Shilsen's Eberron SH (Finished - The Last Word : 9/20/15)

carborundum

Adventurer
Hey Rackhir, how's tricks?
Bummer - I hope they're back on speaking terms at least. Do you guys still play? That "worst Paladin" thing sounded fun, though broke the Granny Rule here fairly quickly :)

We're down to a few hours every few weeks at the minute - everyone has young kids :)

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Shil and Gareth's player had a bad argument over how he felt Gareth was being portrayed and how he thought Shil was likely to describe Gareth's actions in the final installment of the SH.

Was the player right? Would Shil really describe him against his players wishes?

And not to put too fine point to it, could you get Shilsen to do a write up? I have nothing against your writing, mind, but its Shilsens story hour...

I certainly hope you guys are still playing and there is hope that we will see another awesome story hour :)

shilsen

Adventurer
Hello. Long time no see.

Shil and Gareth's player had a bad argument over how he felt Gareth was being portrayed and how he thought Shil was likely to describe Gareth's actions in the final installment of the SH. I suspect that the argument basically killed Shil's desire to finish writing it.

I'll see what I can write up from what I remember and the notes I got from Shil on it.

Long time no see is right!

Honestly, it was less the argument and more the fact that Gareth's player evidently misunderstood a major element in a decision the group had to make in the last session, which would have rendered unnecessary a big discussion/disagreement that ensued. So that meant I'd have had to significantly rework some stuff if writing it up. That, combined with a combo of moving over to a job that (still) keeps me far busier than when we used to game, and the inertia of not having written it up thus far and progressively more time passing, kept me from it.

But what the hell - I'll wrap it up finally this summer while on partial break. Rackhir, if you wanna write something up and send it to me, I'll build on that and come up with a conclusion (considering what happened, it would certainly be a couple installments).

Rackhir

Explorer
Hey Rackhir, how's tricks?
Bummer - I hope they're back on speaking terms at least. Do you guys still play? That "worst Paladin" thing sounded fun, though broke the Granny Rule here fairly quickly :)

We're down to a few hours every few weeks at the minute - everyone has young kids :)

Shilsen moved away about 2 yrs ago. So we haven't been gaming together since then. We did do a second campaign after the end of the Angel's, using the Pathfinder Kingmaker campaign.

Was the player right? Would Shil really describe him against his players wishes?

I would direct you to the classic Japanese tale Rashomon.

The point being that very few people hold an opinion/position because they think it is unreasonable and baseless. Everyone has reasons and justifications that make sense to them and I'm certain that's the case for Gareth's player.

While Shilsen has many talents and skills, telepathy is not one of them (or at least he's using his telepathic powers to force me to say that). So what ever reasons and justifications Gareth's player has are unknown to him or me for that matter.

If he still pays attention to or gets emails about messages, I'll leave them up to him to state those reasons.

And not to put too fine point to it, could you get Shilsen to do a write up? I have nothing against your writing, mind, but its Shilsens story hour...

I don't suffer from the delusion that I am as good a storyteller as he is and have absolutely no objections to him doing so, I was simply operating under the assumption that if he hadn't done so in roughly 2 yrs he was unlikely to actually do so.

Obviously as has been amply demonstrated on multiple occasions (including this one), I can not read Shil's mind either, but you can probably thank Carborundum for raising the question and sparking this chain of messages.

In fact Carborundum. By the power invested in me (by nobody really) I here by dub thee "#1 Fan of the Guardian Angels", with all privileges, responsibilities and insanity entailed within.

On a side note, if you are interested in how I would write something up I did actually write about 95% of one of the installments, with Shil tweeking things to his satisfaction. It was the one where we took down Erma's Emerald claw base of operations.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...1-12)/page72&p=3946623&viewfull=1#post3946623

Probably, my biggest weakness is I can't do the other character's voices. Nameless, being my character, is no problem and that's why the installment is pretty much exclusively from within his head.

I certainly hope you guys are still playing and there is hope that we will see another awesome story hour :)

A story hour is a LOT of work and Shil (from what he has told me) is not inclined to do it a second time (nor can I blame him for this).

