• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

short adventures or books with ideas?

hanez

First Post
Hi Im looking for adventures. I really like Paizo adventures, but one thing I abhor about them is how looong they are. I am planning a campaign and am more looking for 1-2 page seed ideas that can give me hooks/ideas that I can build on.

I really liked Alderac Entertainments D20 pamphlets back in the day. Cool idea, very short adventure, small map, and you can build the rest yourself.

I know there are lists of adventure hooks, but Im really looking for things that are more then a paragraph but less then 4 pages.

Anyone have any good recommendations? Also a book of ideas would be neat too.

Last edited:

Super Pony

Studded Muffin
If you are looking for some decent material that sits between a plot hook and a full fledged module then you could look for the "Adventure I" and "Adventure II" books that Alderac put out for d20. I believe you can get them in pdf at DriveThru RPG and RPG Now if you can't find a dead tree version lurking on a game store shelf somewhere. Both books had a pile of short adventure content in them, and as you mentioned before, you enjoyed Alderac's efforts.

If you are looking for something similar for Pathfinder I'd have to step aside and let someone with better knowledge weigh in there.

hanez

First Post
thank you, I have adventure I, I will look for the part 2. As far as the system goes, it can be any system or no system as long as its somewhat fantasy based

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
This is feudal Japanese horror for Pathfinder (Kaidan), slightly longer than 4 pages, it's a one-shot adventure. It could easily be adjusted for a non-eastern setting if you need to. But it's Free, so worth some ideas perhaps!

Frozen Wind

Janx

Hero
Why not write your own material?

I generate 4-6 pages of material in MS Word when I write adventures for my group.

It takes a 2-4 hours. Which is how much time you should spend prepping on a pre-written adventure so you know it well.

I get the extra benefit that the material directly matches to things the PCs are interested in, and I avoid plot hook ideas that I know the party wouldn't take or would turn horribly wrong.

I use the internet and its plethora of NPC, dungeon, city, and treasure generators to produce content, so I'm only left with the creative "why is this here" part instead of "what's in this room" drudgework.

Thanael

Explorer
The http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/154448-free-adventure-path.html thread has a few nice links.

Many of them got incorporated in this thread on Cafe de Nuit which is my own collection of free material. Though it's a Ravenloft specific forum not everything in the thread is gothic or horror per se, there's a lot of generic stuff in there, and some which are also short:

Page 1 has free mini adventures/sidetreks/locations from Crooked Staff Productions, and links to the one page dungeon contest, an annual contest to create a 1 page systemless dungeon/adventure site.

Page 2 of the thread has 83 free adventures (!) of which I'm sure some are short and a link to Final Redoubt Press which offers several free adventure seed pdf products by Robert J Defendi on RPGNow.

Finally in this Generic Adventures thread on paizo, a lot of the material that i link to is very affordable, generic and short. Most links there go to the paizo shop, which often has detailed reviews.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads