• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shilsen's Eberron SH (Finished - The Last Word : 9/20/15)

Rackhir

Explorer
No rush - though I'm very curious as to this amazing moment :)

Have we had the first most amazing moment yet, or is it also still in the wings?

Not amazing, just my second favorite moment.

First was

“You’re white. That’s good – it’ll match our drapes.”

Most amazing was winning an argument with Luna.

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
Sure enough, the Guardian Angels have barely begun breakfast the next morning when they are interrupted by a commotion and the faint sounds of combat in the distance. Only moments later, their unfortunate neighbors see Korm and Six zooming by, seemingly seated on something unseen (namely Luna in the form of an invisible, flying earth elemental). Nameless and Gareth soar in their wake, the large white wings extending from the paladin's armor gleaming in the morning sun.

The source of the commotion is half a dozen mindflayers and thrice as many dolgaunts, who are currently rampaging through one of Sharn's large open-air markets. As is habitual in the City of Towers, the market is actually centered inside one of the larger towers, extending outwards to the large balconies, huge buttresses and multiple bridges extending from it. Citizens are fleeing in every direction, with a few city guards attempting to simultaneously engage the attackers but stay at a safe distance.

“Oh, good!” growls Luna as she soars around an intervening tower and spots the enemies. “I could use a little morning exercise!”

“Same here,” says Korm, extending cloaker-wings from his back in preparation for having to dismount from his gigantic companion.

“Don't be too hasty,” warns Nameless, looking around for additional unseen foes as the Angels fly in. “This attack doesn't make sense, particularly considering they must know we are in Sharn. It's a diversion or feint of some sort.”

“Whatever. Let us know when you work out the reason,” says Luna, hurling herself forward.

Despite the alienist's reservations, her allies follow suit. Having spotted them, a couple of the mindflayers hurl spells at them, but to little avail. The Angels unleash a barrage in response, which leaves the casters wounded and kills multiple dolgaunts, before charging into the aberration ranks.

While the other four all rush into melee, Nameless hovers a good fifty feet away from the closest enemies. His enhanced vision flickers over his foes, noticing the expected magical auras on their items and persons – and something else. “There's definitely something odd going on,” he transmits quickly over the telepathic bond linking him to the other Angels. “Each mindflayer has a strong conjuration aura in its chest. I suspect a...”

Before he can hazard a theory, Gareth finds a way to confirm what it is. Having flown right up to a hastily retreating mindflayer, the paladin smites him mightily, driving the Endless Blade right through the unfortunate creature's skull. The mindflayer collapses instantly – and then implodes, leaving not a shred of itself behind.

“Huh? Did you see what …,” the paladin begins, quickly turning to his allies, only to see each of the other mindflayers, including ones which have not even been touched, similarly implode. “Um – did I just kill them all?”

“Maybe, but there's something else going on,” says Six, his permanent see invisibility allowing him to see a faint glow where each mindflayer had been moments ago, a glow which promptly shoots towards each of the others.

Nameless too can see them, and his permanent arcane sight provides further insight, as does his prodigious intellect. Almost without conscious thought, he realizes what the pulses of energy are connecting to form. “Careful – it's a gate!”

The others, beside Six, cannot see what the alienist is looking at, but they do see the immediate result of it. Each of the dolgaunts now explodes, their demise much messier than the mindflayers', strewing blood and flesh around them. All that remains is a flash of life energy, which only Nameless sees shoot into the newly formed gate.

All of the Angels, however, do see what steps through it. Five figures, consisting of a trio followed by a pair. The three in front are trumpet archons, or were formerly so, since leathery wings resembling Korm’s hang where large feathery pinions once were, and worms protrude from the holes which used to hold celestial eyes. Behind them stand two mindflayers, with the characteristically amputated facial tentacles and embedded dragonshards.

“It's – THEM!” Luna roars, recognizing the creatures which she had barely survived fighting at the ziggurat, having to flee with her four companions lying dead behind her.

“And they're ready for us, like last time,” Nameless' mental voice rasps over the link, seeing half a dozen magical auras on each of the enemies. He calls upon his link to the plane of madness, the armor of Xoriat appearing around him instantly. “This time, let's coordinate atta....”

Before the alienist can finish the sentence, just as in the battle at the ziggurat, Gareth charges forward with a loud war-cry and smites the closest of the former archons. His target staggers, dark blood gushing from the deep gash across its chest, but it remains upright.

