• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shocking grasp errata

Faragdar

First Post
Anyone have a clue what was meant by the errata to change the duration from "until discharged" to "permanent until dispelled"? I never really paid any attention to it before. I thought it was meant to be a one-shot touch spell, but if so, why didn't they just change the duration to "instantaneous" like other one-shot touch spells? I can't find any other spells with a "permanent until dispelled" duration to help figure out what it's supposed to mean.

Junkheap

First Post
Because i guess if you miss you still have it on your hand until you hit someone and discharge it. Instantaneous would just give you te round you casted it to hit your opponent. Oops, sorry i just reread the question. I guess now you can use it more than once? Where is this errate'd. I thought it was until discharged.

Last edited:

Bastoche

First Post
I guess the errata still specify that once it's discharged (or dispeled by a dispel magic) it's gone. Althought, now intsead of lasting X period of time / level of the caster, it's permanent.

You could cast the spell tomorrow and hit someone next year. I guess...

Faragdar

First Post
If a touch spell has a duration of "instantaneous", that means you cast the spell and then hold the charge until you hit something with a touch attack. Or until you grab something else with your main hand or cast another spell.

That was how I thought shocking grasp was supposed to work. But I have no idea what "permanent until dispelled" means. If they truly meant that you gained the permanent ability to deal touch attacks that do shocking damage until somebody dispelled that ability (which I'm sure they didn't mean--that would be absurd), then the duration should simply have been "permanent". "Until dispelled" is implicit. If they meant you hold the charge until you succeed at a touch attack, the duration should have been changed to "instantaneous".

If there's no good explanation for what "permanent until dispelled" is supposed to mean, I guess I'd just like to see a consensus that WotC loused this up in the errata and it should have been "instantaneous".

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Faragdar wrote:
Anyone have a clue what was meant by the errata to change the duration from "until discharged" to "permanent until dispelled"?

You must be misreading the errata. The original spell says "until discharged" and the errata/2nd printing PH says "permanent until discharged," not dispelled. The only change was the addition of the word "permanent." The shocking grasp remains until it is discharged in some way by the caster via touch, just like other touch spells.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
I just downloaded the PH errata from the WotC website to double-check the shocking grasp spell. It does actually say "permanent until dispelled." This is odd. The 2nd printing PH says "permanent until discharged."

I believe the PH errata is in error and the 2nd printing PH is correct. Perhaps someone should point this out to the sage so he can have it corrected.

My apologies to Faragdar who did not misread the errata. :)

Cl1mh4224rd

First Post
another thing about shocking grasp. this one came up on the official wotc d&d boards... someone brought up shocking grasp's target; "creature or object touched". now, since the spell is only supposed give the caster the ability to shock people, shouldn't the target be "personal" instead?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads