D&D (2024) Should all races/lineages have +2/+1/+1 ASI?

Horwath

Legend
I'd hate that as the default array. I like characters having actual weaknesses. I enjoy the 'zero to hero' story arc. Not the 'demigod to actual god' story arc.

One of the main reasons I hate standard array and point buy is that you can't go below an 8. (I still use SA and PB, as rolling is cursed).
you can always change 10 to 8 and 12 to 14 if you need to.

or have a point buy with lower than 8.

18: 8pts
16: 5pts
14: 3pts
12: 2pts
10: 1pt
8: 0pts
6: -1pt
4: -3pts

pool: 18pts

but not having a score below 8 is realistic for adventurers as no one would live long enough with a score of 7 or lower.
In any ability. And for a lifestyle that adventurers take, even 8 in one ability is stretching it.
maybe charisma for some secluded barbarian/ranger/druid.

but not having a score below 8 is realistic for adventurers as no one would live long enough with a score of 7 or lower.
In any ability. And for a lifestyle that adventurers take, even 8 in one ability is stretching it.
maybe charisma for some secluded barbarian/ranger/druid.
Critical role characters had scores below 8 on a regular. And though it was always a notable point about those characters, it didn't prevent them functioning.

One way of doing standard array/point buy could be the DMG offering variant numbers depending on what the DM is going for.

With 'Standard' being 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 18
'Heroic' being 17, 16, 15, 14, 12, 10
And 'Gritty' being 13, 12, 11, 10, 8, 6

Horwath

Legend
One way of doing standard array/point buy could be the DMG offering variant numbers depending on what the DM is going for.

With 'Standard' being 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 18
'Heroic' being 17, 16, 15, 14, 12, 10
And 'Gritty' being 13, 12, 11, 10, 8, 6
gritty would be then 13,12,11,10,9,8, as average is 11,10,11,10,11,10, or you want to play a character that is below average of general population?

Horwath

Legend
I mean, which class has con as its lowest dump stat? Con tends to be 2nd or 3rd depending on the class.
when you go in, you go all in, so wizard naturally, and barbarian with 16.

but what I have seen in 9 years of 5e, 80% of characters have 14 CON, so we might as well delete the stat and give everyone 2HP per level.

but what I have seen in 9 years of 5e, 80% of characters have 14 CON, so we might as well delete the stat and give everyone 2HP per level.
ngl I've often thought the same thing. It governs no skills, and characters almost universally put 13-15 in the stat. If you removed it completely the game wouldn't change. I would want different classes to get different amounts of HP per level up though.

If they keep con in some future 6e, I'd want at least one skill tied to it.

gritty would be then 13,12,11,10,9,8, as average is 11,10,11,10,11,10, or you want to play a character that is below average of general population?
Yes I'd like an option where you can start with a score lower than 8 which isn't rolling. A commoner is 10 across the board, and so this would put them exactly as a commoner on average. Though then they could apply species/background ASI on top of that.

Remove ads