• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shemmy's Planescape Storyhour #2 (Updated x3 10-17-07)

Shemeska

Adventurer
Grandma is dead, and some spoilers for SH1 ahoy.

They ignored the Prancing Nightmare's prancing succubus and made their way straight to the top of the stairs, giving a cursory knock on the frame of the door before stepping inside. Hopefully Aspaseka wouldn't mind them wanting to meet somewhere else in the future, because the "entertainment" downstairs was getting to be a bit much, even if the inn itself might otherwise have decent service.

"Well we're back from yet another creepy place." Victor said as he walked in.

Aspaseka looked up from a stack of papers that she'd been signing. "And into a place only slightly less disturbing I suppose."

"How true..." Victor said.

Apparently the inn's room service had been busy in the time that they'd been off to Sigil and into the Astral, because Aspaseka's rather bloody dishes and leftovers had been taken away and the table had been stocked with a set of eight goblets and a half-dozen bottles of wine, along with a rather wide selection of food.

"Business is finished," She said, motioning to the food and spirits. "So I figured that we could take some time to relax and simply chatter if you liked. Everything's already paid for and on my tab."

Given how much she'd paid them for their work already, and the quality of some of the wine just from a quick glance, she and/or her masters apparently had deep pockets and a willingness to spend.

"Not bad at all." Inva said as she reached down for a random hors’dourve.

"Please, help yourselves." Aspaseka said, rolling up the papers and slipping them inside a leather case. "I was just finishing up some accounting work on something that pertains to you all. I think you'll like it too."

Amidst some curious glances, drinks were poured and the group made themselves comfortable as she explained just what that something was.

"Center isn't your thing, and we'd talked about getting you set up elsewhere." She paused and grinned. "And I've managed to get you very well set up in Sigil, and on short notice no less."

"Anywhere but the Hive." Phaedra said.

"And just what's wrong with the Hive?" Inva asked, putting on a face of mock offense. "Not that I'd be caught spending a night there if I could avoid it mind you..."

Phaedra swatted Inva's tail playfully.

"Anywhere but the Portal Jammer." Velkyn added. "Please."

Aspaseka looked up over the rim of her cup as she took a sip of wine. "That was on the list of possible places, but I figured that might be more than a bit awkward, all things considered."

"Just a bit." Velkyn replied as Phaedra giggled. Going right back to living in his father's inn wasn't high on the half-drow's list of things he wanted to do, regardless of how nice the inn might be, and regardless of father and son being on good terms. Living at home, even if other people were paying it for wasn't a high mark of independence in his book, and thankfully it wasn't going to be.

"Black Sails? Greengage? Twelve Factols?" Inva asked, increasingly the stature -and cost- of the inns as she listed possibilities.

"Keep guessing." Aspaseka said. "Think big."

"Fortune's Wheel?" She asked tentatively, not really expecting for their employers to have splurged on that particular establishment.

Aspaseka grinned and raised her mug. "And you would be correct."

Velkyn, Phaedra and Inva had giddy looks on their faces. The Wheel was expensive and extravagant, being a high-priced combination of a gambling hall, fest-hall, several different bars and expensive and exclusive rooms for rent above the ground floor. For several centuries, approaching six hundred years now, it had been Sigil's most prestigious inn. In fact, its prestige and quality had only increased since it was remodeled and rebuilt following the incident a hundred and fifty years back when it had been reduced to little more than a smoking crater, a crime which while still officially unsolved, had not held back the inn at any point during its phoenix-like rebirth.

"Wow." Velkyn said. "You're paying for us to stay there?"

"Indeed." Aspaseka confirmed. "Already set up, and rent is paid for in advance for a while to come."

"I'll drink to that." Inva downed her wine like a shot of liquor. She looked over to the others, ignoring the purple smudge on her lips. "And you'll all drink to it as well. Expensive but hard as heck to come by. It's an opportunity given the sort of people that frequent that place."

"I like to treat the people working for me as best as I can." Aspaseka said.

Clearly so if she was buying them a suite of rooms at the most expensive in the whole of the City of Doors. She leaned back in her chair and looked quite pleased with herself, happy to see that the effort hadn't been wasted as most of them understood the significance of it all. Only Marcus, Francesca and Garibaldi hadn't immediately taken it all in, but they were primes with little knowledge of Sigil, so no worry there. They'd get the best the city had to offer, and without a stinger spent from their pocket.

Wine continued to flow and the food slowly vanished, only to be replaced with more by one of the Nightmare's serving staff, and the group relaxed and enjoyed themselves. Eventually though, out of curiosity or simply spirit loosened tongues, they had a few questions to ask their employers' servant.

"Can I assume that we're not the only people working for you." Marcus asked. "Given how much you're spending, and how new we are to working for you, it would seem like you'd have more than just us."

"Well, you're not working for me." Aspaseka corrected. "I just pay people, recruit people, and all sorts of middle management tasks. I'm a bit like an over glorified taskmaster for a mercenary company like you'd find in Rigus."

"But nicer." Velkyn said. "Much nicer."

"I try to be." She replied with a grin. "But as for your original question, no, you're not in any way the only people working for me. I handle individual people who specialize in one thing or another, and then groups like yourselves who I tend to alternate between tasks."

"Any of them long term, or is there a high turnover?" Marcus asked.

She shrugged. "At most around five years. Turnover is mixed really, between people taking other offers, dying while taking other offers, taking a payment from me and retiring from the profession, or not coming back from something I send them on."

Garibaldi frowned and Aspaseka caught the look.

"Don't look so glum on that last part." She said, waving off his concern. "The turnover, so to speak if we want to dance around the morbidity of it all, it's not higher by any margin than similar work anywhere else on the planes. I value my people for their skill and their competence, and so I take care of them as best I can."

"If the Fortune's Wheel is any indication..." Inva said between gulps of wine.

"On my level at least, this isn't some faceless and rigid organization employing cogs to fit positions. If you want that, you can go find the minders guild or the Ministry of Mortal Affairs."

