• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Should WotC launch a new Living Campaign with D&D Next?

DerekSTheRed

Explorer
Does D&D Next need to launch with a new Living Campaign? The first Living Campaign was Living City during the AD&D days. With the launch of 3rd Edition, WotC also started Living Greyhawk. When 3rd Edition gave way to 4th Edition, Living Greyhawk was ended and Living Forgotten Realms was introduced. Now that D&D Next is about to drop, will WotC create a new Living Campaign? A better question in my mind is whether they should create a new one?

Initially the RPGA encompassed all organized play for multiple RPG systems but charged a membership fee. Then WotC made it free, but ended all non-WotC games. The idea was to make the RPGA part of the marketing of D&D. In addition to Living Campaigns, WotC also created non-living organized play campaigns like Legend of the Green Regent, Mark of Heroes, Xen'drik Adventures, and finally D&D Encounters. With Living Forgotten Realms play dwindling even before the announcement of Next (WotC has stopped devoting servers to record the sessions), I've begun to wonder if campaigns like D&D Encounters serve WotC better than the Living Campaigns. Encounters allows WotC to push their latest product while fans get a free taste before buying.

Pathfinder also has a Living Campaign encompassed in its Pathfinder Society. I wouldn't be surprised if many fans of Living Greyhawk moved to the Pathfinder alternative much like some fans of 3E moved to Pathfinder instead of 4E. This brings into question whether Living Forgotten Realms dwindled because of its changes away from Living Greyhawk (which had massive appeal relative to all other Living Campaigns) or if the dwindling 4th Edition player base would have hurt any Living Campaign regardless (or some combination of the two).

Another interesting wrinkle is to look at the place D&D Insider has in WotC relative to the RPGA. When Paizo was publishing Dungeon, WotC got a licensing fee regardless of how many magazines of Dungeon sold. At the same time, the RPGA was producing free modules that anyone could download. Once Dungeon became part of an online subscription model, the RPGA's free adventures were in direct competition with a product WotC was selling for a fee. It doesn't seem like that's a situation that was sustainable, and I'm not surprised the free content was sidelined. If WotC plans on publishing more adventures to support D&D Next, I would expect WotC will try to make money off of them. I can already imagine the internal memo in Wotc arguing against a Living Campaign since the marketing goals are already accomplished via Encounters and the demand for modules in support of Next can be sold instead of given away.

As a fan of Living Campaigns, this would make me sad. I ran a gameday for Living Greyhawk and attended conventions where I played LG modules in attempt to make my mark in a shared campaign setting. Part of the fun was the stories of PCs affecting the regional canon. I've just finished reading the excellent "BDKR1: The Unofficial Living Greyhawk Bandit Kingdoms Summary" by Casey Brown. As someone who played LG in the Bandit Kingdoms, it brought back a lot of good memories.

Looking back, LG provided me with a lot of incentive to buy WotC products. This was mainly due to the arms race players engaged in against the regional triads. As Casey points out, LG encouraged min/maxing for survival by lowering gp rewards and having very tough fights along with probably one too many fights per mod. In order for a PC to survive, his player had to buy the book with the latest broken rules to exploit before they were nerfed. And of course the modules had the latest over powered monsters so essentially WotC sold to both sides of the conflict (like any good arms dealer would do).

LG was able to support play at home, at a gameday, or at a convention. When LFR was started, it undid the regional system. The regional system caused a lot of problems, but in hindsight it was probably the thing that made going to conventions and participating in convention only events that could change canon fun. The fact that LFR made it difficult to interact with the Forgotten Realms novel line also prevented canon from being altered too much. LG had an extensive amount of existing canon that the players were given free reign to do as they please. LFR didn't have that luxury. As a result, convention attendance for LFR suffered.

I'm sure one could make an argument that convention play shouldn't be important to WotC. Or at least smaller convention play anyway. WotC could have special convention modules for the big cons only. They could even setup a system in which a player could bring his own PC to the table provided he met certain guidelines. I just don't see that as appealing as the convention with Living Campaign modules. Pathfinder Society is being played at these types of conventions and if they work to generate interest for their product, can WotC afford to not compete in this arena?

I believe the best policy for WotC would be to create a new Living Campaign, launch it with D&D Next, and set it up with lessons learned from LG and LFR. The new campaign would need to support home games, gamedays and conventions, be in a campaign setting with lots of rich canon, don't let other products interfere with the canon (like new novels), include a modified regional system to encourage player participation and con attendance, and do so in a way to maximize interest in D&D Next before converting that interest into sales.

One way to convert interest into sales would be to require a D&D Insider subscription as part of high level play in the Living Campaign. Essentially the first taste at low level is free, but to play your PC past a certain level would require a subscription. This business model would bring us full circle to the time when being an RPGA member required a fee. Maybe then WotC will offer other games systems a chance to participate (with WotC taking a cut of course)?

