Should Epic Level book be considered "core" for FR?

Should Epic Level book be considered "core" for Forgotten Realms?

• Yes

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • Why can't Forgotten Realms max out at 20th level like Greyhawk?

Votes: 11 15.7%

LightPhoenix

First Post
I say no.

Forgotten Realms is supposed to be the big WotC setting. The Epic Level Rules are, last I knew, an optional rules set, not needed to play the game. As such, FR products should avoid referencing it too much, if at all, because it means you have to buy an optional rules set to play in the major setting.

LightPhoenix

Altalazar

First Post
I think it is a silly question. The FR book already uses the epic rules for NPCs, so in that sense, it is already core.

As for applying to players, that is also a silly question, because without the epic rules, you essentially stop playing after hitting level 20. So it is academic. The real question is do you want to play past level 20 in FR.

MythandLore

First Post
Altalazar said:
I think it is a silly question. The FR book already uses the epic rules for NPCs, so in that sense, it is already core.

As for applying to players, that is also a silly question, because without the epic rules, you essentially stop playing after hitting level 20. So it is academic. The real question is do you want to play past level 20 in FR.
I agree, I think they should have hammered out the epic rules before they did FRCS book.
But it would have been to easy to get it right the first time. :rolleyes:

TBoarder

Explorer
Altalazar said:

The FR book uses an early version of the Epic Level rules. Apparently the rules have gone through a HUGE overhaul. The rules in the Epic Level book will apparently have little or no resembalence to the rules given in the FR book. They're changed so much that the Epic Level book will apparently have an appendix "updating" the epic level FR characters to the new rules. The question deals with whether or not WotC will use the NEW rules in all further FR products or if they'll continue using the rules from the FR hardcover. So, it's not a silly question I think. :)

reiella

Explorer
My personal opinion is simple.

When 'Epic' level material is referenced, it should the Epic Level Rules for one fairly simple reason.

To be using the same system across the wizards d20 platform for the same mechanic.

TBoarder said:
I don't get this... how is making a book a core book for one world "forcing" people to play high level stuff? Isn't having Epic Level rules IN the FR hardcover "forcing" it on them as well then?

Well... if you make the book a CORE book then it implies it is essential to buy... Even if you don't plan to use epic rules... By including epic rules in FR it becomes more of an option to use... don't have to buy anything extra... *shug*

7thlvlDM

Explorer
I say no, and I think my reasoning goes along with why some people hate the Forgotten Realms. I don't want half the population of Faerun to be of epic level, or even a small minority to be, before the PCs become epic level. It's bad enough as it is with Elminister and the Seven Sisters. No one steals the spotlight from my PCs. The story's about them!

-7th

Ristamar

Adventurer
7thlvlDM said:
I say no, and I think my reasoning goes along with why some people hate the Forgotten Realms. I don't want half the population of Faerun to be of epic level, or even a small minority to be, before the PCs become epic level. It's bad enough as it is with Elminister and the Seven Sisters. No one steals the spotlight from my PCs. The story's about them!

-7th

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Elminster, The Seven Sisters, and others already have epic levels. The question is whether or not there are going to be uniform epic level rules from here on out in all future products, or will we still see the "beta" epic level rules in future FR releases.

Personally, I have to agree with reiella. Maintaining two epic level standards seems to go against the whole d20 concept. At best, perhaps they could include a sidebar in future products that explain what to do if you do not use the ELH (sort of like what they did with psionic related material in MotP), but I believe the default format should use the official epic level rules.

Bearing in mind that I love psionics and the idea of epic levels, I vote "no."

I think the idea is that you should be able to play the game with the minimal of rules. You SHOULD be able to play the game with just the PHB. It's bad enough that you also need the DMG, it seems.

(And I'm a collector, so I have most of what WOTC puts out....)

Sorry, can't post better than that, too early. :)

Remove ads