"Been there. Done that." Inva replied. "Almost got killed dealing with the latter."

Phaedra corked the bottle next to Inva. The tiefling was already loosened up and relaxed, and it might not be the best place on the planes to have her drunk.

"I'd rather not deal with either of them." Phaedra said. "So how long have you worked for these people? Assuming you don't mind me asking."

"Not at all." Aspaseka replied, taking a drink. "I've worked for the Pentad for roughly 270 years, and for Tyranny around a millennia before that."

Well that certainly settled the question about if she was mortal or not. The question it raised though was just what in the heck she actually was, if not the human she appeared to be.

"Alright," Phaedra said, giving Aspaseka a curious look. "Working on the assumption that you're not exactly human, what actually are you?"

"Ah yes, that." She replied. "Yuvaraj sort of burst that bubble on me I suppose when he said he hadn't seen one of -my kind- before."

They nodded. The mimir's comment had been one indication but hardly the first. Her choice in meals and her age both would have done the same.

Aspaseka held up one of her hands and the flesh suddenly shifted to something of roughly the same size, but with the wrist oriented in the opposite direction, ivory claws on her fingertips, and a thin coat of dark gray fur, striped with black in place of any previously exposed skin.

"That should answer that question." She said, keeping her left hand in its true form for a few seconds before shifting it back.

"Rakshasa?" Phaedra asked. "Huh."

"A subtype of Rakshasa yes."

Velkyn nodded, "And can I assume that Tyranny is as well?"

"Of a sort." Aspaseka replied. "But only in the same way that a dretch and a balor are both tanar'ri. He's a bit more than I am. My service is one of house, station, shared goals, deep respect and debt. You can assume that he's some manner of rakosh, but beyond that you'd have to ask him yourself. It's not my place to explain anything beyond that."

"Makes me trust him more honestly." Velkyn said. "He's lawful."

Aspaseka smiled. "Comes with the territory I suppose."

"Well that settles one question." Victor said, taking the revelation that their employer and his middleman were both fiends of a sort rather well. "But I've got another."

"Go for it." The rakshasa replied.

"How discrete do you want us to be?" The cleric asked. "I don't know how secretive you people are, or if you have enemies that you might not want aware of who you are, what you're doing, etc."

Aspaseka nodded. "Nice question, and thank you for asking it rather than making any assumptions. Some of the five are more secretive than others: Tyranny and the Visionary like to stay out of public view as much as possible, for various reasons, while Death who you recently met, he doesn't particularly care. So if someone -has- to know whom you work for, you can answer the question, but I do ask that you exercise some discretion in how freely you spread that information around."

They nodded and continued their banter on a progression of lighter topics, staying away from anything that could have been construed as more business. Aspaseka wanted them to stay away from anything so serious, and to their credit they did so, and as the next hour faded away, they were in high spirits.

"Now as much as I'd like to stay here, sadly I have more prosaic things to deal with, and other people to speak to." Aspaseka said. "But this has been really fun."

"For a Rakshasa you're not as woefully formal as I might have expected." Inva said. "That's a good thing."

Aspaseka chuckled. "I'm not viewed in any sort of high place by most Rakshasa, not back in Acheron to any extent. I'm an apple fallen a bit far from the tree so to speak. Formality has its place mind you, and you'll see enough of it as you see me more, but I don't insist on it, or insist on the sort of station and caste mongering that's endemic among most of my kind."

Either she wasn't evil, or she was an exile, or potentially both. That was an unresolved question still.

"But regardless, enjoy your new accommodations and don't hesitate to let me know if you need anything, or you have any problems. With maybe one exception you'll be able to reach me by a regular sending, and I doubt I'll be going there anytime soon."

"What's the exception?" Victor asked.

Aspaseka finished her drink before replying. "The Risen."

Her tone was a bit cold, and she clasped her hands together under the edge of the table as she answered. Had the others been able to see them, they would have seen a faint and involuntary tremor.

"You haven't met her... it... yet." She continued. "You probably won't anytime soon. But I haven't yet figured out what I'll be offering you as a next job, and there's no rush to judgment there since you've earned some rest."

Inva nodded and added a smile to alcohol-flushed cheeks. "We'll be sure to enjoy ourselves and make a bet on your behalf on the Wheel itself. If I win the Mage's prize, I'll keep you in mind."

Phaedra steered the mildly tipsy tiefling towards the door and they all gathered their things and took their last nibbles from the remaining food before they left.

***​

With something much better waiting for them in Sigil, they were eager to make their way from the Prancing Nightmare, and even more so to leave Center. The nude succubus that was dancing in the tavern's main room however was doing her best to try to coerce them to do otherwise, gender and alignment being no detractor to her expressions, motions and telepathic calls.

"That's really disturbing." Victor said. "There aren't enough cure disease spells in the world to make that thing even slightly less so."

"I should go over there and buy you a lap dance." Inva said, clearly having lost whatever inhibitions she had, either from the wine or realizing that they'd probably never be back to that particular tavern.

Victor shuddered. "You'd end up buying me more than that. A resurrection probably."

"What, the incubus was more your taste?" She snickered. "Sure there's a sense of danger that they'll rip out your heart and eat your soul. Evil is sexy. Even a little evil."

Phaedra felt a gentle poke on her leg from Inva's tail and smiled. "Likewise."

Victor frowned as the succubus said something to his mind both perverse and blasphemous at once, and though they were trying to work their way through the tables to leave, he almost turned around with half a mind to banish the chaotic wench back to where she'd come from. Velkyn stopped him however, knowing full well that the cleric could have probably done just that, and offered something better.

"I've got this covered." He said. "I can only guess what she said, but don't worry."

Velkyn grinned and fished around in his pocket for a coin, finding a thin disk of cold iron minted in Dis, a little something to ensure that Baatorian coinage didn't circulate among their enemies. Roughly the same size and a little under the weight of a standard jink, a few whispers and a rub between thumb and index fingers were all it took for a glammer to make it gleam like gold.

"You're terrible." Inva said, looking at Velkyn's grin and the coin in his hand. "And I approve. Gimme."