I acted as more or less the "editor" for lack of a better word on the SH, going over things and making comments/suggestions, things where my memories of what happened were different than his, or places where he'd forgotten things or where I thought something was out of character. Just doing that consumed a few hours on my part for each post.

Shil is I'm certain a much faster writer than I am, but I can't really imagine how many hours he spent writing it all up.

This story hour is after all, probably a decent sized novel. The amount of time and effort involved in writing up a long running campaign is I'm certain, the main reason why so many get started and then just sort of fade away.

It is kind of a shame though, I had much more fun in many respects, with the kingmaker campaign that followed this one, than I did in the Angel's campaign.

Part of it was my character "Grabthar" as in "By Grabthar's Hammer, you shall be avenged!" (Yes he had a hammer and wandered around looking for something to avenge). He was the polar opposite of Nameless (by design) and was much more upbeat, positive and energetic. Nameless was pretty much always looking for a "good" death, by way of contrast.

It had probably the best ending of any campaign or at the very least the most fitting. In a climatic duel with our arch enemies just after one of our comrades was slain, I landed 4 out of 4 hits on the main enemy, with 3 of them being criticals.

Crits from a max power attacking, Monkey's grip (larger weapon), crit focused barbarian.

It exceeded the overkill record for the Angel's campaign...

"By Grabthar's Hammer, you shall be avenged!" indeed and it will always be one of my fondest D&D memories.

It also had one of my favorite scenes in which after getting snookered once again by Shil, I exclaimed in despair "I can't out think you Shil".

Which lead to (IMHO) one of my finest moments, when I realized "He can't out think us! IF WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WE ARE DOING!!!" and turned things around for us.

Shilsen said:
But what the hell - I'll wrap it up finally this summer while on partial break. Rackhir, if you wanna write something up and send it to me, I'll build on that and come up with a conclusion (considering what happened, it would certainly be a couple installments).

I'll send you what I've written from Nameless's point of view Shil and I'll work on a postscript to the campaign with my thoughts on it.

[HI]By the way. Given that we've only ever gotten a handful of people actually commenting in the SH and that this is one of the top ten most "viewed" SH of all time on ENWorld, I'd really love to hear from whomever else has ever read this.

It's always puzzled me that there were so many views and so few comments.[/HI]

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I know (I think we all do) that it is very much like another job, writing these story hours. But there are few authors that could do well transcripting their story hours into novels And I think Shilsen is one of them. Lazybones did it, Sagiro did it - although his comments indicate there is much to rewrite to remove direct references to game mechanics. Today it is less of a problem to get a publisher as there are few sites that publish PDF / ebook versions and there is Kickstarter to fund "real" printing.

Or maybe it is only dozen of fans here who refreshed really often :p

shilsen

Adventurer
I know (I think we all do) that it is very much like another job, writing these story hours. But there are few authors that could do well transcripting their story hours into novels And I think Shilsen is one of them. Lazybones did it, Sagiro did it - although his comments indicate there is much to rewrite to remove direct references to game mechanics. Today it is less of a problem to get a publisher as there are few sites that publish PDF / ebook versions and there is Kickstarter to fund "real" printing.

I appreciate the compliment, but there is definitely no way I'd have time for that with my day job.

Or maybe it is only dozen of fans here who refreshed really often :p

I always thought 50% of it was just me :D

Furby076

First Post

As the player, yes I believe Shil would do that. Shil has many talents, tells a great story, and is able to manage large campaigns (which is difficult to say the least). In my opinion, he is hard headed (so am I). While I don't know what Shil is doing these days, I'm sure his lack of writing just has been about him being busy, and not terribly caring what I think (it would be a rarity).

The point being that very few people hold an opinion/position because they think it is unreasonable and baseless. Everyone has reasons and justifications that make sense to them and I'm certain that's the case for Gareth's player.

While Shilsen has many talents and skills, telepathy is not one of them (or at least he's using his telepathic powers to force me to say that). So what ever reasons and justifications Gareth's player has are unknown to him or me for that matter.

If he still pays attention to or gets emails about messages, I'll leave them up to him to state those reasons.

I stated my reasons a long time ago, multiple times. Even in the arguments that we had. Both in game justification and out of game justification. Each player had a specific goal for their character. I believe Korm's player wanted his player to have statues and be remembered (even a series of chain restaurants). Six's player wanted his character to be the patron saint (for lack of better words) of his kind. Luna wanted to go back to complete her house and have a litter of whatever comes out of a pregnant Luna. I wanted my character to go back and continue his work to restore the Silver Flame as well as get married to the woman he loved. So which players direction for their character is more or less important then the others? Nobody - it was the end of a long campaign and I honestly believe everyone should be able to end the story in a way that makes them happy. The major disagreement at the end was how we would divy up the points to use (sacrificing our levels). I wonder if Shil did it that way to cause some strife - he was known for that (he even has said he likes putting the group in a situation where situations cause conflict). You know, the whole -you get awesome X, but will suffer in some hideous ways. Or, make this decision which helps one character, but then you will not have time to do the thing that will help the other character. It's fine, it was his style.

Shil and I disagreed a lot. You and I disagreed a lot. You and Shil also disagreed a lot. We disagreed.

Shil/you will write whatever you guys feel like.

shilsen

Adventurer
AFTERMATH (Part 1)

And finally, only a few years late, here is the completion of the tale of the Guardian Angels...

“What?” says Korm, floating around to face Nameless. “What do you mean you won’t be coming with us?”

Six queries too, “Can you even survive here? And for how long?”

Gareth asks, “Why would you choose to stay behind?”

Luna puts it more succinctly. “Are you NUTS???”

The alienist closes his eyes for a few seconds. Now, with the battle over, Nameless is free to fully experience—and revel in—his connection with Xoriat, one far closer than any alienist (or, likely, mortal human) has ever experienced. The combination of the silver energy within him and his position within the kuch-naa fills him with not just energy but also an almost overwhelming amount of information. Back on Khorvaire, even his stupendous intellect might have been overwhelmed by it, but in his state of heightened power and awareness, he can withstand and even assimilate much of it, though even that takes some effort.

Reopening his eyes, Nameless begins to speak, attempting to translate the knowledge that he feels viscerally into words that his companions can comprehend. “Unfortunately, there is no easy way back to Eberron from where we are. No normal spell or mage, even one as powerful as I am, could escape this place. A wish, if one were able to exist here long enough to cast it, would do nothing. Right now, however, we hold an immense amount of power in our hands, more than that of a thousand wishes—all that Mual’tar and,” he smirks, glancing at the spot that the daelkyr lord had so recently occupied, “Aunty drained from the Silver Flame and the Mournland, as well as the considerable other energies they contained.”

“With that power, we have the ability to heal much of the harm that we have—however inadvertently—caused. We can reshape the face of Eberron, altering its destiny for centuries to come. However,” he adds quickly, seeing the impending questions on the faces of his companions, “this energy we have is not infinite. There is a way that we can accomplish most of it, but, as always, this power comes with a price—everything that we have accumulated and even our lives.”

“Wha- ?!”

Nameless raises his tentacle to silence the others. “Let me explain. We will have to use a significant amount of the energy we have to force open a gate back to Eberron and we will have to spend more of it for each person who chooses to return, because each gate will only open for a fraction of a moment. Passing through will drain you of even more life energy, so you will return to Khorvaire diminished from what you were before you left it. However, if we do not go back—the willing sacrifice of the life of someone as powerful as each of us will substantially augment the energy we have.”

The alienist’s rasping tones are as dispassionate as ever when he mentions the possibility of death, and he calmly continues, “Now to our choices. First, the dimensional seals must be restored. Eberron will never be able to withstand the forces from Xoriat, which continue to enter Khorvaire even now. So we must do that before anything else.”

“We could permanently seal Xoriat away, but that would take a great deal of energy and,” he smiles thinly, “for sentimental reasons I would like there to remain at least some fragment of connection to Xoriat. Things would not be the same without it and who knows what the future may bring? Someday it might even be needed.”

“Personally, I wish to heal the Mournland. I was there at its creation and it seems fitting that my passing should finally heal that wound. So, for that, I am willing to give up my life. I will not be returning to Eberron. What say you all?” There is complete finality in Nameless’ tones as he falls silent, looking around at his companions for their responses.

There is silence for a few moments. Even though they would not have been able to decipher this information on their own, their connection to Xoriat and to Nameless through their shared access to the silver energy allows them to quickly realize the truth of his words. Each member of the Angels mulls over the enormity of what he has said and the options available to them.

Luna’s mind flits over the situation in Khorvaire, the myriad things the Angels have seen and the people they have interacted with, and though Nameless’ words speak of large issues like the Mournland and the dimensional seals, her thoughts continually return to more personal things—her room at the Gray House, the plans she had made for seeing more of the world (perhaps with a certain handsome pirate prince in tow), and, above all, the changes that had happened within her even before she was filled with such power.

She shakes her head decisively. “I AM NOT DYING! I’m having babies!” She pauses to mutter, “Whatever they are …,” and then looks around belligerently, just in case there is any disagreement. Seeing none, her expression changes and she smiles. “But I will give you as much energy as I can.” The smile turns wistful. “I wish you were coming back, Nameless. I will miss you,” Luna says, but the tone holds no hope of changing the alienist’s mind. Then her expression turns more serious again, “And I am keeping my stuff! Nobody gets to take that!”

“Perish the thought,” Nameless said dryly. “You’ll be the best equipped novice druid in Eberron.”

Korm chuckles deeply. “Especially since you can take mine too! I am not going back either.” At Luna’s startled glance, the Gatekeeper shrugs his massive shoulders. “I never expected to come back from this alive. I just wanted to be a worthy wielder of the blade—and to become famous, like the great Gatekeepers before me. I think,” he laughs proudly, “that has been achieved. And,” he glances at Nameless, “if we can strengthen the dimensional seals—and heal the Mournland—which I would like to do too, then they will be making statues and singing songs about me forever! Oh,” he turns to Luna, “and eating at my restaurants. Since I’m not going back, you need to open the chain for me!”

Luna nods and begins to answer when Six speaks, slower and even more precise than usual, “I too would like the Mournland healed, but I ask that we try something else as well. My people have no future, as things currently stand. There are no active creation forges to make new warforged—certainly none in our hands. I would like to reactivate one and ensure that we have control over it. I …,” Six pauses uncharacteristically, a slight hint of emotion creeping into his voice, “wish to guide my people as best I can, and will sacrifice myself to do so. Something of the kind should be possible—Nameless?”

“Certainly,” says the alienist. “We can simply transport a creation forge to an isolated island. Your people do not drown, so perhaps you can found the warforged seafaring nation that Luna spoke of.”

“YES!” Luna says enthusiastically. “PIRATES! Just like my boyfriend!”

Nameless sighs and continues, “As to guiding your people, it would just be… an echo of yourself, but that will not take much power. Your people will be more fortunate than they know in having your advice.”

“Wait!” interrupts Gareth. “What about the Silver Flame? If we can do all this, we can certainly bring it back—and all of you, all of us, owe the Flame. That is much more important than things like the Mournland!”

“Yes, we are quite aware of our debts, Gareth,” Nameless replies dryly, “but we have limited resources. Even if we were willing to give up everything other than the dimensional seals, I am not sure we could fully restore it even then. The Silver Flame is an artifact of belief and sacrifice. None of us save you are believers or have any faith in it. Speaking of which—do you intend to stay here or return to Khorvaire?”

“I have to return,” Gareth quickly responds. “I am getting married! And there is much more I have to do in Khorvaire! The Silver Flame needs…”

Speaking with deceptive mildness, Nameless cuts him off. “Gareth, let me see if I am understanding you correctly. You know that Korm, Six and I have already agreed to give up not just all our power, but our very lives, everything we are or would ever be. Yet, you—who are unwilling to make the same sacrifice—want us to not heal the Mournland in order to restore the symbol and focus of your religion.”

“You do realize, Gareth,” he continues, voice rising as he goes on, “that you have an opportunity here to do what only one person in the history of Eberron has ever had. You can give life back to the Silver Flame, restoring it to Khorvaire after it was quenched. Your name would be forever mentioned in the same breath as Tira Miron and you would have equal status to her in the annals of your church. Your spirit would be a major part of the focus of your religion. And yet you ask us to give up our goals?”

“WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?”

The silence is punctuated by Korm’s guffaws. “Damn you two! This is why I cannot return to Khorvaire. Where would I ever find entertainment like this again?!”

Gareth ignores the Gatekeeper’s laughter (and that of Luna and Six, which follows close behind), his face crimsoning as he responds angrily, “For the last time, Nameless, just because you have always been willing to kill yourself does not mean I want to do so. You are not responsible for the Mournland. You did not destroy it. You are, however, responsible for destroying the evil we just fought—you and the rest of us. We started together, fighting and losing to bandits, and here we are—in some place no human has ever been—and still fighting each other. You may want to, but I do not want to die when there is still much good I can do. There is much you could do … but it’s your life and choice.”

“There is,” he continues, waving a hand at the ‘window’ back to Khorvaire, “a lot that needs to be done, and few out there who can or are willing to. We would serve the realms so much better by being alive to fight the fight—but you have always been too eager to die. It is my choice to live. We all have our motivations: Six wants to die and help the warforged; Korm wants to die to heal the seals and have statues erected in his name. We have limited resources to help Khorvaire and many options. First we must shut down this link to Xoriat—at least we all agree on that. As usual, for us, we agree on nothing else.”

“I will,” Gareth adds, “sacrifice most of my life force, all but what is needed to live, and I want that energy to go towards healing the Silver Flame. The Church was instrumental in getting us here, from the miracles they created to bring us back to life, to the energy we have been imbued with, to the resources they provided and the political support they gave us when others would not. How could you turn your back on them now? Instead you want to heal the Mournland, an immense plot of land which nobody lives on, and where all who have died would remain dead anyway. I will say,” he glances at Six, “that I am fine with imbuing the warforged with additional abilities, but we can’t have everything. We need to agree.”

Nameless gives Gareth a dirty look. “You know what—I am just too tired to argue any more. We will bring back the Flame as a pale shadow of what it once was. What you are giving up is insufficient to do even that, but I will devote some of my energy to it. To be honest, it is only for Jaela’s sake that I would be willing to do anything at all. I am quite fond of her and hold her in high regard. She’s one of the few people in Khorvaire who has earned my respect and admiration. She may no longer be the keeper, but I owe her, not your religion, and I know this will comfort her somewhat. Besides, it should be amusing to have some of my essence in the Silver Flame. So though we cannot restore it to its full former power we will bring back the Flame—and we will also heal the Mournland.”

“Now I do want you to understand exactly what I am surrendering myself to, by giving up my life. See that?” He gestures at the monstrous figures crawling around the outside of the kuch-naa. “I struck a bargain with a Great Old One for the powers I obtained and, as part of that bargain, when I die I am going to be subsumed by Cyäegha. Do you remember what probing the Ziggurat did to your fragile little mind? This is going to be infinitely worse, far beyond your imaginings, and given that time does not exist for them, it will go on forever. This bargain I made of my own free will, with full knowledge of what would happen, because I needed the power to help save Eberron.”

“I have always wondered how I would face my end when it came. If I would cower in a basement hiding from the full horror of what was going to happen to me or if I would be roaring my defiance into the face of a storm, but it is neither. I am ending my life calmly and in the fulfillment of a long held dream.”

“While,” he adds disdainfully, “you need to go and get married. So go and do that. I no longer care. I have sacrificed much and am giving up more.”

Nameless sighs. “You say I am eager to die and there is some truth in that. I am tired, so very, very tired. I lost a piece of myself when Kha’tvan’ga was destroyed—it was no mere companion, but part of me. I am weary of catastrophes threatened by a single wrong move and having the fate of Eberron resting on my shoulders, not to mention having to ride herd on our merry band of maniacs. I know you have always been suspicious of me and I am tired of that as well. My conscience is clear. So go now, Gareth. You have, for the last time, confirmed my option of you.”

Before Gareth can respond, the alienist looks around. “Let us do this! Link your minds with mine.”

