lowered its chin and shook from side to side. "Sadly I cannot say due to the bindings in place upon me. Where material touches upon our magic, the Untheric and Mulhorandi gods were terrified of a resurgence of our lore, and the ideology that went along with it, and so they took what steps they could to bury it."

Inva shrugged, "I'd assumed so. Oh well. So what can the ring actually do? It hasn't said much, and it's not really self-identifying."

"As I mentioned before." Yuvaraj explained. "It acts in a capacity similar to a familiar, and it has offered advice and knowledge to its current bonded companion. The ring may have gained its arcane knowledge simply by association with the succession of wizards who held it over the centuries, or some unknown wizard may have supplied such knowledge to it at the time of its creation of old. However much of its knowledge may be its own, resulting from a being that was intentionally bound into the essence of the ring."

"That..." Inva drew out her response. "...has interesting implications. If it's a bound creature, it's not exactly a familiar. What do you think it is?"

"Good question." Yuvaraj replied. "The ring does not behave as an entrapped being at all, so I find this latter origin scenario unlikely. But this is speculation, and the ring, if it has informed past wearers as to its origin, including Imenseph who I knew personally for several centuries, or Iutep who I knew briefly, that information was not passed on to me or any others that I'm aware of."

"When I was old, Towapesh's world was yet stardust in the void, drifting around its parent star in its infancy."

Inva went rigid as the ring broke its silence. The former Purple Emperor droned on, but she was no longer listening to him. The ring had her captivated entirely.

"My perspective is expansive my dear." The words were spoken in a fluid dialect of Calishite, Inva's native tongue, almost as if the language had been pulled from her mind and curled around the ring's serpentine tongue. The voice was seductive, seeming to slither across her mind with the spreading warmth evoked by a lover's touch, words whispered in her ear by a courtesan in the process of undoing her corset. "I will say Inva, that you are correct about my not being a simple familiar. I am here in this form for various reasons, but in the end, only this reason needs to be known: I do this because it pleases me to do so. I wish to experience the world through like-minded beings, and having tasted your mind and your blood, I see little that I do not like. We shall prosper and enjoy ourselves, you and I."

Inva's face was flushed and she brought a hand down to her stomach as the ring withdrew from her mind and left a few gentle, trailing contractions within her in its wake. She was glad she was sitting down.

"...the ring seems capable of reading the thoughts, moods and memories of who it is bonded to." Yuvaraj continued, oblivious to Inva's contact with the ring's intelligence, oblivious to the fact that she had just learned firsthand that particular capability.

"So what's the drawback?" She finally asked, still flushed. "Surely this isn't completely a benefit for the wearer. The ring is intelligent, or harbors an intelligence, and surely it has its own wishes. Have any past wearers mentioned such?"

"They have." Yuvaraj replied. "The ring has been known to question its holder on their thoughts, even as it combs the surface of their mind and reads what bubbles to the surface. It listens and asks for clarifications, reasons, details etc, perhaps to invoke a better sense of the personality of whom it has been linked to. Iutep mentioned that it seemed to harbor an intense dislike of vrocks, something that apparently brought about an argument between ring and wearer when Iutep summoned a flight of those demons early during the campaign against Imaskar."

Interesting, but it didn't give an absolute identity to the ring's inhabitant. Hating one particular type of tanar'ri might mean it was diabolic in nature, or simply another form of abyssal demon. And if it felt it was compatible with Inva, that didn't mean much either since she wasn't particularly drawn to either of evil's opposite ends. The ring might fall to either side, but still consider her largely like-minded.

"Based on everything I heard of the ring, particularly from Iutep, it honestly seems to just desire to be bound to someone of equal or compatible nature and then experience life vicariously through them, helping as it can. It is very obvious however that the ring is rather selfish towards the welfare of itself and its bound companion collectively."

Worry not my dear. The ring whispered into her mind. We should make a very nice match, and yes, I do seek to experience the world through my companions. I enjoy the experiences, and I will act as I see fit to ensure that you survive to continue to provide me this window into the world. Call upon me in the future, and we shall see what I can provide to you.

Inva looked down at the ring, growing more and more comfortable with it the more it spoke to her. She no longer felt worried, nor did she feel any desire to take it off even if the process were easier. The shift in mindset might have been genuine, or it might have been a result of the ring's increasing bond; she honestly wasn't sure, but as their relationship progressed and evolved, she was curious to learn more about it, and what it could provide.

"Sadly, that approaches the limits of my knowledge." Yuvaraj stated. "Or at least that approaches the limits of what I am capable of saying."

Inva nodded. "That's fine. I appreciate what information you could tell me though."

Yuvaraj said nothing more and simply remained hovering in mid-air, and stayed there the remainder of the night, silent and motionless like a dim, skull-shaped lantern.

