D&D (2024) Should we have Level 1 ASIs at all?

Amrûnril

Adventurer
One of the most discussed features of the new playtest document is that it shifts level 1 ASIs from race/ancestry to background. This follows the change in Tasha's from fixed to floating ASI. Personally, think that getting rid of fixed racial ASIs is generally a good change, and I think that if ASIs are going to be floating, background is a better thematic justification for them than ancestry. What I have a harder time with, though, is seeing an underlying design purpose for these ASIs. In the context of 5e supplements, of course, they were needed to maintain balance between new and old ancestries, but now that we're dealing with a new set of character creation rules, having a separate step of the process to adjust the ability scores you've just generated and assigned seems inelegant and unnecessary.

A character creation process without level 1 ASIs could instead have adjusted standard array and point buy parameters, allowing 5e-like ability score totals to be assigned in a single character creation set. Rolled scores would be a bit harder to adjust, but they already average a bit higher than point buy/standard array, and a set of formalized mulligan rules could bump expected averages a bit higher if desired. It's also worth considering how level 1 feats factor into this. The developers (at least when writing the 5e PHB) considered a +2 ASI equivalent to a feat, so from that perspective a character without level 1 ASIs but with a level 1 feat is only behind by 1 ability point. Perhaps the best way for level 1 ASIs to continue would be as an optional substitute for level one feats, mirroring the choices players get at higher levels?

Assuming that fixed ASIs are not returning, what do you think should be the future of level 1 ASIs?

I was literally thinking this last night as well. Why not just have everyone just start out with their original rolls (or bought points) to simplify character creation? ASIs were originally there to give different races some variety in their starting stats, and now that's off the board, what's their purpose? Sure, that will start characters off weaker, but not terribly so. So, why not just dump them altogether at 1st level?

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I play without ASI at 1st level, and I've played with no ASI at all. Both work great, but it may require to be a little more generous with magic items to keep the math somewhat balanced.

Proficiency is really the mechanic that carry a lot of the weight. It could even be boosted a little more if stats did not increase, like from 3 to 8-ish.

TheSword

Legend
The main reason being that people like ability score increases, no matter the level. So why not give people what they like.

Sure you could have a safety net mulligan system but why have that when you can just give an ASI at first level.

Yaarel

He Mage
Great question, OP.

For me, I use arrays and am fine with no score improvements.

But for players who roll scores the improvements can mitigate some of the poorer results.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
One of the most discussed features of the new playtest document is that it shifts level 1 ASIs from race/ancestry to background. This follows the change in Tasha's from fixed to floating ASI. Personally, think that getting rid of fixed racial ASIs is generally a good change, and I think that if ASIs are going to be floating, background is a better thematic justification for them than ancestry. What I have a harder time with, though, is seeing an underlying design purpose for these ASIs. In the context of 5e supplements, of course, they were needed to maintain balance between new and old ancestries, but now that we're dealing with a new set of character creation rules, having a separate step of the process to adjust the ability scores you've just generated and assigned seems inelegant and unnecessary.

A character creation process without level 1 ASIs could instead have adjusted standard array and point buy parameters, allowing 5e-like ability score totals to be assigned in a single character creation set. Rolled scores would be a bit harder to adjust, but they already average a bit higher than point buy/standard array, and a set of formalized mulligan rules could bump expected averages a bit higher if desired. It's also worth considering how level 1 feats factor into this. The developers (at least when writing the 5e PHB) considered a +2 ASI equivalent to a feat, so from that perspective a character without level 1 ASIs but with a level 1 feat is only behind by 1 ability point. Perhaps the best way for level 1 ASIs to continue would be as an optional substitute for level one feats, mirroring the choices players get at higher levels?

Assuming that fixed ASIs are not returning, what do you think should be the future of level 1 ASIs?
I'm with you. Leave ASIs to half feat choices only.

Stalker0

Legend
You would see a lot more balanced stat arrays, as getting a 15 in a stat is too expensive if you can’t bump it further, better to get a 14 and then get points elsewhere. Whether that’s good or not is a matter of perspective.

Remove ads