• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shield + two weapon defense= extra AC?

Rogue problem

First Post
Could the shield I use in my off hand count as an improvised melee weapon to qualify for the added AC bonus from the feat: two weapon defense?

Iron Dog

Explorer
This.
Plus if you are using it as an improvised weapon you are not using it as a sheild so you lose all benefits of it being a sheild.

Sorry, but thats 3.x simulist thinking. You don't lose you Shield bonus if you use your shield in an attack that round. Just the same as you still get the shield bonus for a shield of bashing whenever you use it's magical bonus with an attack. Or if you are a ranger and use Twin Strike when you have TWD.

The damage for a improvised weapon is nerfed to begin with as it is anyway.

You are not just negating the shield bonus but the feats and abillities that the character had taken to get the bonus to begin with too. Which in 4th ed thinking = not fun.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Sorry, but thats 3.x simulist thinking. You don't lose you Shield bonus if you use your shield in an attack that round. Just the same as you still get the shield bonus for a shield of bashing whenever you use it's magical bonus with an attack. Or if you are a ranger and use Twin Strike when you have TWD.

The damage for a improvised weapon is nerfed to begin with as it is anyway.

You are not just negating the shield bonus but the feats and abillities that the character had taken to get the bonus to begin with too. Which in 4th ed thinking = not fun.

Regardless, it still doesn't work. In 3e or 4e, bonuses of the same name do not stack. The shield gives you a shield bonus, and the two weapon defense feat gives you a shield bonus - so they don't stack. Most likely, this is on purpose.

It seems that you are not intended to get more than 3 points of AC from a shield in 4e (and the third point comes from a paragon level feat).

Last edited:

Iron Dog

Explorer
^^^ What he said.

also
A parring dagger (Adventures Vault) adds to TWD. It's an unnamed bonus. A parring dagger is like a heavy shield to TWD.
But it's a superior weapon, so it costs a feat, but you still get to uses it as an offhand secondary attack if you have the power to do so.

Last edited:

eamon

Explorer
It seems that you are not intended to get more than 3 points of AC from a shield in 4e (and the third point comes from a paragon level feat).
As a matter of interpretation, considering that shield specialization doesn't stack with armor specialization, I'd go even further say a shield never adds more than 2 AC. Almost all builds that can use a shield can use one of the armor/shield specialization feats, and that 3rd point is simply there for the cost of one feat. You're not wrong, of course, but that's the way I look at it ;-).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads