D&D (2024) Should all races/lineages have +2/+1/+1 ASI?

Only reason I dislike the idea of removing con is that means only two physical saves and three mental saves.

Then again could go full fable and just have strength, skill, and will...

Encouraged and accelerated. I'd like that. Smooth that grit right out.
This is why there should be three different standard arrays / point buys in the DMG. Standard, heroic, and gritty.

It's clear that different players want completely different things. Some people prefer their characters to be superheroes from the get-go. Others want them to be a bunch of commoners setting out for their first surprise adventure.

The funny part about the whole superhero thing is that most people these days are intimately familiar with MCU style heroes that are powerful but still fundamentally flawed to some degree and variably incompetant.

Despite the often absurd power levels, their capabilities still synchronize with realistic human capability.

Whereas using "superheroes" in these contexts seems to come from a perspective of DC Comics style characters where they're all basically infallible unless the Plot has other ideas, and some, like Batman, are so far into this territory that even the Plot serves their whims.

Personally, while I enjoy DC style Supers from a thematic perspective (they work really well when the conflict isn't about who kr what you can beat into a pulp when the denouement comes), I think in terms of a game Marvel style supers work better out of the box.

Although it's important to note that unlike most other DC supers (and outside of fighting games where the power levels aren't actually played straight), Batman has been successful in games, though I think thats because Batman's style and capabilities already match up well with already existing game styles via Stealth and Beat-Em-Ups.

Other DC Supers either don't have this benefit, or are simply not strong enough to carry a title.

Like, I think Green Arrow could easily make for one hell of a game, and its surprising they're hasn't been one given that characters presence in television.

But characters like Superman, Aquaman, the Flash, etc are all very difficult to design a game around that lets people actually explore these characters capabilities.

Horwath

Legend
This is why there should be three different standard arrays / point buys in the DMG. Standard, heroic, and gritty.

It's clear that different players want completely different things. Some people prefer their characters to be superheroes from the get-go. Others want them to be a bunch of commoners setting out for their first surprise adventure.
Standard, 27pts
heroic, 32pts, most will play this, also it is official in PF1. Also rolling 4d6D1 averages around 31.5pts.
Gritty, 22pts

Remove ads