"You're not..." Phaedra said with a quickly suppressed look of incredulity as she turned to no longer face the stage were the succubi was performing obscene acts with a brass pole.

"He is." Victor said as he walked for the door without looking as Inva swaggered towards the stage. "And I'm blissfully ignorant."

The others however watched as the tiefling sauntered up to the dancing succubus and caught her eye with a slow, appreciative looking once-over, following the line of her hips and moving up to her breasts for a few seconds of staring. Topping it off she licked her lips and then reached down to plump her own cleavage before leaning onto the stage and looking up. Without question she'd done the routine before.

"Hey there sexy." Inva said, locking eyes with the fiend and holding up the glammered coin. "I just wanted to extend my appreciation for the show."

The lust-filled look, and providing a view of her own to the fiend would have elicited a reaction in and of itself, but the tip drew something like a purr and the fiend crouched down to take the coin. Presumably she would have accepted it with her teeth, but Inva was a bit more forthright about it -or obscene depending on one's perspective- and with a quick caress of the succubus’s tail she reached forward and slipped the coin inside of her.

The fiend chuckled and grinned at the mortal's spunk, to say nothing of the caress between her legs, and watched her leave. Odd she thought, that after such an enticing act she wouldn't have stayed to pursue something else and even perhaps...

Suddenly her eyes went wide.

Outside, Inva ducked around the corner to rejoin her companions just as they heard a blood-curdling scream of pain let loose by the fiend back inside the inn. The tiefling was grinning puckishly, Victor was doing his best to look innocent of the affair, and Velkyn had a rather self-satisfied look on his face. Suffice to say, they probably weren't going to be welcome back at the inn, and that district of Center might not be the most welcome of places for a while.

"Score one for burning bridges I suppose." Phaedra said. “Or burning something…”

***​

"I still don't understand how you can live in a place without a sun!" Victor said as they walked towards the Fortune's Wheel.

It was well after peak, and while the light in the "sky" had not yet given over to dusk and the twinkling of mock-stars on the opposite side of the ring, the swirling, low-hanging fog was doing its best to snuff the available light before its time. The lights of the Fortune's Wheel spilled out like a lighthouse's beacon offering safe harbor to passing ships, advertising the promise of warmth, wine, riches and pleasure, though for half the crowd on a given night that promise might have been more siren song atop a reef than anything else.

"Um..." Velkyn began, looking at Victor after his comment. "Is this regarding the whole drow thing, or the whole being raised in Sigil thing?"

"I suppose it applies to both." Victor replied as he used his sleeve to wipe some of the fog from his face.

"The fog is normal." Velkyn said. "But it's usually not this heavy. You just got it on a bad day. Plus it's after peak so the light's slowly going down anyway, but it's never truly night, not completely."

"You'll get used to the cycle." Phaedra said. "Besides, we're already here at the Wheel, and maybe tomorrow we can give you a tour of what the city has to offer."

Victor nodded and stepped past a bulky merchant and into the interior of the inn, squinting as his eyes adjusted to the light and his ears adjusted to the din of many dozens of conversations the shouts of winners and losers at the gambling tables and the chink and clatter of plates and tableware.

Off to their left was the grand festhall and its dozen or so dining rooms, while off to their right were the various gambling rooms including the inn's titular Fortune's Wheel. The entire place was awash in lights, be they candles, gas lamps, or illusory stars that drifted and cavorted along the walls and contours of the ceiling, periodically chasing one another or following guests like curious little pixies. The Fortune's Wheel was Sigil's extravagance boiled down and neatly packaged for residents and visitors alike.

"Man that food smells good." Garibaldi said as he glanced to the left. "Even though I just ate back in Center, my mouth is watering."

"I've heard it's really good." Velkyn said. "It certainly smells it. I've only heard one bad thing about the place, and that was from my Uncle Tristol. He hated the food here for some reason, one really bad experience with lunch at some point, but I don't know the particulars and like I said, he's the only person I know who doesn't lavish the place with praise."

"So where do we check in?" Marcus asked as he looked around.

"There used to be a front desk were you check in." Inva said, referring to the inn's previous incarnation. And sure enough, the front desk was still there, complete with open visitor's log and a hovering golden bell, but no receptionist in sight.

They walked up to the desk, waited a few seconds and finally rang the bell. No help arrived and so they rang the bell a second time.

"I think he's handling something over in one of the others rooms." They looked up into the smiling face of a dragon, or maybe a dragon, well... part of one anyway. "Something about a halfling getting kicked into the bear-baiting pit by another one of the patrons."

The "dragon" whose toothy, grinning face they stared up into was the ornamental head and neck of a dragon that emerged from -or was hung from- the wall between the front desk and the bar. His scales were a little bit dusty -it looked as if he hadn't been cleaned by the staff in a week or so- but he certainly looked and acted real enough, though he wasn't any sort of dragon type that was immediately recognizable: something like a cross between a green and a gold, with a mottled color pattern of both.

"I didn't think you were real." Phaedra said.

The dragon sighed and gave a wistful smile. "A lot of people don't. I've come to accept it I suppose."

Common wisdom held that the dragon was one of several things: the owner of the Fortune's Wheel, a masterfully animated stuffed dragon head, an illusion, or a real dragon who'd been involved in an accident with a portal somewhere along the line. At no point had the dragon ever actually addressed which version of the story might be true or not, but otherwise he was a rather chatty fellow, ever eager to interact with the patrons, and rather protective of "his" bar. In fact he'd been known to snarl and breath smoke to frighten off troublemakers and issue more pointed warnings to anyone causing any undue commotion within the establishment.

"I suppose that you can help us though. We're new..." Inva paused. "Well, mostly new to Sigil, and our employers supposedly arranged for us to have rooms in the inn."

The dragon raised an eyebrow and they watched as his eyes darted from person to person making a headcount and seemingly comparing them to something bottled away in memory. "Oh, you're those people. A young-looking lady was here earlier today and she arranged for it all, paid in advance for a month: suite 5 up on the second floor. They just became available, and she snapped them up without hesitation. They're quite a nice set of rooms, so I think you'll be happy."

That raised some eyebrows, and not on the dragon. The Fortune's Wheel was bloody expensive, and in one lump they'd been set up in relative luxury for a month's time? Their employers had money apparently.

"If you would though," The dragon added. "Please sign your names into the registry along with the room numbers. It helps with the paperwork and room service and such to keep track of that."

Victor picked up the pen and looked at the next open line, right at the bottom of the page and cramped because of the size of the signature above it that took up almost half of the page. "This'd be easier if some jerk hadn't taken up half the page."

Inva peered over the cleric's shoulder at the book. Sure enough, one of the names was written in elaborate calligraphy and decorated with a half-dozen personal sigils. The owner of the signature had also either used their own pen, or some magic of their own because the ink changed color every few inches without the telltale mark of the pen being lifted and replaced after using a different inkpot. Ostentatious didn't begin to tell the story.

"Who the hell is Nerath the Marauder?" Marcus asked.

"Nerath the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade" was what the sprawling signature and exercise in ego wanking read as. The primes hadn't heard of the name, and while Inva had been familiar with his predecessor Shemeska, only Phaedra and Velkyn were at all familiar with him, and both of them were frowning. They'd have been frowning more however if they'd realized that the room number listed next to that individual's overly large signature was the luxury suite one floor underneath their own.

***​

Eyes were watching them of course even before Marcus's question about the Marauder, and well before a subsequent comment of "What sort of moron writes their name across half the bloody page? Compensating for something perhaps?". That did however gather attention, and once the group had signed their names and room number, gathered their keys and walked away from the front desk, a particularly well-dressed tiefling made his way up to the dragon.

Moving with the grace of a trained killer and the professional confidence of a man with little worry in the world, the tiefer took out a slender notebook and jotted down their names and room number, adding comments about their race, gender, appearance, disposition, and courtesy of a ring on his finger, their alignment. Information was his stock in trade, and his master even more so.

All the while the dragon was doing his level best to ignore the man, turning away and moving his head as far away as being tethered to the wall would allow him as if the tiefling left a smell in the air or his very presence disturbed him. Eventually he just closed his eyes and started humming to himself a little drinking song from a century back, something nonsensical about a "dishwater archon", but eventually there was a tap of a cane's silver head on his snout.

He opened his eyes and they briefly crossed as he focused on the ornate, razorvine crowned jackal's head cast ironically in silver at the end of the tiefling's cane. There was no avoiding the questions, as distasteful as cooperating with him and his ilk might be.

"So who's paying for their rooms?" The man asked with an overly courteous tone.

The dragon frowned, looked away awkwardly, then finally sighed and told him what he knew.

***​

Arytiss

First Post
Shemeska said:
"Nerath the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade" was what the sprawling signature and exercise in ego wanking read as.

Now that's what I call a spoiler. Expected yes, but definetely a good spoiler.

I liked what they did to the succubus. That was fun.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Arytiss said:
Now that's what I call a spoiler. Expected yes, but definetely a good spoiler.

It's... a complex situation. But the more things appear to change, the more they stay the same.
shemmysmile.gif

Shemeska

Adventurer
[Just a note that some of the stuff being talked about here and in the next update is a tangent of sorts, and the 'loths and Phaedra's family issues aren't part of the SH2 metaplot, just a strong undercurrent that touches upon SH1 frequently. We'll get into their next 'job' as it were in due time, and it'll be a fun one.

And while I tried to phrase certain things in such a way that they won't be in-your-face spoilers for SH1, some future plot events are alluded to, so count this as a spoiler tag.]

***​

Tristol Starweather's school of magic was built in the Guildhall Ward, nestled between an adjacent guildhall and a line of buildings separating it and the Trianym. It wasn't a massive building, but for being less than a century old it was a rather nice size for it relative youth in ageless Sigil, and of a distinct style that more than distinguished it from the surrounding buildings in the district; suffice to say there weren't any other buildings with Halruaan architecture in Sigil.

"So where are we going to meet him?" Phaedra asked as the walked past a pair of novice mages studying on the steps of the main entrance. “Did you tell him that we were coming?”

“I sent him a sending earlier, I just didn’t say what it was about.” Velkyn shrugged. "I'm guessing his office should work so long as he doesn't surprise us and just randomly teleport in, which he might just do."

And speaking of random, a pair of turns and they passed by one particularly unique office of one of the academy's part-time, on and off lecturers. Painted a dozen different colors and apparently transmuted into a number of different substances at different points in the past, the doorknob was on the wrong side and the bright brass nameplate was easily twice the size of any others that they'd seen before that point.

Archlector/Xaositect Xtraordinaire/Wild Magic Instructor/Danger to the Public/Renbuu's Drinking Buddy/That Girl with the Hooves/"Achmage" Nisha Starweather

Velkyn and Phaedra gave each other a pointed look as they passed by Tristol's wife's office door, very conspicuously walking faster and not even saying her name.

"Yeah I'm not wanting to get into trouble either, and she brings it." Velkyn said. "Love her to death, but not when I'm just back in Sigil."

"How true." Phaedra said, remembering the last time that she'd met the tiefling when her sister Tina showed up with Nisha in tow. "And since we're avoiding saying her name, I never quite understood why that applied to her. Does anyone know just how she does that?"

"Beats me." Velkyn replied with a shrug. "I don't think her husband knows either actually. He was stumped when I asked him. But somehow she knows when you're talking about her, and can listen in when you do, just like he can, except we know why he can. Maybe she can tap in to his ability, or... you know I'm content to say it's just because she's who she is and leave it at that."

Several flights of stairs and a levitating platform later and they were walking through the upper tiers of the school's central tower, slowly winding their way past murals and statues of famous wizards and not so famous wizards who'd contributed to the body of magical lore deemed fit by the school's master. Eventually as they drew closer and closer to said wizard's office, their pace slowed and they mentally prepped for how they'd approach the topic, what they'd say, and what points to touch upon when trying to convince Tristol to accept their wayward Thayan.

A few minutes later they arrived and it seemed as though they'd managed to catch him at a good time as they approached his office: there wasn't a long line of students waiting to speak with him, nor any other wizards wishing to do the same for whatever reason. If he wasn't busy, preoccupied, or otherwise stressed then all the better and he'd take their little sin of omission that much more smoothly.

They'd never mentioned that their new apprentice for the school was both from Toril, from Thay, and a member of the Red Wizards. Tristol's history with them wasn't all that chipper.

Velkyn knocked on the door and waited. A moment passed and he shrugged and tentatively knocked a second time, only to be interrupted by the flash of a teleport as they vanished and reappeared inside Tristol's study.

"Well that was different." Phaedra said as she smiled at the archmage she'd grown up calling "Uncle Tristol".

The aasimar was dressed rather unassumingly for someone of his stature and power, with only a silver holy symbol of Mystra standing out as something that might not be in place on an apprentice mage. From the tips of his ears down to the soft side to side twitch of the tail he had courtesy of a vulpinal ancestor, he didn't seem to play the part and many people might have thought him a mage of a fraction of his ability except for the fact that he hadn't aged in the past century and a half, and that looking at him with any detection spells was almost blinding.

Suffice to say, the red wizard they had in their bag of holding could have gotten worse teachers.

"Hi there Uncle Tristol!" Phaedra and Velkyn both said with a smile as they exchanged quick hugs and handshakes before the mage looked at them with an expression usually reserved for a parent who knew that their kids wanted something.

"So what's up?" He asked, tilting his head a bit.

"Well..." Velkyn began. "So we went out on our first paid job!"

Tristol smiled. Another generation was growing up and it was good to see them striking out on their own. "So how was it?"

"Um... a little dark. A little dank. You know dungeon crawls." Velkyn said, motioning with his hand. "There was a succubus - but Phae took care of it."

Phaedra made a face and pantomimed some of the succubus's body language just before emphatically pantomiming her own beating of the fiend.

Velkyn gestured to the half 'loth's physical hyperbole. "Kinda like that actually."

"Seems that you handled things rather well then." Tristol said, "Needs more magic though. Everything's better with magic."

"But you're biased." Phaedra complained, dropping her mime. "And she was ethereal and that seemed like the best idea at the time."

"It seemed appropriate to do..." The smile grew wider and his ears perked. "I think your mom would be proud."

"Hopefully. That sounds appropriate for her." Phaedra's smiled and then her whiskers twitched, "I need to go see dad again probably."

Tristol shrugged. "And I doubt he'd have a problem with you beating up tanar'ri either."

They chuckled and Tristol went about hearing a rundown of just what they'd been up to in the Great Dale, though they judiciously left out details on their employers, that they'd met a Rakshasa in the City-at-the-Center, and just what they'd recovered from Nergal's tomb. For his part however, Tristol didn't pry too terribly much on anything except for anything unique and magical that they'd seen, and that was when mention of the Thayans seemed virtually unavoidable.

There was an awkward pause as both Phaedra and Velkyn turned to look at one another. There wasn't really any way of putting the question off any further.

"And um. I uh..." Velkyn began. " We had something to ask you about."

"Reeeeally?" Tristol asked, folding his arms and giving a mock stern look. "What about if I might be so bold as to ask?"

How to break it to him, how to break it to him... the question rattled around Velkyn's head as he put on his best face and tried to appeal to Tristol's notions about the role of magic.

"Yeah - see..." He began, "Years ago now, when you were first teaching me, remember all that stuff you said about teaching the Art, spreading it to others and all that?"

Absolutely. Appeal to their past as student and teacher and appeal to his status as a Chosen of his goddess.

"Yeah?" Tristol's ears twitched and except for the fact that both Velkyn and Phaedra were immune to such magic, he'd have otherwise been combing through their surface thoughts.

"Well, so as you can probably guess from that, we found someone on our first job who uh - needs some teaching."

"Just come out and ask me." Tristol thought, "There's no need to hold back on me here. I'm not likely to say no. You know how I am. If they want to learn, I'll teach them."

"Great!" The archmage said as his tail swished gently behind him. "Where is he?"

Phaedra glanced at Velkyn and then at the bag of holding that they had the Thayan stuffed into.

"Well, he's in my bag of holding." Velkyn explained. "But before I bring him out you've got to promise me something."

"And what would that be?"

"Just give him a chance ok?"

Tristol's ears lay back against his head and his tail stopped twitching. "Wait, do I need to know something here?"

"I uh..." Velkyn looked off to one side and muffled his voice. "I borrowed a red wizard."

Tristol's ears perked and then immediately went flat again. "-What-?"

Both Phaedra and Velkyn didn't meet the wizard in the eyes, muttering guiltily, "We... borrowed a red wizard."

"You borrowed a -what-?"

"A red wizard..."

"..." Tristol just stared at them blankly and as if on cue in the suddenly descending silence, Velkyn and Phaedra broke into grins of attempted innocence.

"Velkyn..." Tristol began with a serious tone and a sigh. "You don't 'borrow' a red wizard. Did they even come willingly? Is there going to be a Zulkir showing up at my doorstep again?"

"Well he was a pity case... I mean come on!" Velkyn pleaded, rationalized, and explained. "He was left, drained by undead to within an inch of his life at the edge of the Lethwood. His so-called master..." He sneered at the mention. "...His so-called master killed one of the other apprentices as a sacrifice in order to bypass a ward, and the rest of them fled when he died. He's alone and he doesn't have anywhere to go."

Phaedra joined in with her own call for some mercy. "His own compatriots left him there to die of exposure so they wouldn't face the competition! They left him there so they wouldn't be slowed down in getting to their former master's spellbooks and anything else he owned that they wanted to loot."

"Velkyn." Tristol began with a look in his eyes like a teacher about to correct a mistaken pupil. "A red wizard. You know how I..."

"Yeah." Velkyn cut him off. "But isn't it the Lady of Mysteries teaching to give the Art to -everyone-?"

