Spoilers Shogun 2024

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I could see shogun coming off as cheesy to a younger audience. It is probably hard to appreciate how different our expectations were at the time snd the kind of dialogue we liked (I find today’s dialogue a little too snappy)
I'm rewatching Lois and Clark and noticed that late 80's/early to mid-90's is a bit more, how to say it, theatrical and performative. More grandiose in a way. Definitely less coarse and raw -nothing against "realism"/naturalism- for some might come as cheesy. I find it memorable and upbeat.

MGibster

Legend
We watched about 1/3 or so of the first episode. So far so good, but I have to ask - do they stick with the subtitles or do they transition away from them?
In the original they didn't use subtitles and only one Japanese actors had any lines in English which was a pretty bold decision in 1980. I imagine some producers were worried sick Americans would be turned off by not being able to understand what people were saying.

MGibster

Legend
'm rewatching Lois and Clark and noticed that late 80's/early to mid-90's is a bit more, how to say it, theatrical and performative. More grandiose in a way. Definitely less coarse and raw -nothing against "realism"/naturalism- for some might come as cheesy. I find it memorable and upbeat.
Going back and watching movies and television from previous decades you can see a lot of changes in how they're paced, the style of acting, special effects., etc., etc. For many modern viewers, I suspect the original Shogun will seem very slow paced compared to what they're used to.

Going back and watching movies and television from previous decades you can see a lot of changes in how they're paced, the style of acting, special effects., etc., etc. For many modern viewers, I suspect the original Shogun will seem very slow paced compared to what they're used to.

Pacing, dialogue and how it is written, the use of soundstages even how people perform, can be a challenge for modern viewers. I actually prefer older pacing a bit. I have always liked classic movies and I like history, so watching shows or movies that were made in different ways interests me (I even like watching old interviews just because people even talked different: compare an average talk show interview in the 1960s with one in the 2000s for example).

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I want to walk back the cheesy comment a bit, I do think the above has to do a lot with my impression. The no Japanese speaking, the 70's style production, etc... The story is excellent and the cast were great too. It just has some dated aspects to it. All the love scenes were cringe too (not problematic but this scene needs to end because I dont want to watch it anymore type cringe.) Despite that, I still enjoyed it. YMMV.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I loved the original back in the day.

We watched about 1/3 or so of the first episode. So far so good, but I have to ask - do they stick with the subtitles or do they transition away from them?

I just am not into reading endless subtitles :(
A few are fine here and there (like they sparingly have done Star Wars or Game of Thrones for example) but I don’t think I’ll be able to take subtitles whenever anyone is speaking Japanese …
I really hope they dont. I could see sliding into English as John Blackthorne learns Japanese, but again I really hope they do not. At any rate they have not given up two episodes deep so far. I would like them to do an English dub for folks who dont like the subtitles like they have done on many Japanese movies before. That way folks who dont want to hear the Japanese and read can also enjoy.

Argyle King

Legend
So far, I'm highly enjoying the show.

Great job of setting the table and explaining who people are and why it matters. I also think the show does a really good job of contrasting various cultures, beliefs, and outlooks on life while exploring how those differences may come into play to create shifting alliances.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I was listening to an interesting interview about the subtitles (Pilot TV podcast for those interested).

So the designers saw the Star Wars subtitles as the gold standard of how to do subtitles. They use the same typeface apparently, and position the subtitles higher in the screen than usual to reduce gaze-flicking. But yeah, the subtitles will continue.

Remove ads