Wonderful!, Nameless thinks in exasperation. You can lead a paladin to the battle but you can't make it use tactics. For an instant, as the mindflayers and archons move to respond in practiced unison, the Angels expect to see Gareth cut down by the archons' greatswords as he was at the ziggurat. Luckily for the paladin, the aberrations choose a more expansive approach, instead hurling a series of spells at the Angels at large. Even more luckily, the Angels are no longer what they once were when they last fought these enemies. Recreated by the secret dragon magic of Argonnessen, imbued with the essence of the Silver Flame, the Guardian Angels—individually and collectively—now wield a degree of power that is far beyond the scope of even these elite aberrations, powerful as they are*.

As the two mindflayers cast what most of the Angels recognize as chain dispels, Nameless and Korm simultaneously draw on their rings of greater counterspells to try and block the enemy spells. The alienist causes one to dissipate before it can strike him and his allies, but the Gatekeeper fails, so drastically that even a swift mental tweaking of the odds in his favor by Nameless is to no avail.** The Angels each feel themselves lose a couple of protective spells, but not enough to make a real difference.

The same is true as each of the archons unleashes a spell designed to turn the target's blood to water***. All of the Angels (including Six, who finds the alchemical fluids flowing through his fibers equally affected) are weakened, but none of them dramatically so. And as the spells strike Nameless, his armor of Xoriat has one of its random effects, causing one to bounce to Luna, while reflecting two of them back at their casters, who are also affected. Nevertheless, the archons follow up with swift spells, casting a dimensional anchor each on Gareth and Korm, while the one Gareth smote heals himself.

While the anchors may make fleeing more difficult, it's not as if the Angels intend to. Reassured by the fact that they are all still on their feet and relatively hale, they respond with a far more effective barrage. Luna casts a swift assay resistance and drops an empowered arc of lightning on the three archons, hurting two of them. Korm copies her first spell and then unleashes a horrid wilting, wounding all five of the enemies.

Yet far deadlier and damaging is Nameless' riposte, the alienist ripping wide a section of the planar fabric around the enemies and letting Xoriat reach forth to them. Aberrations though they are, his foes are not powerful enough to resist the effects of the maw of chaos, which rips away parts of their bodies. One of the archons, already badly wounded, stumbles and falls, its form swiftly dissolving into bloody shreds of flesh and bone.

Six, tactically deciding to leave the initial attacks to the others, quickly hastes everyone with the wand buried inside his metallic forearm and then calls out, “Gareth – hit them before they can recover!” The paladin obeys, unleashing a brutal blow with a prayer to the Silver Flame, utilizing a divine ability that lets him draw health from his wounded foe and heal himself.

Though the attack doesn't drop his target, it does leave him seriously wounded, and the aberrations have other issues to worry about. While the four of them have managed to retain their footing against the still-swirling vortex that is Nameless' spell, one archon and a mindflayer are so discombobulated by the effort that they are temporarily rendered incapable of spellcasting. The other mindflayer staggers out of the area of effect and desperately casts a forcecage around Korm and Gareth, while the second archon moves out as well and casts a heal on itself.

As the archon straightens, all of its wounds now healed, multiple tons of charging elemental slam into it, Luna's huge bulk lifting it off its feet and hurling it right back into the maw of chaos. While not taking quite as precipitous an approach, Six enlarges himself so that he too towers hugely over his foes and moves to block the escape of the mindflayer.

Nameless smirks at the state of their enemies and rasps, “I must really thank you for coming after us. This is quite enjoyable! Please don't leave.” He then drops a swift solid fog on most of the enemies, holding them in place within the maw, before causing the magical walls of force imprisoning Korm and Gareth to disintegrate.

“Ah, dammit – Nameless! I can't see them now,” grunts Korm, before grinning. “Not that I need to.” A swift spell**** lets him 'see' what is occurring inside the fog and he steps closer, carefully taking aim. The unfortunate archon, unable to see his advance, has no defense as the Gatekeeper drives his meteoric blade forward. It bites deeply, but the archon barely manages to stay on its feet – till Korm activates the bloodstone in the sword's hilt and the empowered vampiric touch placed within draws out what remains of its life.

Gareth, not having the same ability but able to gauge where the last archon is thanks to Luna's position, attacks into the fog as well. One of his blows hits only air, but the backswing culminates satisfyingly in flesh and a pained groan. A second later, the Angels hear the sound of spellcasting, as the mindflayer within the fog decides the battle is a lost cause and teleports away.

The remaining mindflayer makes a desperate, if utterly foolish, attempt to dispel the spells in the area, but neither the solid fog nor the maw of chaos are affected. Before it can do anything else, Six's chain catches it in the head, again and again and again, till it collapses in a heap.

From the sounds of it, the archon within the solid fog is again affected by the winds of Xoriat, but Luna doesn't bother waiting to find out, bringing another empowered flame strike down on its location for good measure. The sounds stop.

The Guardian Angels look around the battlefield and then exchange pleased smiles. Luna looks at the corpses, grunts dismissively and then looks around at her friends. “See – I told you that if you'd just tried harder last time you wouldn't have died!”

Only one of the Angels is neither smiling, nor even really paying any attention to the battle's end. While the others indulge in a certain degree of backslapping and self-congratulation over the fact that they utterly crushed the enemies who had handed them their worst defeat, Nameless is not so easily pleased.

The alienist paces back and forth, his concentration focused wholly on one thing – revenge. As he wracks his brains, working swiftly through myriad options, one hand tightly clasps the sentient stone Edgar, which he mutters to as he often does. “Think, you fool – THINK! You are one of the most powerful arcanists to walk the surface of Eberron. There must be a way to track it down before it can reach safety. I will NOT allow it to escape! My vengeance must be complete, Edgar – I must have … wait … ah, yes – of course … it is really so simple … so utterly simple after ….”

A moment later, the rest of the Guardian Angels hear a sickening, gurgling sound and hurriedly turn to see Nameless hunched over and convulsing. It takes a moment to realize that the nauseating sound is actually the alienist laughing, a sound that none of them have heard before – or, now that they have, want to hear again. For once, Nameless has completely dropped the facade of normality that he adopts even with his companions, letting them see through to the incomprehensible madness within.

“Umm, Nameless?” begins Gareth, after exchanging troubled looks with the others. “Are you ...”

Before he can say any more, the alienist straightens, his 'mirth' forgotten as the facade drops back into place. “Korm!” he snaps peremptorily, striding forward and past the others, eyes seeking for the spot from which the mindflayer had fled. “Hit me with a targeted spell of the seventh valence!”

“But ...”

“NOW!” the alienist shouts and, with a shrug, the Gatekeeper complies. The absorption that Nameless had cast before the battle drinks in the magical power, the alienist feeling the presence of the additional energy in his mind. Having found what he wants, Nameless kneels and touches his tentacle to a few drops of blood on the stone, drawn from the surviving mindflayer before it fled. He then casts a greater scrying. And smiles viciously.

“Everyone gather around. We're going after the last mindflayer.”

“Really? Well ...”

“I don't give up that easily,” Nameless interrupts. “And it's time we finished this. Make sure he does not escape, but his life is mine!”

Moments later, the unfortunate mindflayer—standing within a tunnel deep within the bowels of Khyber—gapes in horror as the Guardian Angels appear right next to it. Before it can respond in any way, Nameless gestures and casts a spell, his ring flaring with power. The mindflayer screams, glowing green for an instant as the empowered maximized disintegrate strikes, and collapses into a small puff of dust.

“Damn!” says Luna, looking at the alienist. “You really took that revenge thing seriously.”

Nameless shrugs. “It did kill me … us. I,” his face twists into a grim smile, “take that sort of thing personally.”

* The PCs are 19th level at this point and basically off the chart, while the NPCs were CR16 each (bumped up from CR 14 at the ziggurat battle). Poor guys never had a chance :(

** Korm rolled a natural 1 on the counterspell check, so Nameless used a PrC (Fatespinner) ability to let him reroll it – which he did with a natural 4.

*** That's a really powerful SC spell, doing 2d6 Con damage (save for half) to five living creatures in close range, within 30 ft of each other. I wouldn't even allow it in a game unless with PCs as high-powered as the Angels are.

**** Blindsight (SC)

And here's what Rackhir had to say on the subject of this battle and its conclusion:

This is really more or less what I was thinking and I did break out my best maniacal laugh.

I was furiously determined to not let the last one get away. I wanted revenge, I wanted it badly and just crushing the rest of the group that had taken us down wasn't sufficient. I wanted them all dead.