As I said, I'm a fan of Living Campaigns when they are done right. My concern is that WotC will put out a half-assed rehash of LFR and then act surprised when it fails. When it comes to Living Campaigns, a bad one is worse than none at all. Either go big or go home.

S

Sunseeker

are these living campaigns like the living worlds here on ENWorld? or are they something different?

The basic concept is that they are a world in motion whose future fiction reacts to the activities of players. So if that's what's going on here, yep. Otherwise, I dunno.

I loved Living Greyhawk and being able to play the same character in conventions or public play and having it grow and continue.
But WotC hasn't shown interest in the RPGA and really seems interested in Encounters. Living campaigns require constat and continued attention, and WotC doesn't have a corporate mindset that encourages continued and steady attention. If they did attempt a new Living world it would suffer the fate of LFR: a surge of regular attention followed by dwindling support and then apathy. And a new Living world would likely mean the death of Encountes.

Encounters is more their speed. It plays and then ends, and they starts again. So WotC can regularly build up and hype the next season.

But as a hypothetical, let's assume they want to work with the RPGA more.
Continuing LFR might be fun. They'd have to start again rather than update, but the world is popular.
It'd be fun if it could somehow spin off the regular world into its own canon. Since the attempt to make LFR interact with the world failed, it might be interesting to let it go in its own direction. Let the campaign change the Realms in small ways.
Or pull it back from the entire world and let it focus on a single nation. Give LFR Sembia or a chunk of Abeir. Focus the campaign more and advertise that focus in the published 5e FR books. (I.e. "For more information on X look for LFR games in your local area.") With The Sundering in the works, this might be a good time to think about this and keep it in mind.

Embracing the continuing narrative of LFR would be a good idea. The Rise of the Underdark would have worked much better as LFR tales than Encounters, where one character could play in all the stories. LFR should be the place of events, with limited run adventures that are reported and determine future events. LFR should be where they tell the metaplots of the year.
Tying the two organized play programs together would be a great idea. Allowing Encounters to be run as adapted LFR adventures after the season ends would be nice. Allowing all characters in Encounters to continue in LFR would also be good: Encounters gets new players into the game and LFR let's the, continue their character's stories

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
There will be some kind of organized play, though it may or may not be a Living Campaign. As others have pointed out, they are currently fond of encounters. Since D&D Next plays faster than 4e, the format of encounters might change a little bit, so that PCs get through a little more each session.

They might also continue outsourcing Living Forgotten Realms to the group running it now. In my opinion the adventures have improved since WotC cut it free.

DerekSTheRed

Explorer
Per Wikipedia, a Living Campaign is "gaming format within the table-top role-playing game community that provide the opportunity for play by an extended community within a shared universe." I probably should have mentioned that LG, LFR, and Pathfinder Society either have supported or still support online play. That would include play by post gaming. Some of the play by post at this site's Living Worlds forums are LFR or Pathfinder Society adventures.

Grimmjow

First Post
The basic concept is that they are a world in motion whose future fiction reacts to the activities of players. So if that's what's going on here, yep. Otherwise, I dunno.

so not only do i have to buy the world book but in order to keep up with events that are happening in it, i have to buy and read fiction books. Thats fine, as long as future supplements dont require me to know whats happening in those books cause i didnt think that drow was all that great.

S

Sunseeker

so not only do i have to buy the world book but in order to keep up with events that are happening in it, i have to buy and read fiction books. Thats fine, as long as future supplements dont require me to know whats happening in those books cause i didnt think that drow was all that great.

You only need the fiction to keep up with the "canon" series of events. Like buying the Star Wars movies to find out if Luke really kills Vader or if he falls to the dark side in Episode VI. You can still buy A New Hope and run with your own universe from there all you want, but it won't reflect canon of course.

It's unlikely that any future supplements would leave you entirely in the dark, likely providing a synopsis early-on to catch newcomers up.

mlund

First Post
If they go with a Living Game again, I'd like to see something outside of the Realms. Realmslore sells quite enough on its own, has obnoxious NPCs, and is set in its ways (even its Realms-shattered-changes). I'd much rather see a setting that can be brought to life by the players than something that they are just muddling there way through in the shadows of more valuable IP.

- Marty Lund

Kye_Tyrad

First Post
I have enjoyed the Living Campaigns. I started with LG and enjoyed it very much. With LFR, the group I was in did not convert to 4e so it fell apart. When Dark Sun came into 4e I had to jump in and get involved again with a new group and then the Ashes of Athas mini living campaign was great to be involved with.

Overall I have enjoyed the Living Campaigns and hopefully WOTC will continue working with Living Campaigns in some fashion. Any of the worlds would be interesting as long as they support the world with supplemental information through the Dragon DDI or something similar.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads