Shilsen's Eberron SH (Finished - The Last Word : 9/20/15)

Furby076

First Post
Rackhir and AviLazar do like to bicker a fair bit, but they don't do much of it at the table, mainly because I don't like to waste gaming time on it. Plus we've been playing together for a long time so they're both a little more tolerant of each other than when we first started.

Rack and I do like each other. On occasion we go out together to get dinner, catch a movie, hang out and play video games, etc. We just have very different viewpoints and don't always see eye-to-eye. So we bicker :)

On a side note - we sit next to each other on the couch :)

carborundum

Adventurer
I must say, Shil's correspondence has really thrown my players out of their comfort zone - for which I am eternally grateful :)

They're much more metagamey than my previous group, and prone to saying things like "Are you sure he sees me? I'd just like to mention that I'm 125 feet away and I believe those things have 120 foot darkvision."
(The PC in question has knowledge skills in the +25 range, so he can justify it) Still, I was getting a bit annoyed at times. I tend to be more "If I say it, it's true."

I'm slowly weaning my group off the Monster Manuals and DMGs at the table approach, greatly assisted by throwing ideas cribbed from this campaign at them :)

My background is 1E and AD&D, while they are more 3E. I make stuff up, they expect monsters to follow the same rules as players. Now I just let my beasties do what I want and write it down as a custom monster feat or whatever!

Furby076

First Post
The advantage of re titling creatures is that players can't use metagame knowledge. So even if I have the mm book out it does me no good if the creature matches the description of a dolgaunt but is actually a mind flayer.
now obviously if I make the knowledge chheck I should be told what's its abilities/weaknesses are but shil doesn't say" flip to page x".

Shil just has a knock for relabeling things...plus there are so many monsters out there (thousands) its impossible for us to know them all.
shil also uses lots of disposables, templates, etc...thoughhe doesn't shy too far away from core to save himself time

RedTonic

First Post
That's the prime reason I try to incorporate reskinning into my GM technique. Secondary, I like to have new creatures, but I don't have the mechanical intuition to always tell when one of my whole cloth creations is too easy or too difficult for my players' characters--and I'd rather not unintentionally TPK them. It's best to not duplicate work if I can avoid it, I say.

Shil, you said you don't do much planning in advance--do you stop your sessions after your players make a big "choice" which affects what scenario you'd do next, and plan out that stretch of the adventure, or do you literally just have a stack of NPCs (enemies, allies, and indifferent) and make it all up on the fly?

I'm trying to determine how much advance planning I personally want to do for my campaign. I don't want to railroad the players too much because I have some folks I haven't played with before and so I don't know what the group's interests will be in the game. (I know I've already got some of them quaking because I informed them that I shall be using the sanity variant.) And Shil seems like a veritable font of RBDM advice. :3

shilsen

Adventurer
AviLazar said:
The advantage of re titling creatures is that players can't use metagame knowledge. So even if I have the mm book out it does me no good if the creature matches the description of a dolgaunt but is actually a mind flayer.
now obviously if I make the knowledge chheck I should be told what's its abilities/weaknesses are but shil doesn't say" flip to page x".

All true, except near the end of the Guardian Angels campaign, where Nameless had a godawfully high Knowledge bonus in almost everything, so if the PCs encountered something from the standard MM, I told him he knew everything about it.

That's the prime reason I try to incorporate reskinning into my GM technique. Secondary, I like to have new creatures, but I don't have the mechanical intuition to always tell when one of my whole cloth creations is too easy or too difficult for my players' characters--and I'd rather not unintentionally TPK them. It's best to not duplicate work if I can avoid it, I say.

Luckily, I'm very good at working out mechanics (both in evaluating something at first glance and making up stuff on the fly), so I've rarely had occasions where I miscalculated how tough something would be to fight. That said, there's so much work in DMing that I try to keep extra time to a minimum, hence the use of existing material wherever possible.

Shil, you said you don't do much planning in advance--do you stop your sessions after your players make a big "choice" which affects what scenario you'd do next, and plan out that stretch of the adventure, or do you literally just have a stack of NPCs (enemies, allies, and indifferent) and make it all up on the fly?

Somewhere in between. I definitely don't make it all up on the fly, but since I'm big on PC/player choice driving direction and in certain situations (a lot of the time in Sharn, for example) I can't really predict where PCs will go next, I'm always ready to deal with things I haven't prepped for. In general, when I start a session I have a few encounters (not necessarily combat) planned which I think PCs might run into and some general information I think I might need, and that's about it. Anything I didn't include or plan for I just wing when needed.

I don't think I've ever ended a session purely because the PCs made a big choice I didn't plan for, and I've run a couple of combat encounters (though very few) where I had no stats ready whatsoever. Since I can crunch numbers pretty well in my head, I just picked AC, attacks, damage, saves, etc. which seemed reasonable (and in 3e you can get a very wide range, so I knew I was in the right ballpark) and ran with it. I've gathered after talking to my players that they never knew which one was planned and which one wasn't :)

I'm trying to determine how much advance planning I personally want to do for my campaign. I don't want to railroad the players too much because I have some folks I haven't played with before and so I don't know what the group's interests will be in the game. (I know I've already got some of them quaking because I informed them that I shall be using the sanity variant.)

I'm a big fan of trying to do a good mix of what works for the players and, of course, what suits you as a DM, so I'd get as much feedback as possible before and during the game. And be prepared for the fact that many people can't really articulate what they want.

And Shil seems like a veritable font of RBDM advice. :3

I aim to please :cool:

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Furby076

First Post
Luckily, I'm very good at working out mechanics (both in evaluating something at first glance and making up stuff on the fly), so I've rarely had occasions where I miscalculated how tough something would be to fight.

How many sessions and how many deaths did we have in the GA campaign? :)

Krellic

Explorer
I've been ploughing through this Story Hour over the last few days and it seems I'm just in time for the big finish!

Very enjoyable and it's certainly made me ask myself a few questions about the kind of campaign I want to run next...

Remove ads