I didn't have anything prepared of course that I could use to track it so furiously scanning through the SRD I found greater scrying, which could do what I needed, but 7th level spells aren't something you can just pull out of your pocket. So I was wracking my brain for some way to pull it out of my hat, when it struck me that the Absorption I'd put up had would suck up exactly 7 levels worth of spells and thus power up to a 7th lvl spell. Exactly what I needed for Greater Scrying. After that it was a simple matter of a Greater teleport and a maximized empowered Disintegrate…

Getting to crush the guys who had defeated us was great and was something I REALLY appreciated Shil giving us the opportunity to do, but being able to pull a rabbit out of my hat to get the last guy like that...

That was pure gold and one of those moments I'll remember as long as I live.

9th lvl spells, especially those from the Spell Compendium are a BIG step up in power.

Furby076

First Post
Getting to crush the guys who had defeated us was great and was something I REALLY appreciated Shil giving us the opportunity to do, but being able to pull a rabbit out of my hat to get the last guy like that...

That was pure gold and one of those moments I'll remember as long as I live.

That's how we roll man.

shilsen

Adventurer
Awesome! That's brilliant - giving back the gift of pain to those who richly deserve it :)

SWEET update!
After over a year (or years, in real-time) of suffering through all the stuff that I did to them, the Guardian Angels definitely got their own back on my NPCs in the last few sessions.

Speaking of which, we've got three more sessions remaining in the campaign. Unfortunately, I went straight from my most intensive semester of teaching to simultaneously trying to wrap up my dissertation and go on the job market, so I'm insanely busy now and all my gaming time goes to the current games. But I'll try to crank out the next writeup as soon as I can.

shilsen

Adventurer
The next couple of days after the Guardian Angels deal with the attack on Sharn are comparatively peaceful, but they are exceedingly busy, traveling back and forth across Khorvaire to make arrangements for the expedition into the Mournland. The most significant portion of their time is spent of the issue of what to do with the gate rings that Essirise has brought them from Argonnessen. Considering the sheer number of their contacts among the most powerful and influential members of the Five Nations and beyond—and the Angels’ usual difficulties in achieving consensus—they eventually decide to divide up the smaller rings among themselves (excluding Luna, based on the supposition that she will just keep it for herself) and bestow them where they individually see fit.

Sora Maenya lounges casually in her seat, but her green eyes gleam darkly and a huge clawed hand strokes the haft of her huge greataxe as she gazes at Nameless. “I’m still not that happy about you taking my trolls without asking me,” she growls.

“I understand,” the alienist rasps with as diplomatic a tone as he is capable of, “but you do realize why we did it, of course. I doubt your trolls are disappointed by the fact that they will probably never need to pay for drinks ever again with the stories they’ll be able to tell. Also, Sora Katra did say it was acceptable.”

“My sister sometimes makes decisions she should not,” grunts Sora Maenya, glancing sideways at the figure of an elf-maid who sits nearby. Sora Katra smiles demurely and says nothing.

Preferring not to comment on the subject, Nameless instead extends the ring. “This, as I said, will allow you to participate personally in the greatest battle of this war.”

Sora Maenya picks up the ring and studies it suspiciously. “You’re sure about that? What are we talking about – incredible odds, powerful aberrations, terrible danger?”

“Certainly all that and likely more.”

“Hah! All right, I’m in – but you better be right!”

“And,” Gareth explains, his tone respectfully polite, “I naturally leave it to your judgment, your majesty, of who might be the best recipient. If I might make a suggestion, my companions and I have fought beside Sir Maddox Kaminaar and know he is a powerful warrior. If he is not available or you prefer some other candidate, however …”

The tall figure before him leans back in his throne and bounces the ring on a gauntleted palm, his heavily stylized plate armor making his powerful frame seem even more muscular than it is. A grimly thoughtful smile appears on the chiseled, saturnine countenance. “Thank you for the suggestion,” he says, in a voice that is redolent with power befitting one of the three most powerful monarchs of Khorvaire. King Kaius ir’Wynarn III, ruler of Karrnath, says, “I will think about it carefully and make a choice that you will not be unhappy with.”

Korm puts two heaping plates of food down on the counter and wipes his hands on his apron. “So I figured that, considering all the crap you’ve put up with thanks to us, you might want to be in on this.”

“Yeah – I definitely am. And I appreciate the offer,” says Prine. After a pause, he adds, sounding vaguely suspicious, “You’re sure it’s safe?”

“Huh?!” The Gatekeeper stares at the scout from Io’lokar. “Safe? Fighting an aberration army in the Mournland with Mual-Tar and possibly that damn daelkyr lord present? Are you kidding me? Of course it’s not safe!”

“No, no – not that! I mean this,” explains Prine, carefully considering the plate before him, from which a potent combination of heat and spice radiates.

“Hah!” Korm guffaws loudly, before shoving a large spoonful into his mouth. “Of course this isn’t safe either!”

Doran Dol Doras—officially only the aide to Ambassador Tasho Mol Doras, but in reality the master of spies at the embassy of Zilargo—leans back in his chair and steeples his fingers, looking over them at Six. The warforged, of course, stares back with expressionless stolidity until the spymaster speaks.

“While I appreciate the compliment, master Six, I admit myself slightly puzzled at why you would come to me in this regard. Surely House Deneith, or even Medani, could provide you with skilled warriors.”

“Yes,” says Six, “but I’m less interested in people who can run up and stab people. I,” his tone indicates a grimace which his metal face cannot show, “know enough of those. I’m more interested in people of skill and subtlety. And, if my information is correct, you would be the person to speak to regarding the … Shadow?”

Doran is far too skilled for his thoughts to show on his face, but there is just the faintest of pauses before he replies. “I … see. You see clearly what others are blind to, but that is to be expected of one of the Guardian Angels. For virtually anyone else, I would refuse, but in this case … what do you think, Madra?”

There is no verbal response, but a faint movement causes Six to see that there is a figure standing against the wall beside Doran’s desk. He also realizes, in surprised retrospect, that the individual has been there all along, though he never realized it till this moment despite his augmented senses. At first glance, it appears to be a child wrapped in shifting shadows, but taking a closer look he realizes that it is a gnome in a hooded darkweave cloak, features hidden beneath a darkweave scarf. Glimpses of black studded leather peep through the shadows.

Madra Sil Sarin, representative and deadliest assassin of the Zilargo Triumvirate in Breland, makes the briefest of nods. Doran smiles pleasantly and says, “Interesting. I would not have expected assent. She must be impressed by you!”

Six simply inclines his head at the words and extends the ring towards Madra. The warforged does not see the gnome actually move, but there is a faint flicker of movement and then the ring is gone from his grasp, appearing instead in Madra’s. Though he cannot see her hidden visage, Six gets the impression that she is smiling.

Once the four rings have been bestowed, there is the issue of the remaining, and largest, ring. Here at least there is no argument about whom it should be taken to…

Cedric spins the ring on the table before him. “And you’re sure this will work the way you said?”

“Yes,” rasps Nameless. “I have analyzed it. There appear to be,” he gestures vaguely, “some other abilities which I could not discern, but I’m certain that it will definitely bring you to our location. You and whatever troops you can muster.”

“All right. Four days doesn’t give us much time, but luckily we have substantial troops remaining in Flamekeep. I will have them ready. As much of them as we can safely spare, that is.”

“You won’t be alone,” says Gareth. “We’ve already spoken to King Kaius, King Boranel and Queen Aurala, and all of them have promised some troops.”

“Really? Well done. If this works out, the Five Nations—well, four nations—are going to owe you even more. And if this doesn’t work out, well …,” Cedric smiles grimly, “… then it has been a pleasure knowing you bunch.”

“Pfft!” Luna growls. “I am not about to get myself killed. And I already had to bring these four back, so I’m not losing them either.”

“Good to know,” chuckles Cedric. “So, do you have anyone else who is going to come along on this?”

“Yes,” says Six, extending his metal fingers and beginning to count off on them. “You know Corven, our former companion. He is now advisor to Prince Oargev and has a small group of Cyrans who will accompany and help your troops. We’ve also spoken to Merrix d’Cannith, and he has promised a contingent of artificers led by Tarya d’Cannith. A number of warforged from Sharn have also agreed to join you. Houses Deneith and Tharashk …”

Besides the visits regarding the gate rings, there are also a few others that the Guardian Angels make for varying reasons of importance. Luna transports Gareth to Karrlakton, where his mother and grandmother are still living, now at a small manor near House Deneith’s Sentinel Tower. Once he has met with them, Luna drags the paladin off to the ruined mansion and the surrounding land which the Guardian Angels had been granted what now seems ages ago. Only after having thoroughly examined it does the druid head back with Gareth to Sharn. After they arrive, she then goes off to meet Lalia, the reluctant paladin in tow, for a protracted discussion about her plans for Gareth’s and Lalia’s wedding and how it should be carried out.

Korm, meanwhile, takes a trip alone back to the Shadow Marches, to meet with some of the remaining Gatekeepers and discuss what is to come over the next few days. He also makes time to meet and feast with some of his old friends, whom he has not seen in a long time. Though he does not say so to them, the fatalistic Gatekeeper does not expect to return from the Mournland, in view of the enormity of their task and based on the prophecy of Sora Teraza. Not that the cheerfully grim warrior has any doubts or hesitation about the task he is engaged in.

Six, when not at the Gray House with the others, spends much of his time in the bowels of Sharn at the Red Hammer Inn. There he speaks to Blue and Crucible about some of his plans for the warforged—those that will be entering the Mournland with Cedric’s troops, those that dwell in Sharn, and the species in general. He also visits the Pool of Onatar’s Tears and speaks with the warforged priest Smith about similar subjects.

With no other friends or confidantes, Nameless spends most of his time at the Gray House, making strategic and tactical plans of various kinds with Trillia and whichever of the Guardian Angels are present, though sometimes he also uses magical forms of communication or simply teleports himself to consult with others who are involved in this expedition. At one point, however, he leaves the Angels’ home and simply walks over to another part of upper Sharn, finally stopping at a location where few might expect to see him—a very high-end jewelry store.

“That one!” the alienist rasps peremptorily, pointing at a huge sapphire in an ornate setting. “I want it.”

“Certainly!” responds a nervously obsequious salesman, eyes lighting up at the thought of selling a piece that he had expected would be too expensive to sell to anyone short of King Boranel. “And, if I may be so bold, Sir has excellent taste. That is probably our finest piece. The setting itself …”

Ignoring the platitudes, Nameless says, “Yes, the setting—I want it removed.”

The salesman stares for a moment, his expression making it clear that his brain is having difficulty comprehending what his ears just heard. “I … beg your pardon?”

“The setting. Remove it. I just want the gem.”

“But … but the quality … and … and, I mean, the price will … ah,” the salesman stammers, only to fall silent as he finds himself staring into a pair of eyes that have faced dragons, demons and daelkyrs.

As the unfortunate man swallows and tries to keep from wetting himself, Nameless says harshly, “Price is not an issue. I only want the gem. You can keep the setting. That will not be a problem,” he concludes, with no indication in his tone that he is asking a question.

“No … er, no, not at all!” Despite his discomfiture, the salesman makes one more attempt to fulfill his duties. “Would Sir like it to be … um, wrapped? Is it a … gift?”

The alienist smiles, an act which causes the man before him to move from worried and uncomfortable to genuinely scared. “Yes. It is a gift. A gift for my … oldest ‘friend.’” Nameless smiles broadly. The jeweler, to his credit, actually manages not to faint.

Five days after their first meeting with the dragons from Argonnessen, the Guardian Angels meet them once more at the edge of the Mournland, only under slightly different circumstances. This time, the Angels are standing on the deck of a Lyrandar airship, the Falcon. Its sister ship, the Blackjack, floats nearby. The decks of both ships bristle with weapons and warriors, the most distinctive among them the six armored trolls from Droaam.

The sight is an impressive one, though perhaps not quite as much as that of four dragons hovering in mid-air beside the airships.

“I thought,” the Light of Siberys commander Bhirali says, sounding a little grumpy, “that I had told you to keep our presence from your people. Not to bring two ships of observers.”

“We intend to take these airships with us,” Nameless responds as politely as he can, “so they had to be here. Nobody else will see you.”

Essirise, the only dragon who is not in her natural form, having landed on the deck of the Falcon and transformed into her usual alternate form of a silver-haired elf, intercedes quickly. “In view of our aims, I don’t think this is a problem.” Ignoring the loud sniff from Bhirali, she continues, “We have a little news too. We did a little ‘scouting’ into the Mournland and had some strange experiences.” She smiles wryly at the expressions which appear on the Guardian Angels’ faces. “Yes, just as you’d warned us. One of the stranger things we saw was on our second entry. Part of the mist detached itself, took on a roughly draconic shape, and attacked us with a combination of spells and physical attacks. We retreated and tried entering later and in different places, but the same thing showed up every time. It was powerful. Gomashur was almost killed.” The red dragon she is referring to says nothing, but the Angels notice that it looks away, seemingly scanning the Dead-Gray Mist.

“That’s not something we have experienced,” says the alienist, “but the strange, unexpected and inexplicable are the norm for the Mournland. Are you ready to go?”

When the dragons indicate that they are, Nameless outlines the Guardian Angels’ plan. They intend to travel above the Dead-Gray Mist via the airships, using their connection to Mual-Tar to judge where they are in relation to the Chaos Serpent. Once they arrive above it, the Guardian Angels and the trolls will descend from the airships with the dragons, hopefully arriving right above the aberrations, and launch their attack.

Bhirali has no objection to the plan and so the airships set off, flying well above the Dead-Gray Mist, with the dragons flying alongside. They quickly grow tired of flying at the airships’ pace and spread out to travel at their own pace, generally flying ahead and then looping back in a huge arc to let the Falcon and Blackjack catch up.

Barely half an hour after they head over the Mournland, some of the observers on the airships see a large misty shape, which does look a lot like a dragon, fly out of the Dead-Gray Mist. The Light of Siberys dragons immediately zoom towards it, but the shape disappears back into the Mist.

Once it has made its first appearance, the Mist dragon continues to reappear, sometimes almost directly beneath one of the airships, sometimes emerging a few miles away. It does not, however, evince any offense intentions at the moment.

The airships continue onwards, the Angels’ connection with Mual-Tar indicating that they are approaching its current position, which seems (at least from this position) to be closer to the edge of the Mournland than they would have expected. Nevertheless, it takes the better part of a day of traveling, before they reach a spot above it. They also discover by this point that their sense of the Chaos Serpent’s presence seems to span an area at least a mile wide.

“Great!” says Korm with dark cheerfulness, as the Angels make preparations to descend into the Mist. “The Silver Flame must have given it a growth spurt!”

After a short discussion, some of the dragons from Argonnessen reluctantly agree to carry the trolls through the Mist, while Essirise says that she will do so for the Angels, which should hopefully lower the chances of them being separated. To be as safe as possible, once they have mounted the silver dragon’s back, the Angels also tie themselves together. Then, once everyone is prepared, the five dragons dive into the Mist in unison.

This is the fastest of the Angels’ numerous trips through the Dead-Gray Mist, perhaps because it is thinner at the top of the Mournland than at its sides. Or perhaps it is because, within moments of entering the Mist, they feel Essirise disappear from beneath them. A second later, the quintet drop out of the Mist.

In the split second of falling, the Angels see the Mournland a little over a hundred feet below them. There is no sign of Mual-Tar. Instead, a dark forest, one of the very few they have seen within the Mournland, stands below them. Or, more precisely, rushes up to meet them as they fall towards it. Luckily, all of the Angels had taken the precaution of being capable of flight at this moment, whether through spell or item or innate ability. So they manage to catch themselves before they would strike the ground, albeit with some awkwardness due to still being roped together.

As the Angels hover, they see the trolls appear as well, similarly falling out of the Mist about a quarter of a mile away. Lacking the Angels’ abilities, they all strike the ground with painful force, and then begin to climb groggily to their feet. The dragons appear seconds later, flying out of the Mist at various points, anywhere from a quarter of a mile to a mile distant. Essirise is one as well, emerging with a confused expression as she looks around for the Angels.

Much closer at hand, another dragon emerges from the Mist, except this one appears to be formed of it. Now that it is near them, the Angels can see that the gargantuan shape does look almost exactly like a dragon carved of mist. The mist that makes up its form does shift and move constantly, but always retains the same general shape. As the mist moves, what look like sparkling gems the size of a human fist appear and disappear from view within it. Nameless thanks to his arcane sight notices that these have auras like spells do, which extend outwards from each ‘gem’ in a web over the form of the creature, and remain visible to his magical sight even when the ‘gems’ are not.

Not that the Angels waste much time on such discoveries. As soon as the mist-dragon appears, Luna hurriedly summons forth a greater air elemental, commanding it to form a whirlwind and attempt to disrupt the enemy’s form. She adds a swift faerie fire, just in case this thing can hide itself.

The mist-dragon does not, however, show any intention of doing so. Instead it flies in a wide circle around the Angels, while long streamers of mist flow from its body. They wrap around Gareth, momentarily hiding him from view. And then, when they disappear, the paladin is gone as well. The coil of the rope connecting him to the others goes slack.

“Oh – sh*t!” says Korm. “What did it do, Nameless?” Not waiting for an answer, he casts a greater dispel magic, hoping to strip away some of the magical protections the creature may have. And then swears vituperatively as he feels it bouncing back to him, as if reflected by a spell turning, though luckily his ring of counterspells absorbs it.

As the Gatekeeper calls a warning about what just happened, Six hastes the remaining members of the Angels and the elemental, before slipping out of the rope.

“If it has a spell turning,” Nameless opines, “your spell should have drained most of it, Korm. Let me try.” The alienist uses the same spell as the Gatekeeper and his supposition is quickly confirmed, with four of the magical auras crisscrossing the mist-dragon’s shape winking out. Following up with a swift feeblemind, which appears to have no effect, Nameless calls out, “That works! Luna – greater dispel it too!”

“Boring!” growls the druid, who had just been about to charge the creature, but she does comply, similarly stripping away four more auras, leaving only one behind. Her air elemental, however, has less effect. The gigantic whirlwind attempts to envelop the mist-dragon but has little effect, bouncing off its surface and only causing some stray streamers of fog to be sucked into the vortex.

Ignoring the elemental, the mist-dragon ceases flying and hovers in place. Droplets of liquid appear across its surface, glimmering with a faint green color. And then, streams of fog emanate from it once more and wrap around Luna, before causing her too to disappear.

“I hope that’s some form of dimensional attack, like maze,” calls Nameless, adding hurriedly, “Korm, dimensional anchor yourself, just in case.”

The Gatekeeper quickly complies and then hefts the meteoric blade. With an inarticulate warcry, he charges the foe and hacks viciously at it, only for his sword to bounce off what feels like solid rock*. To add to his disappointment, the action brings him in contact with the droplets on the foggy surface, causing the painful realization that they are acidic. On the other side from him, Six swoops in gracefully and attacks as well. The warforged’s precision strike has more effect, his chain’s barbs ripping free a large section of mist as if it were actually solid.

Having decided to simply treat this creature as a very odd dragon, Nameless casts an assay resistance and then risks flying closer, before using a stun ray. The crackling bolt of electricity strikes and, to the alienist’s surprise and delight, the giant misty form simply falls out of the sky to the ground.

“Yes!” Nameless crows, “It’s stunned! Quick – destroy it before it can recover!”

Needing no such admonishment, Korm and Six descend upon the fallen shape, hacking and slashing to the best of their ability. The air-elemental-turned-whirlwind also descends as well, and though it cannot sweep up the mist-dragon, it does appear to be doing some damage as well. Giant hunks of mist fall apart under the assault, especially when Nameless adds a carefully placed maw of chaos which rips at the prone shape.

As the shape is disintegrating beneath the attacks, Gareth appears in mid-air at the spot he had vacated seconds ago. The paladin casts a quick glance around and then, realizing what has occurred, dives head-first at the shape. As he comes, the Endless Blade transforms into a gleaming lance in his hands.

Gareth strikes with tremendous force, driving his weapon deep into the spot where the heart would be on a physical dragon. Immediately, there is a soft inrush of air and the shape beneath him falls apart, the mist thinning and flying apart until nothing remains.

As the Angels stare at the spot where the strange creature** had been, Luna reappears as well.

“So,” Nameless inquires, “was it an equivalent to a maze spell?”

“A maze? Yes, it was a maze!” Luna waves her arms dramatically. “I was all alone in there! I wanted to get out! And none of you came with me! I was left there to languish and die!”

As Korm chuckles, Nameless rolls his eyes. “Don’t be dramatic. Time doesn’t pass differently in a maze. You were in there for less than half a minute!”

The druid fixes him with a glare and growls, “You … don’t … know! You weren’t there! It was so lonely!”

Six glances at Gareth. “You were in it too. Want to argue?”

The paladin takes one glance at Luna and shakes his head vehemently, only half-joking when he says, “Nope. I just came here to fight a daelkyr lord – not deal with Luna!”

* Thanks to a totally characteristic roll of a 2 on the attack.

** Mechanically it was a CR 21 wyrm brass dragon.

Last edited:

Furby076

First Post
That was a fun read. The lance thing was inspired by the dragoon knight ability from final fantasy 2. That's just pretty tight to fall from the sky with a lance onto your enemy. :) even more fun when it kills them.

Another great chapter.

Ps I may have asked this before but is there anywhere which has the physical descriptions of the characters? (what they look like how they dress etc)

Remove ads