By the time Inva had finished speaking with the unliving mimir however, the others had finished their divinations on the remainder of the items that they had scavenged from Nergal's tomb. More wine had also been delivered to the room, and Inva took a bottle and rejoined her companions to celebrate their success. The warmth of the wine slowly diluting itself into her bloodstream, and the increasingly jovial conversations with Phaedra, were superficial to the latent presence the tiefling now felt in the back of her mind from the ring on her finger.

That night, with a bottle and a half of wine to her credit, she finally crawled back to her room in the inn to sleep. She slept alone that evening, but she wasn't truly alone as she pulled the sheets up to her neck and gently toyed with the sparkling, glowing ring upon her finger almost as much as the holy symbol around her neck. Still, she felt no worry or threat. The presence was compatible, even though for the moment it continued to keep its secrets with a dangled lure of power and knowledge in her mind's eye. Time would reveal more.

***​

Daylight saw the group eating a small breakfast and paying their tab before leaving and making as quick a trip as possible to Center. Quickly returning to Sigil through the Tradegate's portal, they made use of the previous route through the City of Doors to make their way to the City-at-the-Center, arriving in the city's Pluton district, under the long shadow of the Palace of Dandy Will.

Victor was uncomfortable, and so was Garibaldi, but despite the city's location in the middle of the Waste, it was a trade city, and disturbingly free of conflict and political entanglement. Plus, arriving by way of Sigil, they managed to avoid the disease risk, and quarantine period that using the Oinian gate into the city would have carried. As uncomfortable as they might have been walking along a street in the Waste, passing by fiends and unsavory mortals of every stripe and color, they knew that portions of Sigil were actually more dangerous, and that things could have been much worse.

Eventually though, and without incident, they turned onto Hag's Head Avenue and approached the junction of streets where presumably Aspaseka would be waiting for them after they had informed her of their success via a sending spell the night before. She struck them as a rather organized, rather punctual person and so they didn't doubt that she'd probably be there when they arrived.

"Oh for f*ck's sake..." Phaedra grumbled as she glanced at the corner of Hag's Head Avenue and Ebon's Walk, noting a familiar face standing there.

It was the proselytizer, the same one that she'd seen before when they were last in Center. The very same black, silver and scarlet robed arcanaloth from before was still standing at the street's corner, verbally and mentally harassing anything with a drop of yugoloth blood that passed by. Knowing that it was one of the Oinoloth's fold was knowledge enough for Phaedra to keep herself as far away as possible, lest it approach her, especially given the uncertainties of how it might react to the less damned half of her bloodline.

The half-'loth pulled up her hood to mask her face and immediately shapeshifted into a rather average-looking human woman. Still though, morbid curiosity did cost her a passing glance at the fiend, which was enough to notice a few disturbing details and incongruities in the process.

Standing on the large and polished obsidian flagstone that marked the junction of the two streets, the 'fiend was casting a triple reflection into the glass. It wasn't a property of the glossy stone itself, because none of the other passersby were giving off anything but a normal reflection, and it didn't seem to be an obviously simple illusion. Otherwise identical, each of the three were cast in a different color, none of them entirely matching any of the ambient sources of light there on the street: one in scarlet, one in rusted, bloody red, and a third in bleached, ashen gray.

The same iconography was repeated on the amulet hung around the 'loth's neck, a trio of intersecting circles in the same color pattern, each bearing the symbol of one of the planes of conflict to which the color corresponded. Additionally there was another symbol centered between them, but without obviously looking, and without getting closer, it was too difficult to make out fully.

Phaedra turned away and back towards the Prancing Nightmare Inn as they neared its doors. She didn't look back as she heard the fiend call out to a passing tiefling, seemingly knowing the particulars of their blood just by a glance. Phaedra didn't know the 'loth's message, neither what it was selling, nor what it was asking in return, but she immediately knew that she didn't want to get involved. The politics of purity were something of her father's race that she wanted absolutely nothing of.

"If that dumb*ss is always out there on that corner,” She complained, “We really need to find another location to meet in."

Garibaldi nodded rapidly as he glanced around the tavern's common room. The clientele alone disturbed him, to say nothing of the city's location in the Waste.

"Hey look!" Inva said, nudging the fighter and then tapping Victor's shoulder as well. "They've got a succubus dancing this time."

Phaedra stuck out her tongue and made a face, a rather strange face since at the same time she shifted back to a largely 'loth form.

For his part, Garibaldi tried not to look, even as Inva poked him in the side again. But morbid curiosity got the better of him, and he took a sidelong glance at the fiend prancing around the stage. The bat-winged woman, wearing nothing but a loincloth, noticed him looking and then winked and beckoned to him. Inva snickered when the fighter jerked in surprise and abruptly turned away.

Victor rolled his eyes and took it in stride, handling the situation much more calmly and stoically than Garibaldi, even though he probably felt a stronger disapproval about their surroundings. No need to proselytize or warn the occupants of such a place, because they were already well aware of their location, of the danger, and it wasn't likely that they would be receptive to any message outside of the jiggle of the succubus’s breasts. Voicing any objections in such a place would only invite danger, and so he stayed quiet and in the background as much as he could.

That was Victor's plan at least, but when they passed by the stage on their way to the stairs, the fiend couldn't resist making a pass. Gripping tightly to the iron pole running from stage to ceiling, she arched her back and leaned over backwards to glance at the passing cleric, tasting the air like a snake with a disturbingly long, forked tongue.

"Greetings mortal." The succubus cooed. "I could offer you something so much sweeter on the tongue, so much more warming than what's on tap."

Victor smiled back and replied cheerfully, without blinking or missing a beat to his step, "You'd burn."

Spurned, the fiend gave a hiss and a few sputtered words in abyssal, but neither Victor nor any of the others looked back or really cared to return her smoldering gaze. The cleric though was smiling when they climbed the stairs and made their way to where they'd last met Aspaseka.

When they arrived, the door was open, spilling a warmer, richer, and much more comforting light out onto the second floor balcony. Aspaseka hadn't opted for a locked and guarded room, but the rest of the upper floor rooms seemed unoccupied and there wasn't a line of sight from below into where they’d be meeting, so there was little to worry about if they wished to be discrete.

Their employer's agent sat in a relaxed posture at the room's central table, chair leaned back onto two legs, feet propped up on the tabletop as she read through a small book nestled in her lap. She seemed to have just eaten as well, as the empty bottle of wine on the table might have suggested, but more so the silver platter covered with an obscene pile of bones, half of which seemed to have been gnawed open at the ends for the marrow. Sticking out from the mess was even what looked like a hoof, but beyond the bones there wasn't anything left, though Aspaseka was delicately tapping a napkin at the corners of her mouth with an almost baroque and practiced elegance as they knocked on the door frame.

“Sorry!” Aspaseka said with a start as they walked in. “I just finished breakfast and I didn’t quite expect you here so soon. Excuse the mess, they haven’t sent up one of the wait staff yet.”

Blushing slightly, she took her feet off the table and hurriedly unfolded her napkin and tossed it over the pile of bones on the table. It didn’t entirely cover them, nor did it make the juxtaposition of gnawed but daintily cleaned bones without a drop of blood on the table any less confusing. There weren’t any knives or forks either.

“Good morning.” Velkyn said as he sat down at one of the chairs already arranged for them.

Aspaseka glanced at them all as they walked in and took their chairs. All of them were present. That was good. No good ever came from losing employees on their first job. She liked this group more and more. “I take it everything went well?”

“Too cold.” Inva said. “But otherwise I had fun.”

Victor smiled, “I hate undead.”

Inva poked him with her tail. “No, I think it’s the other way around there. Undead hate you.”

He smiled, “That too.”

Aspaseka seemed anxious, as if asking how they were doing was something of a formality. The tone of her question was genuine, and her concern for them as well, but she clearly had her mind fixated on the object that she’d sent them to receive within the Great Barrow in the first place.

“You told me that you’d found it.” She said, leaning forward slightly. “May I see it?”

Velkyn nodded, “He’s in one of our bags. Let me get him out.”

Their employer’s head tilted to the side. “Him?”

“Yeah…” Velkyn replied, reaching into his bag of holding. “The Codex wasn’t exactly a normal book or anything of that nature.”

“It’s a mimir.” Inva said. “Or rather, he’s a mimir.”

A mixture of curiosity and confusion crossed Aspaseka’s face, with wonder being added to that list as the glittering skull of Yuvaraj was produced from the bag.

“That’s the Codex of Long Shadows and Last Breaths?” She asked as the skull gently floated in mid-air. “That… that wasn’t expected.”

Yuvaraj slowly rotated to face her, and as he did so, it was obvious that she was taking her time to read the inscriptions carved and inlayed into the skull. Her attention on the carvings was rather abruptly taken away and replaced with more surprise though when she saw the glittering soul-gem lodged in the mimir’s mouth. That wasn’t normal. That wasn’t ever normal.

“I can’t really say that you’re all that I expected.” Aspaseka said. “I’m impressed and surprised.”

“Hmm…” Yuvaraj responded, drifting closer. “I can’t say that I’ve ever seen one of your kind either, nor precisely anyway.”

Burningspear

First Post
“The Codex wasn’t exactly a normal book or anything of that nature.”

“It’s a mimir.” Inva said. “Or rather, he’s a mimir.”

A mixture of curiosity and confusion crossed Aspaseka’s face, with wonder being added to that list as the glittering skull of Yuvaraj was produced from the bag.

“That’s the Codex of Long Shadows and Last Breaths?”

Soooo cool , its absolutely hilarious, i love the book in a guise bit, and he would be interesting for the party to keep i think, but it was the job to get him and give him away i suppose, sigh :D

Shemeska

Adventurer
Burningspear[I said:
Soooo cool , its absolutely hilarious, i love the book in a guise bit, and he would be interesting for the party to keep i think, but it was the job to get him and give him away i suppose, sigh :D[/I]

He does show up again later, well after the point that they gave him away.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Aspaseka brushed off the comment with a laugh, but the mimir’s comments were something that were brewing in the others’ minds.

“I expected you to be a book.” She said. “Sentience wasn’t ever something I considered. But regardless, my employers will be very, very keen to speak with you.”

The skull said nothing, and merely floated in the air above the table like a macabre lamp.

“So what was it that you wanted him for?” Inva asked, ever curious, and for the moment willing to suppress her own speculation as to what Aspaseka might be, if not human.

“A location.” She answered, seemingly choosing her words carefully. “Somewhere that Nergal might have spoken of in his last moments. Somewhere that we’ve been looking for for some time now.”

She didn’t phrase the comments as a question, perhaps because she simply didn’t want the mimir to provide an answer to anyone other than her superiors.

“But in any event, I’m going to have you deliver the codex, or mimir, whichever term you want to use, to the person who’ll be most interested in speaking to him. It’s not a very long or involved trip, and they’ll be the only person there, so you won’t have much trouble recognizing them.”

“So what do they look like?” Victor asked.

“Well…” Aspaseka paused for a moment before replying. “I’ve never actually seen him before.”

“At all?” Inva asked, raising an eyebrow.

“I don’t work for him.” She replied. “I tend to work mostly with Tyranny, who you’ve already met, and to a lesser extent with one of his colleagues, a woman known as the Visionary.”

“Do your…” Velkyn paused and rephrased. “Do our employers have real names, or just titles?”

Aspaseka nodded. “They have names, though I’m only privy to that of my own lord. It would be best if his name were not widely known, given the things his interests involve, and given the enemies he might have gained in the past.”

“I think we can accept their secrecy for the moment.” Inva said. “I’m the same way. But after a while I would expect some trust to accrue.”

“And that’s understandable.” Aspaseka replied. “Knowing their full name or not, you’ll meet them all eventually, and they’ll reveal to you something of themselves and their goals as time passes. It’s not my position or right to say something before they decide what level of trust to display.”

Velkyn nodded. “I need to know one thing though before we do anything else.”

Aspaseka nodded. “Ask away. I’ll answer if I can.”

“I need to know if they have interests inside Sigil or not.”

Velkyn smiled with some relief as Aspaseka shook her head vigorously. “None of them have interests within the City of Doors. The place is a neutral ground, more or less, and their goals don’t center on the city, or anyone inside of it. It’s generally a poor idea to seek power in that place, which a long list of dead or missing people will attest to.”

She knew about that last statement on a more personal level than she might have let on as well. Sigil wasn’t anywhere on the radar for her employers, and it likely would never be, considering that a former member of their number had ultimately been mazed in the course of his own personal pursuits, divorced from any overall plans of their cabal as a whole. But that was an unimportant fact, and divorced from the issue at hand.

“Well that’s good.” Phaedra said. “I don’t want to get involved in Sigil’s politics. I like the city and all but… no. So which one of our employers are we going to go meet?”

“Death.” She bluntly replied, watching the light reflect off of the runes that decorated the ancient sorcerer-king’s skull.

Phaedra nodded. “How appropriate.”

“More appropriate when you find out where you’ll be going.” Aspaseka replied with a grin.

Victor gave a wary look.

“Don’t worry, it’s completely safe.” Aspaseka said, waving off his concern with her other hand. “You’re chatting with me in a city on the Gray Waste. He’s not anywhere even remotely similar. Ever been to the Astral?”

Velkyn, Inva and Phaedra nodded in the affirmative and the other shook their heads.

Aspaseka pushed forward a sheet of paper and what looked like a small lump of marbled, pitted metal. “That’s a map to a portal in Sigil’s Clerks’ Ward that outlets to a specific spot on the Astral. Once there, you’ll find a rather special-looking color pool that’s something of a retrofitted portal in and of itself. That little lump of meteoric iron there will serve as a key to open it, and the portal will end up leading you to where our mutual employer Death makes his residence.”

“And where is that?” Inva asked.

“Another spot on the Astral actually.” Aspaseka explained. “Have you ever heard of something called the Bone Cloud?”

There were several shrugs, and none of them seemed to have heard of it, or heard of it in any real detail.

“Well, at some point in the distant past, at least several thousand years ago, a necromancer lord from an otherwise unknown prime material world managed to raise a massive army of undead servants. His enemies knew that they would be unable to defeat him and his minions in a direct conflict, and so as a last ditch effort they opened an astral rift beneath his forces and sucked all or most of them into the Astral.
Due to their sheer mass, they clumped together under their own gravity, and because most of them were skeletons and thus unintelligent, they were trapped there, utterly immobile within the vast cloud of bone.”

Victor of course looked uneasy about the entire idea. “Our employer lives there?”

“Hey, with a name like Death it sounds appropriate.” Velkyn said.

Aspaseka shrugged, “The location just makes it unlikely that he’ll have anyone intrude upon him. But don’t worry. Anything within the cloud that’s capable of moving like ghosts, vampires, and similar things, the place is warded to an insane degree, and once inside you wouldn’t even suspect that the walls were anything other than a curious sort of stone.”

“He carved himself a home out of the interior of the place?” Velkyn asked. “I take it he’s a necromancer?”

“A necromancer, yes, but not the typical sort you might expect.”

“Dressed in black? Skull motif decorations? Lich?” Inva said under her breath.

Aspaseka grinned and continued the explanation. “Yes, he made a lair inside the interior, building within natural hollows of the cloud, or excavating portions as needed. However you have to understand that the cloud is enormous. The whole thing stretches miles in each direction, and anyone tunneling through would probably never run into Death’s demesne by chance.”

“Interesting place…” Velkyn said. “Undead I assume?”

“From what I know, yes.” She explained. “But again, not the typical sort you might expect. Something like a lich, but more likely a unique type of his own creation.”

Victor grimaced a bit but Aspaseka again tried to alleviate his concerns, “It won’t take you guys more than a few hours at most, and by the time you get back here, I’ll have some nice wine to split with you all and we can discuss a better meeting place, as well as a more amenable way of paying you. I understand you didn’t like dealing with that bank with a branch in Rigus, so I’ll set something up in Sigil for everyone.”

“That would be appreciated.” Victor said.

She smiled. “I’ll try to get you an expense account as well. You’re talented, and I want to treat you as well as I can to make sure you’ll continue to work with me in the future. But we can make for more banter later, and handle future payment and such when you get back. I’ll still be here.”

A bit of small talk later and they were back out the door again, though they did their best to avoid the succubus the second town through the main room. Given the local notions of entertainment, while a few of them felt amused by it, Victor wasn’t the only person hoping that they’d find someplace better to meet in the future.

***​

Once back in Sigil, it was only a short distance from the portal in the Guildhall Ward, to the spot in the Clerk’s Ward that Aspaseka had indicated to them, a bound space framed by a series of cracks and lines of rust dripping down a buttress on the side of an old stone wall tipped with decorative spikes.

“So what’s the portal key?” Marcus asked, glancing at the ostensible outline of the latent portal.

Aspaseka hadn’t mentioned the key, just the location of the portal itself, but determining the key was probably the easier half of their task as Velkyn whispered the words to a spell.

“An iron rod half coated with silver.” Velkyn said after a moment of concentration. The notion of what the key was had come quickly, but it was actually finding the key that might prove more difficult.

“I find myself with a distinct lack of silver coated iron rods.” Inva said with a smirk. “Must have left it in my other pants.”

Phaedra shrugged. “Hopefully someone in the area knows of the portal and makes a living selling the key. Unless absolutely knows of this one, there’s probably someone selling it.”

Velkyn grinned as he looked back down the street. “Maybe another gnome for Inva.”

A few minutes later they found a portal key salesman a block distant from the portal. They weren’t a gnome, but rather a duergar, and the dark dwarf looked up at his potential customers with a bizarre look as if he expected half of them to rob him, and the other half to stop them.

“Which portal?” He asked, jangling a pouch of loose objects and a heavy iron ring at his belt that was festooned with a motley collection of knickknacks.

“A spot on a wall about a block down the way we came.” Phaedra said. “Marked with some rust and some cracks. Goes to the Astral.”

“That one’s easy.” The dwarf replied. “But it’ll cost you a dozen jink.”

“A dozen jink?” Velkyn asked incredulously. “That’s insane.”

The dwarf shrugged. “A dozen and a stinger then I suppose. Really, where else are you going to buy the key from?”

Inva pursed her lips and looked at the others. “You should feel lucky that we’re offering to buy it.”

He didn’t look impressed, and rather than replying he went about stuffing a pipe with tobacco. “You look like people in a hurry. Rather than take a few hours finding someone with the time and motivation to make you the key, assuming you know what the key to ‘yon portal might actually be, you could just pay me what the market’ll support.”

“We’ll give you five.” Phaedra said. “That’s more than amenable.”

“You’re got ears larger than my face.” The dwarf replied. “Surely ye heard the price. A dozen and a stinger is still the standing offer, or else you can find yourself an alternate way to the Astral.”

Then, to add insult to injury, he took a puff of his pipe and exhaled a thin stream of pungent smoke into the half-‘loth’s face. That was when things changed from hoping to bargain with him, to not bothering to care what it took to get the proper key. Phaedra simply stepped back and gestured, yanking the duergar off of his feet, spinning him upside-down and shaking him like a purse as she turned and walked off down the street with the dwarf telekinetically in tow.

A block later they stopped in front of the portal. Inva poked the dwarf in the paunch and tapped the edge of her tail spade against his cheek. “And I think you heard what I said before too.”

