Shilsen's Eberron SH (Finished - The Last Word : 9/20/15)

Rackhir

Explorer
Prior to this event, Rackhir and I sat at my house one night trying to hatch the plans. There was no way we would be able to comb through the entire groups spell list and ability list to figure out what to do during session.

I had already combed through the spell lists, that wasn't the issue, what you mention below was. I was concerned about actually getting us to work as a team for once. It was nice that it paid off in spades.

I think Rackhir and I sat for 1-2 hours? (do you remember rack)? The biggest hurdle, however, was to get the entire group to work as a group and follow the plan. Everyone wants to shine and do something cool (aka hit with big numbers), and people hate to follow orders while playing games (we do it during work all the time).

IMHO, it's not a question of willingness to follow orders, I'm not big on giving orders and nobody in the group was ever very interested in taking them. It's that it can be as much as an hour in between getting to do something with your character and after waiting that time nobody really wants to just say that they are going to spend a turn waiting to disrupt casting by one of the enemies or just going I Heal X and then waiting another hour to get to do something.

What seemed exciting in the story wasn't that exciting during game play. For example, while the story version of the exorcism that Gareth pulled out seemed cool and amazing, it was kind of boring for me to use that ability (we also had little idea what it would really do). Then again, one of Gareth's best abilities is his incredible crit range (improved crit + Falchion), but this was killed prior to the battle (we were informed that no critting would occur, though Maultars crit ability still functioned).

I believe it wasn't technically a crit ability.

Mual'Tar was pretty boring to fight though, since as far as I could tell, there was absolutely no scope for tactics or maneuvers or strategies. Just keep pounding on him until he dropped and even 40d6 doesn't go that far vs something with 1,500 hp or so.

[MENTION=6694693]Rack[/MENTION] - That number 3 idea, did you get it from the Wishmaster (i believe 2) movie? In that movie the protagonist wished that the person who accidentally caused the genie lantern to be found never had accidentally found it. The person was drunk that day and that is how the lantern was found. If the person was never drunk, the lantern would never have been found. Kind of similar to if nameless was not alive, or nameless was not in the mournland when it happened the situation would not have occurred.

I think I've seen that (or more likely had it playing in the background), but it wasn't a direct influence.

That was Adam Warlock the old marvel comics character. He had a storyline where he went up against a galactic tyrant called Magnus, which eventually turned out to be himself from the future and so he wound up as part of a Xanatos Gambit by Thanos essentially killing himself at a future point to prevent himself from ever becoming Magnus.

Possibly a plot summary I read for "The Butterfly effect" might have influenced me, since the
main character eventually realizes that the thing that's making his love interest's life awful is him and prevents himself from being born.
But I don't think that I read that until well after.

I figured the heroic

Last edited:

Rackhir

Explorer
Shilsen does still have at least one more post to go. He started a new job last year and moved out of the area, so he's been quite busy with that. Hopefully as the school year starts to wind down, he'll have time to get going on the ultimate/penultimate installment of the SH.

shilsen

Adventurer
I wish! I've been teaching this summer and am juggling rewrites and panicky student emails right now. Some of the reason for that is the course wrapping up on the 8th. Once I wrap that up and have the grades in, I'll have a couple of weeks of comparatively free time before classes start. I already started writing the last update, so hopefully I'll get it done during that point. Hopefully.

carborundum

Adventurer
Re: Shilsen's Eberron SH (Die Hard 7 - Just DIE Dammit : 11/11/12)

I mean awful weather while you're stuck working and awesome days when you're on holiday :)

Rackhir

Explorer
I've just reread this SH in all its glory - still one of my all-time faves. Did you ever write that last entry, Mr. S?
How's things, you guys?

Hello. Long time no see.

Shil and Gareth's player had a bad argument over how he felt Gareth was being portrayed and how he thought Shil was likely to describe Gareth's actions in the final installment of the SH. I suspect that the argument basically killed Shil's desire to finish writing it.

I'll see what I can write up from what I remember and the notes I got from Shil on it.

Remove ads