That hit home, and Tristol's features softened for a moment. It was true that one of Mystra's precepts was to spread the use of magic and to foster its development regardless on some level of the morality of the person using it. Magic was magic, and even if Thay's megalomaniacal wizards' culture disgusted Tristol, if we was going to live by his goddess's teachings, he'd be remiss to not give one rogue Thayan a chance.

Phaedra chipped in with another comment to butter him up and appeal to his ego. "And he can learn from a much better master in you than he would from one in Thay. Better you than Thrul or Tam."

"..." Tristol was tempted to whine like a puppy wearing wizards' robes. They had him and he couldn't really say no. "We'll see what they have to say about it."

"Is that a yes?" Velkyn asked. "Promise?"

"Yeah." Tristol held up his hands in a gesture of graceful submission, "Bring him on out."

A moment later and Dakros was out of the bag of holding and picking himself up off the floor, flanked on both sides by the individuals that his experiences identified as that creepy half-drow wizard and the dog-headed sorceress he'd seen. He didn't notice any of the others, but their tiefling Shar worshipper -yes he'd noticed- was probably lurking somewhere behind him to stab him in the back if he said anything wrong.

His life in Thay had made him expect certain things about how the world worked, and he assumed that tutelage anywhere else beyond his magocracy's borders would operate on similar principles. He tried to avoid looking up at the wizard standing in front of him, simply keeping his head down, prepared to accept whatever terms of indenture his new master might request in exchange for tutelage in the Art.

"Do you know who I am boy?" Tristol looked down at the Thayan and moved his chin up with a bit of telekinesis so the younger mage would look into his eyes.

The would-be apprentice took measure of the wizard standing in front of him: average height, fussy blond hair, no sparkle of dozens of magical objects, no bejeweled staff, no demons in thrall, not even an ioun stone or two. He peered a bit closer and wracked his brain, trying to think if the man with what looked like fox ears and a tail might be one of the hengeyokai mages of Telflammar off to Thay's east. No such luck though, and as he looked up into the wizard's face he shook his head.

Velkyn and Phaedra looked at Tristol and then at one another and shrugged. Tristol had been in Sigil or Arborea a lot rather than back on Toril, so no big surprise that the Thayan might not recognize his face.

"Don't recognize me?" Tristol waited a moment more and then prompted him with a name, "I'm Tristol Starweather."

A few moments passed and the Thayan didn't have so much as a flicker of recognition pass over his face.

"You don't have a clue who I am do you?" Tristol asked with a surprised look passing over his face as Phaedra suppressed a giggle.

The red wizard shook his bald and tattooed head in the negative.

"Well, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised." Tristol said. "Thay isn't on good terms with Alasra, you'd know her as the Simbul or Aglarond's Wytch Queen, and so I suppose that your teachers wouldn't necessarily be keen to talk about any of Mystra's other Chosen."

The Thayan blinked and looked at Tristol in a bit of a different light suddenly as if his mind had tumbled to some understanding about who the man standing over him actually was.

Tristol smiled, "Yes, I'm -that- Tristol Starweather."

"Archmage Starweather..." The Thayan said with an expression of wonder crossing his face. "You're her husband?"

Tristol deflated like a popped balloon. "What?!" He stuttered.

"Nisha Starweather, the great archmage. You're her husband?"

"Excuse me?" Tristol asked, flabbergasted. "You've heard of Nisha but you haven't heard of me? What sort of rotten teacher did you actually have? I mean..."

Tristol continued on much to the innocent detriment of the Thayan who could do little but sit and take it, while behind him, Velkyn and Phaedra lost any attempt at being spooky or intimidating as they both started to snicker. It was also about that time that a clip-clopping of hooves announced the arrival of the apparently much vaunted "Archmage" Nisha Starweather.

She peered around the door and waved at Velkyn and Phaedra, "I heard my name being called in vain and... Tristol are you collecting Thayan's again?"

The red wizard went pale as he heard her voice, "Don't let her send the chaos imps after me! I've heard what she can do! I'll do anything!"

Tristol of course could only look at his wife, smile at her and then give a completely flabbergasted look at the poor Thayan whose magical education must have been written by a dullard, or an imp, or a tiefling with an imp. This was going to be a challenge.

Nisha smiled and waved, and the multicolored miasma perched on her shoulder in a constant state of flux momentarily snapped into the cohesive shape of a purple fairy-dragon to grin and wiggle its fingers at the spooked Thayan. Indeed, she had a chaos imp.

"Why has he heard of you and not me?" Tristol turned to her and asked.

"Whatever happened I didn't do it." She said as a sort of stock reply as she sorted out what was actually going on with respect to what she'd heard earlier after her name had been mentioned before she'd arrived. "I've been playing Factol all day."

"Meet a new apprentice of mine." Tristol said, motioning down to the Thayan.

Nisha waved and so did the chaos imp, causing the red wizard to jerk back with a sharp and incredibly undignified shriek as he tried to hide behind the actual archmage as opposed to the "archmage".

"Assuming you'd like to be apprenticed to me?" Tristol asked, looking down once more and moving his tail. "It's a better fate than sending you back to Thay I think."

"He could be my apprentice too you know." Nisha suggested. "I've never had one, unless you count Tina. But that was more a case of her following me around and me not complaining. If he wants to learn about wild magic I can..."

"Sir, I'll be your apprentice." The Thayan blurted out. "If you'll have me. Please."

Tristol smiled and his wife stuck out her tongue. "Hey, at least he's heard of me."

"And you frightened him!" Tristol replied. "He thought you were going to have that bloody imp eat him or something."

"Infamy is still recognition though." She said with a gleam in her eyes as her tail twitched with its ubiquitous little silver bell at the tip rattling merrily.

"And that's what I don't understand. Why? Why has he heard of you and not me."

Velkyn looked to Phaedra and caught her eye. "I think this is when we excuse ourselves and leave them to sorting that out."

"Yeeeah..." Phaedra nodded and inched towards the door. "Much safer that way."

***​

Ten minutes later they were out of the school and on their way, having metaphorically washed their hands of the Thayan in a way that they were quite happy with, and which they were certain that Tristol's new apprentice would be equally appreciative with given time, and given not too many impromptu visits by Nisha's familiar.

"Well that went well I think!" Velkyn said to Phaedra as they walked back to the Lady's Ward. "He didn't hurl him over the side or turn him into a mouse or anything."

"Since when did Tristol do that?" Phaedra asked. "Meteor swarms are more his style. Anything with more... flair... if that's the appropriate word is usually something his wife does."

"How very true." Velkyn replied, adding after a pause, "Not that she knows how she does it of course."

Phaedra shook her head. "That's frightening. That really is. Crazy people with power, even amusingly crazy people, make me nervous. And I say that with great irony given my parents."

Velkyn grinned. Power yes, but saying that her father was crazy or amusingly crazy wasn't entirely accurate. In fact it wasn't accurate at all, but of course they were talking about him in public, even if they didn't name him, so that sentiment was believable so far as public speculation went. A'kin might be eccentric, but that was where it ended. He just saw fit to perpetuate the notion of it otherwise. A'kin was A'kin and that was that, and the irony was that A'kin was going to figure into what Phaedra would be doing over the next hour.

***​

Once they returned to the Fortune's Wheel and got back to their new rooms they were both eager to settle in and eventually continue setting the place up as they saw fit. Velkyn ordered some food and wine through the inn's room service, eager to dispel Tristol's firm belief that the Fortune's Wheel's food was wretched, and Phaedra said hello to the others and then retreated into her room and locked the door.

Sitting down on her bed she propped up some pillows behind her back and got comfortable, taking out the scroll case that she'd been given by the proselytizing 'loth in Center.

"I'm going to regret this..." She said as she toyed with the carved ends of the case, tracing a claw over the metal.

Really it was against her better judgment that she'd even taken it in the first place, and her father had vociferously warned her to stay as far away as she could from "those delusional fanatics dancing to the Oinoloth's siren-song". But even though her father had repeatedly given his opinion of that sect of his race, passionately so each time, and she had little reason to doubt his opinion about how dangerous they might be, she was still curious. Even if the scroll was pure screed, she'd know what it was about, and she'd be informed and all that much the wiser when needing to deal with or avoid them at any later date.

Fanatics or fanatics, delusional or not, the 'loth blood running in her veins was bubbling in her brainpan with a damnably lustful curiosity.

"Here goes stupidity." Phaedra mumbled to herself as she curled her tail off to one side, nestled up against the pillows a bit more and unscrewed the end of the scroll case to retrieve its contents.

Her first look at the scroll as it slipped into her hands should have been enough, given that it was "penned" onto a fine and supple sheet of leather. It was human by the look of it, and that the words seemed to have been branded into the flesh by a white-hot stylus while the victim had still been alive, given the manner of scarring and discoloration that ringed the words like a perverse halo of something distinctly unsaintly.

“What is it you want?”

The first words were written larger than the text that followed, and in a more ornate version of the script used to inscribe the 'loth tongue. The words were a quotation and something of a mantra to those who'd penned the scroll.

"I know what it is and He knows what it is for He resides in each and every one of us. He was the greatest of us all and every drop of blood we spill, every cry of misery provoked and cherished, every soul we damn and corrupt is a sacrifice upon His altar. We do this in emulation and remembrance of Him.

He calls us still from His place beyond this world. He tells us of the supremacy of Evil and we as its heralds. He promises power and favor to we His children, and all that He asks from us in return is worship and adherence to that which we are at our core: that tiny spark of Him that exists within us.

As His chosen, as His beloved, as His vessel within this world I will give you purpose and power if you worship Him and obey me as the conduit and receptacle of His wisdom. In return I will reward the chosen and the pure, as you are His favored, and I will give no mercy to those who do not. I am the rightful ruler of us all and in the darkness of your heart you know this to be true.

“So tell me, what is it you want?”

- Shylara the Manged, Oinoloth of the Waste, Priestess and Whore of The Ebon

Phaedra's first reaction was an emphatic snort, followed by a round of laughter as she shook her head and glanced over a following table of depravities including specific sacrifices, the spread of evil sorcery amongst mortals, the temptation of celestials, and ritualized copulation for the sole purpose of breeding half-fiends for sacrifice. The list was long and only a sense of revulsion kept her eyes from glazing over with disinterest in its call to make her embrace the Oinoloth's creed.

"Sure..." She chuckled, eyes narrowed. "You'd probably take me as a sacrifice in a heartbeat if you knew what I was. You probably weren't even aware of the other half of my blood you delusional..."

She trailed off and stared at the page. It wasn't out of a realization that when the 'loth in Center had spoken to her that its words and tone carried a rock-solid understanding that she wasn't entirely yugoloth, but rather it was the words on the page itself because she'd realized that each individual character was composed of a multitude of minute runes each woven together, with the singed halo of burn flesh masking their individual identities and presenting a layer of text composed of something else entirely.

The page shimmered and a second layer of text appeared as she concentrated upon the words. The artistic text composed of text wasn't readable, and it didn't appear to be intended to be so at all, but it scribed an obscuring magic across the scroll's true contents, presumably to shield it from the eyes of anyone not desired to casually peruse its message.

"What the hell..." Phaedra whispered with apprehension as her ears slowly retreated back along the side of her skull.

The revealed text was written in a bizarre form of yugoloth, words within words written in flowing, artistic designs that shifted in a progression of sickening, cavorting figures as each line was read and each block of text deciphered and understood. The pages danced beneath her eyes and with each revealed horror, the page was speaking to Phaedra with a telepathic resonance embedded into the scroll, pumping directly into her mind with its author's words.