Suspended upside-down in mid-air, the duergar ineffectually kicked and struggled. "This is undignified!"

"Having small children running after you yelling piñata is undignified too." Inva said with a smirk. “Sadly though, I don’t have any children, or a big stick. Care to lower your price for that key?”

“Pike it!” The dwarf snarled back.

“Fine fine… have it your way. But I don’t really think you understand…” The tiefling sighed before she looked back up at Phaedra, “I got the gnome last time in Tradegate. You want the honors for the dwarf?”

“Wait.” The dwarf stuttered as he started to move. “What? What are you doing?!”

The silver light of the Astral spilled through the portal, carrying with it the distorted image of the tumbling portal key salesman and his thin, garbled cry of distress as Phaedra launched him through the bound space, still carrying the key. He was still struggling to right himself when they passed through the portal themselves, and he huffed and sputtered even more when they thanked him for his profuse generosity, right before Inva tossed him back through the portal and back into Sigil.

“I’ve noticed we do this a lot.” Victor said. “Tossing people through portals.”

“I wouldn’t call it a habit.” Inva said as she stopped waving to the dwarf as the portal finally closed. “Well, not quite yet. It’s been fun though so far.”

Victor shook his head. He’d probably have complained more, except the duergar hadn’t been hurt, and he really had been unreasonable with the cost of the portal key. And he was evil. It wasn’t an excuse, but it did make him less prone to feeling guilty he supposed.

“So now where?” Garibaldi asked as he and the others drifted in the void.

The local region of the Astral that they’d entered was truly desolate by comparison to what one might expect. The void shimmered with its ubiquitous silver light, but otherwise there was little to distinguish any particular spot from another. There were no rocky islands formed from the husks of dead gods, nor floating githyanki citadels, or any creatures drifting through the void. There was nothing but the same silvery light, and only a single blotch of color to mar the horizon rather than the standard constellations of dozens upon dozens of scattered pools.

“Well Aspaseka mentioned a color pool, and she said that we wouldn’t have any trouble finding it.” Phaedra said.

“I’m only seeing one color pool.” Marcus said, squinting his eyes and scanning the silvery haze in the distance.

“Then odds are that that’s it.” Inva replied as she moved towards it.

With the obvious mentioned, the group drifted across the void at varying paces, with the wizards invariably moving a bit faster than the more martial minded individuals simply due to the nature of the Astral. Eventually though, they gathered around the rippling edges of a swirling, metallic orange-yellow color pool, and it was immediately apparent that while the color pool’s hue would indicate that it most likely led to Arcadia, there was something different about that particular specimen.

A trio of metallic blocks drifted around the periphery of the pool, seemingly locked into a diffuse orbit around the pool’s edges. Each of the blocks were decorated with a meandering series of golden runes, and every few seconds they shimmered with a discharge of energy that leaked across the surface of the pool like tiny electrical insects dancing across the surface of a pond.

“Jury-rigging a portal indeed.” Velkyn said as he gently pushed at one of the metallic blocks. It moved, but only to a certain distance away from the pool, at which point it refused to budge just as much as an activated immovable rod might.

Inva drifted towards the pool and held up the lump of meteoric iron that Aspaseka had given them. “Anyone else care to have the honors? You know, just in case there’s a race or something… or an explosion or planar rift, etc etc…”

The tiefling turned back to the others and grinned as she tapped the iron against the pool’s surface and activated the latent portal.

***​

The portal opened into a room carved from cut, white marble, though as Aspaseka had told them, the stone possessed a curious speckled pattern that betrayed its origin as being compressed, possibly transmuted bone. The air was cold as well, and Victor shivered as he realized that the chill was not from any actual difference in temperature from the Astral at large, but from a latent nimbus of negative energy that slowly bubbled out of the walls and floor.

Normally they would have drifted across the room, but in another difference from the Astral as a whole, gravity was normal and their footsteps -or hoofbeats in Inva’s case- echoed and rebounded off of the walls as they stepped forward out of the evaporating portal behind them.

“I trust that Aspaseka sent you after you recovered the Codex?” The question came from a figure at the far end of the room. Dressed in plain brown robes with no decoration or display of wealth or power, their back was turned and they appeared to be looking out of a window constructed into the side of the room, though it might have just as easily been an illusory scene, or a form of scrying mirror as well.

“That she did.” Velkyn said as he took Yuvaraj’s skull out of a bag of holding. “Though you might find the “codex” to be a bit different from what you might have expected. Aspaseka certainly was surprised.”

Victor was already on edge due to being surrounded by miles upon miles of aggregated undead bones. He could imagine sentient undead trapped within the walls as well, and some of them even wriggling and worming their way through the ossified matrix like serpents sniffing out his life and warmth, thousands of them lurking within the walls as unseen predators. But as the figure at the other end of the chamber turned to face them, he stepped back.

The being known as Death wasn’t actually standing on the ground. In fact he was hovering ever so slightly, with only a flickering, phosphorescent glow emanating from beneath his robes where feet should have been. In fact as he turned to fully face them, it was apparent that he was some form of undead, but not something typical as Aspaseka had told them. The flesh of his hands and face was transparent, seemingly formed of congealed silvery-blue light than anything more tangible. Motes of light seemed to evaporate off of him, and the same cold illumination drifted through the edges and seams of the robe he wore.

Undead or not however, his voice was not the chilling, decayed rattle of a lich or similar figure. In fact his voice, while somewhat haunting and carrying with it a weight of a very long existence, was surprisingly young or middle-aged in sound.

“Death?” Inva asked.

The figure nodded and turned to look at the skull in Velkyn’s hands. “You are quite correct. That’s not what I was expecting.”

“You’re the second person to have said that today.” Yuvaraj replied. “And once again I’m forced to say the same. You’ve certainly found yourself a curious way to avoid mortality.”

Death drifted towards Velkyn and accepted the mimir, “And so have you. I would not have expected the Untheric gods to be so vindictive as to enslave you thusly. Your sentience will be an aid, as callous as that might sound.”

They handed over the skull of the former Imaskari emperor, and explained the circumstances that they’d found him in, and whatever additional information they thought relevant. Death nodded, though it seemed that he might have already suspected some of the basic story.

“Aspaseka will see to your payment, and any other concerns that you have.” Death explained as he took the mimir and turned to leave. “Additionally, she’ll bring you a number of potential tasks in the next few days, and you’ll have your choice of them. You’ve done very well.”

“Thank you very much.” Inva said, giving a short bow. “I think you’ll find us very much more than competent.”

“So how do we leave?” Marcus asked, realizing that the portal into Death’s lair had only been one way, and that the room had only a single exit that Death was already moving towards with no indication that they were to follow.

Death turned back and gestured, conjuring forth a swirling gate in the room’s center. Cold, gray light leaked out from the gap between the planes, leaving no question as to where it went. “That should speed your return to Aspaseka. But if you will excuse me, I’m quite keen to speak with the Codex.”

“Enjoy.” Marcus said.

“I suspect that I’ll be meeting with you again in the near future.” Death replied as they moved towards the gate. “My apologies for being so brief at the moment. Your payment should afford you no small comfort till that point however, so enjoy yourselves in the interim.”

The gate closed and took them with it, leaving Death alone with the skull of the Imaskari Artificer-King. Clutching it gently, he carried it to another chamber and opened his senses to a mental link to the two of his fellows most interested in the mimir’s words: the diviner known as the Visionary, and the entity known as the Risen. The former was very much mortal, while the latter’s mental touch was discordant and disquieting even to Death’s unliving mind, not to mention unquestionably older.

“If you wish to speak directly, in person, following this conversation with the Codex, the gates will be open. Tyranny’s latest additions have proven themselves in quick and decisive fashion, and I expect one of you to claim their services for a task of your own choosing. I will wait my turn to employ them given that the Codex has information of importance to myself beyond our shared concerns.”

To his right, the circle of glyphs keyed to the Visionary gave no reply, but he felt her mentally nod from somewhere in the ethereal. To his left, a candle in the shape of contorted, tormented succubus flickered with pale green flame, opening a metaphorical and literal eye into the being that had formed the wax from the rendered fat of a dozen true-tanar’ri. The flame sparked and sizzled, like the gentle hiss of a docile serpent, and Death felt the being extended into the candle flame nod its acceptance.

Allowing the pair to listen in on his conversation with the mimir, Death placed the skull in front of himself and began.

“I will wish to hear the entirety of Nergal’s dying statements, but this I must know before anything else. Did he speak of the High House of Eternal Twilight Waning? Did he say where it was located? What plane, which world, any clue to it at all?”

Yuvaraj nodded and his soul-gem glittered from within. “Yes. Yes he did.”

***​

True to what Aspaseka had said, their trip to deliver Yuvaraj had taken less than two hours, and the gate that Death had provided for them had opened within a hundred yards of the Niflheim Gate leading back into Center. Less than thirty minutes later they had passed through the gates and were walking back along Ebon’s Walk towards the Prancing Nightmare.

As they passed a stand of black poplars and a merchant selling Arcadian wine and Arcadian fruit, and a shadow fiend next to him selling Arcadian souls, Victor frowned and looked at his companions. “Would anyone mind if when we got to the inn I asked Aspaseka if we could start meeting elsewhere?”

“Don’t like the surroundings?” Inva asked.

“Not at all.” The cleric replied. “I feel the constant urge to bathe in holy water, or the need to start smiting things.”

Victor briefly glanced at the shadow fiend and then looked at Inva. “Not good. Not good at all. And that’s the least of it!”

The city was relatively safe, but it was a living cesspool of morality. Center was a civilized film grown over the stagnant stewpot of the Waste.

Victor shuddered as a cambion and a group of heavily armed reave mercenaries passed them by, “I can’t be the only person that feels that way.”

Phaedra nodded. “Admittedly the place is a bit too close to the Waste at large for my comfort too. And let’s not kid ourselves about the ‘loths not having influence here…”

“So where do you want to meet instead?” Velkyn asked. “Sigil seems like an obvious choice, or one of the gatetowns maybe. Just not Acheron.”

“Or Hopeless. Or Torch. Or Curst.” Phaedra amended to Velkyn’s caveat.

Another line of mercenaries cut across the street and bustled their way through the normal pedestrian traffic, momentarily separating the half-‘loth from her fellows, and forcing her to detour to the other side of the street. Unfortunately as she did so, she turned and walked directly in front of the yugoloth that she’d already twice avoided in past trips to Center. She jerked to a halt and tried to turn and avert her eyes, but the other ‘loth simply smiled and beckoned with a knowing look, almost as if he’d been waiting for her, or even if he’d engineered her path through the crowd.

“Hello child.” The arcanaloth whispered in an almost seductive tone. “Three times now I’ve seen you, twice you’ve passed me by, and the time has come for us to speak.”

Phaedra went cold as the full-blooded greater yugoloth started into her eyes and smiled, exposing glinting fangs to the air. She’d stood in the presence of her father’s kind before, that was an understatement actually, but something felt manifestly different, manifestly wrong as she looked into the other fiend’s eyes.

It wasn’t just the fact that its eyes danced with the colors and horrific depth of an ultroloth’s, without it actually being an ultroloth itself, it was something else on a much more subtle level that disturbed, cajoled, disgusted, seductively beckoned and horrified her at the same time.

“I know that you are not whole, you are not pure.” The arcanaloth’s eyes shifted from green to violet to cerulean. “But that does not matter to me. What matters is what you can become. Transcendence comes in many stages, many forms, and I have seen them all. The Oinoloth in her grace would accept you, purify you, and perfect you.”

She glanced down involuntarily, breaking eye contact with the proselytizer and in doing so she caught a glimpse of the amulet hung around its neck, the one that she’d noticed the last time that she’d been in Center. At the time she hadn’t been able to fully discern the symbol at the center of the talisman, just the outer symbols of the three planes of conflict, but staring at it now she recognized it in an instant, and dreaded the proximity.

Nestled in a splotch of black metal between the other portions of the amulet stood the scarlet profile of a snarling jackal’s head crowned by a twisting mass of writhing shadow, the margins of its profile pocked and pitted as if by disease: the symbol of Shylara the Manged, self-proclaimed Oinoloth of the Waste. Her claim was by no means settled, but she occupied the throne of Khin-Oin nonetheless, and her flock of deranged fanatics –as much as they could be called such by comparison to the rest of their kind- possessed enough power to operate openly, seeking converts to their perverse creed.

Phaedra mumbled an incoherent response and backed up.

“Even you would be welcome.” The words echoed in the back of her mind, reverberating against her skull even as the glib-tongued fiend spoke them audibly. “The shame of your blood might evaporate, might sublimate into something altogether different. We could show you the way.”

How the hell did he know about her heritage?! Was it a guess? Some sort of spell he had active?

“I really don’t have time right now…” Phaedra replied unsteadily, but with growing worried impatience born of a healthy undercurrent of fear. “What do you want with me?”

She knew immediately that her choice of words had been wrong on that last question.

“Now phrased a different way perhaps, that would indeed be my question to you.” The priest smiled and his eyes once more began to transit through their circuit of colors.

“This is a really bad time.” Phaedra stammered, trying to step back and away from the fiend. She didn’t expect him to get violent -especially not in Center- but his kind were psychotic zealots.

He smiled and reached forward, clutching one of her hands. She felt him immediately press something into her palm and close her fingers tightly around it. “Then take this and find your answers when you find the moment. Those who come to us, come to us of their own accord.”

Phaedra looked down at the thin, metallic scroll case in her hand and then back to the ‘loth. The case radiated no magic, and accepting it might let her brush off the fiend’s attention and leave without looking back. It seemed like a reasonable avenue of escape, but had she been looking down at the glassy flagstone beneath her feet she would have seen the fiend’s triple reflections staring up at her, each independently acting within scenes completely detached from the reality that should have been casting them. The reflection pooling at her feet and mingling with her shadow was simply spreading its hands in supplication, having given her its gift, but another appeared to be feasting upon her heart as it stood above her lupinal-looking corpse while the other hungrily copulated with a reflected image of her in a more ‘loth aspected form.

Her revulsion to them would grow quickly, but it would be some time before she would encounter them again. But she never saw the reflections, and she accepted the scroll case and its contents, paying some unthinking lip service and confused thanks to the fiend as she stepped away and rejoined her companions.

joshhg

First Post
Shylara becomes the Oinoloth?!

O_O

If she ever solidifies her position, Clueless and Tristol better look out. Revenge is a dish better served a few hundred years old.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads