D&D 5E Should Next reintroduce new initiative rolls every round?

Should the old rule about initiative being rerolled every round be brought back?

• Yes.

Votes: 16 14.3%
  • No.

Votes: 53 47.3%
  • Optional rule.

Votes: 43 38.4%

XunValdorl_of_Kilsek

Banned
Banned
I remember when we used to reroll initiative every round ages ago and we loved it. It gave us a sense of chaos during combat. I would like to see Next reintroduce this as a rule. How do you feel and why?

gweinel

Explorer
I voted for yes... don't know if it is nostalgia or something else, but i remember very fondly the speed factor of the weapons and the spells with the every round roll for iniative system of 2nd edition.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I voted no. I prefer d20 initiative over AD&D 2E one, as i find declaring actions and rolling every round rather than rolling once and simply playing your action as your turn comes up slow down the game, and often create awkward situation when you want to change action or when the action you declared becomes invalid.

d20 initiative just allow simpler and more fluid gameplay during combat IMO.

Last edited:

Lokiare

Banned
Banned
I voted no. I prefer d20 initiative over AD&D 2E one, as i find declaring actions and rolling every round rather than rolling once and simply playing your action as your turn comes up slow down the game, and often create awkward situation when you want to change action or when the action you declared becomes invalid.

d20 initiative just allow simpler and more fluid gameplay during combat IMO.

Well good thing the question was only about rolling initiative at the start of each round and not at all about declaring actions ahead of time.

Janx

Hero
Voted no

I think the 3e style of determining initiative once for the encounter streamlined gameplay. less fumbling around re-arranging who goes next was a good thing for us.

Now we roll init, and arrange a conga-line of tokens for what player is next, and just follow that sequence for the rest of the combat.

I am disinclined to return to more dice rolling AND trying to work out who is next.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Should the old rule about initiative being rerolled every round be brought back?

Well good thing the question was only about rolling initiative at the start of each round and not at all about declaring actions ahead of time.
It referred to the old rule about it, not just rolling, so i asusmed it also implied action declaration.

My conclusion remains the same - its faster to roll once.

And you?

Last edited:

Lokiare

Banned
Banned
It referred to the old rule about it, not just rolling, so i asusmed it also implied action declaration.

My conclusion remains the same - its faster to roll once.

It is faster, but it removes the usefulness of a lot of rules. Like weapon speeds and casting times.

If you had an initiative modifier based on your weapon (great sword -2 to initiative) and spell casting costs segments then it wouldn't matter about having more powerful spells at the same level.

It would also give reasons to use smaller damage weapons. I can see a Rogue getting a bonus or advantage to attack or sneak attack creatures that haven't gone yet in initiative order, and a light low damage weapon would allow them to go first more often.

There is a lot of tactical depth that could be added back into the game with this.

Obryn

Hero
I'm going no. I think combats go smoother without re-rolling every round.

Weapon Speed Factors usually got it precisely backwards for who'd strike the first blow, anyway.

Fanaelialae

Legend
It is faster, but it removes the usefulness of a lot of rules. Like weapon speeds and casting times.

If you had an initiative modifier based on your weapon (great sword -2 to initiative) and spell casting costs segments then it wouldn't matter about having more powerful spells at the same level.

It would also give reasons to use smaller damage weapons. I can see a Rogue getting a bonus or advantage to attack or sneak attack creatures that haven't gone yet in initiative order, and a light low damage weapon would allow them to go first more often.

There is a lot of tactical depth that could be added back into the game with this.

Am I missing something? Using weapon speeds and casting times pretty much necessitates declaring actions. If you don't declare whether you're casting Meteor Storm or Mage Hand until after your turn comes up, it can't very well modify your initiative.

I voted for it to be an optional rule.

It slows the game down and is a level of detail not all groups desire, so I don't think it would make a good core rule. However, it would be a pretty easy module to drop in for any groups that want it.

Remove ads