Not wanting to waste any more time arguing, Luna, Six and Korm comply, and Gareth does so a few moments later. Already imbued with incredible power as they individually were, the five Guardian Angels feel an instant upsurge of soul energy as they will themselves to link up, minds momentarily reeling as they realize that this is what it must feel like to be gods. And then, like gods, they simply will things into being…

shilsen

Adventurer
AFTERMATH (Part 2)

Those within the Mournland who had participated in the battle and could watch the events in Xoriat via the window between the planes see the Angels stop moving, simply floating in space. Then, streams of silver light begin to flow out of their bodies, thickening into clouds of mist that blot out the scene. The clouds flow out of the portal and into Khorvaire, gradually fading into nothingness as they do so. At first, they later report, there was no other appreciable difference. At first.

Somewhere in the Shadow Marches, Gurr’khan sits bolt upright, sniffing the air around him. The Gatekeeper rises and strides out of the chamber, passing down a hallway. At the end, a dozen Gatekeepers, druids and warriors, who had been guarding a stone door, are staring at it in worried confusion.

Gurr’khan peremptorily gestures them aside and makes a motion, causing the door to roll aside. Ignoring the gasps and questions from the others, he steps into the chamber beyond. Before him lies a gigantic dimensional seal, floating in mid-air above a roiling pool of elemental energy.

Or what was a roiling pool. For the first time in his life, the old Gatekeeper sees the pool, simultaneously a metaphor and a concrete manifestation of the chaos that is Xoriat, completely quiescent, its surface smooth and unmoving.

Gurr’khan stares at it for a few moments and then, to the confusion of those watching, begins to laugh, great gusts of merriment shaking his frame.

The Chamber of the Silver Flame now lies deserted, though the rubble has been cleared away. There is no light here and no sound, other than a faint sniffling.

And then the darkness retreats, softly and slowly as the ocean’s tide, as something blooms in the darkness. A silver spark, which slowly grows into a tiny flame, no larger than that atop by a candle. It hangs in the middle of the chamber, three feet off the ground, moving slightly as if touched by an invisible wind.

Soft steps move hesitantly forward and then a small, dark hand reaches toward the flame. It stops a few inches away and then the chamber is lit more brightly, as argent fire surrounds the hand, outlining but not burning it.

“Look! Look, Skaravojen—it’s back!” says Jaela Daran, once more Keeper of the Flame. There is a thumping sound as her dragonhound companion enthusiastically smacks his tail on the floor.

Within minutes, bells begin to ring out, first from the Cathedral, then across Flamekeep, then across Thrane, and finally over all of Khorvaire, as acolytes and priests, clerics and paladins, shout and celebrate in wonder at this miracle.

In the Cogs below Sharn, Smith bends over the altar above the Pool of Onatar’s Tears, not in prayer, but staring at the markings that appear to have been etched into its hitherto pristine surface. His metal finger slowly, reverently, traces the silhouette of the structure in the center of the marks, one that he has not seem since he, years ago, emerged from the depths of one in a Cannith enclave in Cyre. Knowledge fills his mind that did not exist moments ago, knowledge of its workings and secrets. A creation forge!

The warforged priest looks up suddenly and then slowly nods, his mechanical eyes fixed on a spot before him where, as any observer could note, nothing stands. “To the north?” he says softly. “All right. Thank you!”

Some of the warriors in the army in the Mournland point upward, shouting in surprise. Above and around them, something appears that has not been seen here since the destruction of Cyre. Sunlight. Beams of sunlight begin to pierce the ceiling of the Dead-Gray Mist, as it gradually dissipates and rolls apart, like clouds driven and tattered by the wind. A circle forms and begins to widen at great speed.

Those with magical fluency swiftly realize that conditions have changed, arcane items that had been suppressed or affected by the Mournland’s strange restrictions now flaring back to normal functioning. Corven turns to a wounded Brelish soldier nearby and activates a wand. Seeing the woman’s wounds close, the artificer says, “Damn! I don’t believe it! Do you see this?” The question is Cedric, who had joined him a little earlier, after having collected the Thranish troops into a group. The paladin, who has been studying his holy symbol, looks up at the window to Xoriat, now opaque with silver mist. “I do!” he says softly, his voice unusually reverent. Mostly to himself, he mutters, “I hadn’t realized how much I missed it.”

With it becoming clear that healing magic now works here, those with such power quickly fall to helping the wounded. Though the combined Khorvairan forces have easily driven the aberrations, which fell into utter disarray with the disappearance of Antaratma, from the field, many scores lay dead in the aftermath, with even more suffering from the lack of healing here.

Evidently healing magic is not the only thing that is possible now. The three surviving dragons had drawn apart from the humanoids and clustered together around the bodies of their two slain compatriots. Now two of them speak arcane words and disappear, along with the corpses. The last, Essirise, takes wing, soaring upward and passing through the widening hole in the Mist above. Emerging above it, she takes a quick look around and then heads south, disappearing out of sight beyond the edges of the increasing gap.

Others also take advantage of the access to teleportation. King Kaius, who has been speaking to Maddox Kaminaar near the survivors of the Karrnathi contingent, says a few more words to the bone knight and then triggers a ring and disappears. Madra Sil Sarin wraps her cloak around herself and fades from view. A fading green glow marks where Titania, lady of the eladrin, stood moments ago.

At this moment, a particularly thick stream of silvery light descends from the window to Xoriat, which promptly begins to shrink. The light descends, in roiling waves, onto the ground of the Mournland and quickly resolves itself into the forms of the Guardian Angels. Gareth and Luna stand in front, their faces drawn and weary, oddly pallid, but they are much more solid than the three shapes behind them. Korm’akhan, Six and Nameless appear translucent, the landscape visible through them. A moment later, as the window above them disappears, the silvery light fades and they are gone, leaving only Luna and Gareth.

A small crowd of exceedingly odd individuals hurry to their side—a Sentinel Marshal from Sharn and an old woman from Karrnath, the general of the armies of Thrane and a Karrnathi bone knight, a former street urchin and a disgruntled beholder. Multiple voices ring out together.

“WELL?!”

The end of the War of the Angels led to arguably even more unprecedented changes than the end of the Last War. Instead of a magical wasteland that was blocked off from everyone, the nation of Cyre now lay open to all, a gigantic graveyard full of treasure and riches, albeit one still inhabited by all sorts of dangers and monsters.

Likely the only thing that prevented another war over its riches was the losses suffered by the various nations and the unexpected bonds forged among them in fighting Xoriat. For the first time in over a century, forces belonging to all the nations of Galifar had fought side by side, and that memory was not allowed to fade, as unexpected allies worked together to propagate the concept of unity. The Korranberg Chronicle trumpeted news of the victory and of the sacrifices of not just the Angels but all of Khorvaire for months. Thrane, buoyed at the return of the Silver Flame, threw its support squarely behind Breland’s call for greater diplomatic relations between the nations. To the surprise of many, Karrnath fully supported this move, Kaius joining Boranel and Jaela Daran in calling for the Second Council of Thronehold. Even more amazingly, the Hags of Droaam pledged their full support and were rewarded by a seat at the Second Council, with the nation of Droaam being officially recognized as a country in the Second Thronehold Accords that followed the Council. As was the Protectorate of Cyre.

Instead of another war over the land of Cyre, what followed was a peaceful influx of colonists from across Khorvaire, led by former Cyrans and aided by troops from every nation. Slowly but surely, the land was cleansed and reclaimed, and construction begun of a brand-new capital, appropriately called New Cyre.

Naturally, memorials of the Guardian Angels proliferated across the continent, ranging from the action figures that House Cannith created to the various monuments that were created, the greatest of them the Pillar of the Angels in New Cyre.

A much starker reminder of their activities was the mile-long scar that never disappeared from the surface of Cyre, marking where the final battle against Antaratma and Mual’Tar had begun. Nothing would ever grow there and, eventually, the Gatekeepers were given permission to grow a gigantic grove in a ring around the spot, and to guard it from the odd cultist and, more commonly, tourists who would seek to visit the place.

Various legends grew up around the Grove of the Angels, most of them almost certainly false. The only one that appeared to be true, confirmed by hundreds of watchers every year, was that a great silver dragon would descend onto the Scar at dusk on every anniversary of the battle. It would sit there silently through the night, staring at the moons and the Ring of Siberys as it revolved above, and then disappear into the sky again as dawn arose.

As for the surviving Angels, Luna and Gareth initially returned to Sharn. Both were heavily diminished by their experience on Xoriat, and nothing they could do would ever increase their power again. But they were two of the richest and best known individuals in Khorvaire and, though they did have some enemies remaining, they led a charmed life. Foes discovered that attacking them instantly led a deadly group of guardians to appear from nowhere.

As he had intended, Gareth married Lalia at the most lavish marriage seen in Sharn in living memory, with a collection of guests that no monarch could rival. Afterward, he moved to his estate outside Karrlakton, though its magical link to Sharn meant that he essentially lived in the two nations, eventually taking over as the Karrnathi ambassador to Sharn, speaking for the Silver Flame in both political and theological venues. In view of the weakening of the Silver Flame, he had much to do in both areas.

After serving simultaneously as maid of honor and master-of-ceremonies at Gareth’s wedding, Luna took over ownership (and, of course, interior decoration) of the Gray House. She also became a fixture in Sharn high society, though the resources that she possessed meant that she also spent a significant amount of time traveling. Much of the time she was in the Lhazaar Principalities, usually at the home of Prince Oargev, though rumors also claimed that she traveled to some other unnamed location in the area. Uncharacteristically, she refused to answer questions about such activities, other than sometimes saying “Aaarrr!” and winking meaningfully at interlocutors.

As for the Guardian Angels who had sacrificed their lives…

Shortly after the end of the War, a small cult grew up around Six, some of the more religious warforged seeing him as a representative of Onatar who had actually walked the ground of Khorvaire. Rumors spread that his influence had manifested in other ways, granting unusual powers to some of his chosen. Smith, the custodian of the Pool of Onatar’s Tears, denied such stories when interviewed by the Korranberg Chronicle, but the disappearance of the priest (and a number of other prominent warforged individuals) from Sharn shortly afterward only added to the rumors. Some said that he was later sighted in the Lhazaar Principalities with Luna, but there was no proof of such an event.

The active role of the Gatekeepers against the forces of Xoriat, especially in the Shadow Marches, led to a significant increase in their numbers after the War of the Angels ended. Thousands, whether young acolytes or experienced warriors, joined their ranks, swelling the Gatekeepers to numbers unseen since in a millennium. The most skilled were formed into an elite brigade, Bearers of the Blade, tasked to travel the Marches and eradicate remaining aberration forces. They wielded swords fashioned to resemble Korm’akhan’s meteoric sword, a right gained by passing a series of secret trials, rumored to be administered by a giant beholder, and took him as their model. Beyond the Marches, of course, Korm was most widely commemorated by the chain of Spice Hut restaurants that Luna talked House Ghallanda into creating.

Of Nameless nothing more was ever known.

Except to one, who sat in a silent chamber in Sharn, over a certain staff, sent back to her via Luna from Xoriat.

Though the Plane of Madness was now blocked from Khorvaire, Trillia Lelleir knew she was looking into a part of it, one last gift from Nameless allowing her to look across space and time to where those concepts had no meaning …

Nameless stood alone in the middle of nothingness, at the center of the kuch-naa. “You can enter now. I know you can go where nothing can go, because you are already here. I am already here.”

A shadow split off from Cyäegha’s form, the only one remaining beyond the barrier of the nothingness. Slowly, it seeped through the barrier toward Nameless, who smiled faintly.

“I apologize for being so slow to realize why you have aided me. No mortal regardless of their power or the manipulations of even a Daelkyr Lord could possibly have gained your attention.”

“But you do exist outside of time. ‘The Old Ones Were. The Old Ones Are and the Old Ones Shall Be.’ As it is said. You helped because I am a part of you and always have been and always shall be.”

The shadow crept over Nameless and his shape slowly dissolved, as did the vision.

In short, though it would be far too simplistic to say that all was well with Khorvaire, in the aftermath of the War of the Angels, the scars of the Last War were eased and the nations united as Khorvaire had not been since Galifar sundered. Scholars theorized that this could be the dawning of a new age of peace.

…until Luna’s children were born.

Remove ads