"Hello my wayward little one." The words were spoken in a calm, charismatic female yugoloth's voice that exuded malice and felt both cold and abhorrent at the same time that it felt comforting and seductive, likely a product of her dual-natured essence. And what was more, there was a disturbing aftereffect to the spoken words, echoes that resonated in the back her mind, speaking in a trio of voices, each of them alternate manifestations of the Oinoloth's voice. Distinct and concurrent, the words were screamed with a psychotic, manic rage; they were wept in abject, soul-rending misery and despair; they were alternately whimpered in ecstasy and screamed in agony as if she were being tortured and mutilated during the spasms of copulation.

Phaedra wanted to throw the scroll away and burn it to naught but ashes, but she couldn't. The scroll held her arms rigid and her mind locked into the stored psychosis of its twisted author, and there was little she could do but shut her eyes to the images on the page and wait for the voice to end as the magic's metaphorical wick burnt to its end and released her.

Hello my little flawed and impure one. Listen to my words and then listen to your heart and the blood that pumps through their veins. Hear me now and then hear me there in the thrum of rushing crimson, in the flutter of valves, and within your thoughts. Listen well and let my words awaken that which you can become if you will only follow.

Purity of purpose. Purity of malice. Purity of depravity. Purity of misery. Purity of Self and Race. Purity of EVIL. Purity above all. Purity is all we have and all that we are.

Reach into yourselves and ask yourselves the question that defines us: What is it you want? Embrace the question and embrace your agony as a cog of the oblivion of morality, a disciple of that which is inevitable and eternal, a disciple of He that shall remain when all is cold and void and despair.

He is what we have always lacked and He promises us a place in what is to come. Deny Him and you deliver yourself to oblivion and irrelevance; you become the dross and slag to be rejected from the mold of the pure when this multiverse is reforged according to His will, according to Our will. And will is all that there is in this life.

What is it you want? That is now my question. These are now my words.

“And we Yugoloths, we are free. I am free. Embrace the question, embrace your desires, embrace yourself. Elevate your Hellbound soul as you prostrate yourself in chains before that which we embody. For it is the question that drives us.”

You have been deceived. We have all been deceived. Those who created us as children, the Baernaloths, they have always told us that we were their favored and their chosen. We were to be exalted above all others, a special place made for us amongst the cosmos, a purpose. We are nothing to them but tools and puppets. There is no place for us in their aims. They do not reserve a favored role for us in their multiverse. We are nothing to them.

But they made us too well you see, and now He has now become something greater than they are capable of becoming or understanding. He has seen The Source that birthed us all, they and us both, and He will give us what they will never provide. We are to become greater than our makers, to polish our knives as we kneel before them, to deceive while we grovel and then to rut upon their graves when we have erased them as irrelevant in the path of Evil that we forge for ourselves at His direction.

Do not believe that The Ebon failed. No. All was according to His will and He has become something greater than any could have foreseen. Do not believe the whispers of celestials and fools, nor the dictates of the General and the Tower, all of whom say that He failed. He did not fail, and I wait and I watch for the signs of his influence to manifest themselves in this world.

I am cold, I am abandoned, but I am never alone…

Seek His whispers and His presence. Go the Vale of Frozen Ashes and find yourself there. Go and listen and there be made pure. And when you have, you shall know what you must do my children.

5 was 4 and 3 was 1. Out of 1 we are many; out of 2 there comes 3, and out of those 4 that were there is made but one who we embody.

These glorious perversions that we are, “We are perfection born of horror. Out of purposeless agony is born purpose, out of meaninglessness is born meaning. Out of pain we arise to turn the multiverse upon the spit once more. The cycle repeats over and over and the planes fuel our hunger against all reason. Out of their miseries we emerge. Out of their agony We exist.”

The voice in her head trailed off with a combination of a death rattle and a final exhalation of carnal pleasure, and as the magic died, there was a palpable feeling of a hand cradling her cheek and clutching the fingers that held the scroll and its tainted theology. The Oinoloth's words festered in her mind like crawling insects and spreading contagion worming their way across her senses, and then as the magic expired they were suddenly gone and she was left mercifully alone.

Looking down at the scroll-case with a sense of disgust and revulsion, Phaedra shuddered and knocked it to the floor. Why the hell was half of her heritage as f*cked up as it seemed to be, and why did both of them want to bring her into the fold so to speak? The 'loths were just more open about their lust, and those 'loths who followed the Oinoloth were even more fanatical than the rest of their ever-damned ilk.

"That's f*cked in the head..." She half muttered, half snarled. Why couldn't they just leave her alone? Caught between two diametric opposites, she felt trapped between racial goals and innate feelings, and despite the wish to follow her own path, neither side of her heritage was willing to let her go peacefully.

Parental advice was always something that confused, conflicted, wayward and wondering children could always turn to, but in Phaedra's case... the situation was unique and she wasn't altogether certain how much help it would be. Her mother was a partially fallen lupinal, and her father... her father was A'kin and she supposed it was an open question of just what he was. As unique as her parents were, they'd produced children as unique as themselves. It was frightening that Phaedra was the most normal of a trio of siblings: she was sandwiched in balance between 'loth and guardinal blood, while her brother Rhodwyn had solidly rejected the ‘loths and had –so far as she’d last heard- toyed with joining the Order of the Planes Militant and had largely abandoned his family in the process, and then there was Tina who was cheerfully, gleefully insane and nowadays running with the Xaositects.

She frowned again and her mind wandered back to when she'd met with her father the previous time that she'd been back in Sigil.

***​

shilsen

Adventurer
Excellent!

Not only was that damn fine writing as usual, Shemeska, but the use of elements and characters from Storyhour 1 (humorous and otherwise) was brilliant.

joshhg

First Post
Oh, Dear God, WHY?

You know, I read the Clockmaker story, and it didn't give me nightmares.

"Achmage" Nisha Starweather

That will. Though I must suppose that a chaos imp is better than a fairy dragon.

Shemeska

Adventurer
joshhg said:
You know, I read the Clockmaker story, and it didn't give me nightmares.

That will. Though I must suppose that a chaos imp is better than a fairy dragon.

By the end of the campaign she had a pretty shallow arcane caster level. She demanded the "archmage" title however, and everyone just humored her. She was mostly rogue/xaositect/wildmage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads