• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

shield vs +3 mithral buckler

fl8m

First Post
i'm thinking of buying a + 5 mithral buckler for a sorcerer, but she knows the shield spell. so how exactly would these two things interact? is the enhancement bonus from the buckler added to the better shield bonus of the shield spell? do you just take whichever one has the better total ac bonus?

next time i try to figure out stacking bonuses i'm not going to do it after being awake 24 hours... :)

Joker

First Post
You just take the better one if it's the same type of bonus. Exceptions to this rule exist (dodge, some circumstance etc.) but not in this case. Unless you're using 3.0, then they stack.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
fl8m said:
i'm thinking of buying a + 5 mithral buckler for a sorcerer, but she knows the shield spell. so how exactly would these two things interact? is the enhancement bonus from the buckler added to the better shield bonus of the shield spell? do you just take whichever one has the better total ac bonus?

The shield spell grants a +4 shield bonus to AC.

A buckler grants a +1 shield bonus to AC.

A magic buckler has an enhancement bonus; this enhancement bonus does not add to your AC, but rather increases the shield bonus that the buckler adds to your AC. Therefore a +5 buckler gives a total of a +6 shield bonus to AC.

So, with a +5 buckler and a shield spell, you have a +6 shield bonus and a +4 shield bonus. Shield bonuses don't stack, so you only benefit from a total shield bonus of +6 to your AC.

-Hyp.

Diirk

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
So, with a +5 buckler and a shield spell, you have a +6 shield bonus and a +4 shield bonus. Shield bonuses don't stack, so you only benefit from a total shield bonus of +6 to your AC.

Or +4 shield bonus vs incorporeals !

Nail

First Post
Have your Cleric memorize Magic Vestment instead, and have him/her cast that on your Mithral Buckler. Cheaper.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Cheaper depends on the cleric and how much RP the wizard is willing to perform. Can you say, "Join me for services tomorrow at Dawn to worship the great Pelor and I'd happy to cast magic vestment on your buckler."

Coredump

Explorer
Infiniti2000 said:
Cheaper depends on the cleric and how much RP the wizard is willing to perform. Can you say, "Join me for services tomorrow at Dawn to worship the great Pelor and I'd happy to cast magic vestment on your buckler."

YAY! Infiniti is now my favorite!!!!

This is a similar reason why Raise Dead is a fairly rare spell in my world.

silentspace

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
The shield spell grants a +4 shield bonus to AC.

A buckler grants a +1 shield bonus to AC.

A magic buckler has an enhancement bonus; this enhancement bonus does not add to your AC, but rather increases the shield bonus that the buckler adds to your AC. Therefore a +5 buckler gives a total of a +6 shield bonus to AC.

-Hyp.
enhancement isn't a bonus type? it just modifies another bonus type?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
silentspace said:
enhancement isn't a bonus type? it just modifies another bonus type?

It's a bonus type that modifies an attribute of a creature or item. That attribute may itself be a bonus type.

A belt of giant strength gives you an enhancement bonus to your strength attribute.

Boots of Striding and Springing give an enhancement bonus to your speed attribute.

A magic shield has an enhancement bonus to it's AC attribute.

Remove ads