Showdown in the Forgotten Ruins

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Yep, he could reach and prevent the AoO, but Scun and Thurgan are in the two squares with one space from the enemy, so there isn't room to attack from reach, for now. He'd have to go past into the adjacent square to the enemy, which is empty. Or he could wait for one of his allies to back up--let me know)

RillianPA

First Post
Rillian will drawn his greatsword and ready an attack if an enemy comes within reach.

ooc: It appeared that the creature "shimmered", moved and did a full attack, and that the movement provoked no AoOs. Is that all correct, or did I misinterpret something?

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: That's correct. The shimmering was flavour text--it used Pounce, and thanks to its superior reach, it didn't have to take any AoOs (not that an AoO is normally needed to Pounce, of course) )

*The creature snarls as Cade moves past his allies and darts a tentacle outwards to attack--but it doesn't aim for Cade! Instead, it takes an attack on Alton. Cade turns Alton hard to the side and avoids the blow. With the opening he was given, Cade makes a masterful blow at the crystalline creature and hits...thin air. Something about the shimmering light around the creature's crystalline body is quite odd.*

(OOC: I assume you'd want to use your Mounted Combat feat. It succeeded)

*Meanwhile, Tandi and Rillian prepare to attack if the creature decides to come all the way over to the other side to attack them. Instead, it makes another attack at Alton, and this time Cade can't protect his mount, so the dog takes a nasty blow. Then it backs away, provoking an attack from Cade that also seems to strike true but hits thin air, and then as it moves adjacent to the crystalline wall, there is a shimmering flash and it fades from view.*

(OOC: 12 Damage)

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: The critter is gone again. Everyone is free to post actions--don't worry about initiative order. If you post many rounds of action and it comes back, I'll just interrupt at the right point. Before anyone asks, readying actions out of combat in an attempt to become immune to the surprise round is not allowed--it's been debated in the rules forum, and I can bring up the thread if anyone would like.)

Brain

First Post
Scun coughs up some blood and manages to speak. "We need to retreat, or at least withdraw to a better location. We'll all die at this rate."

He calls upon his divine gift to heal himself (burn calm emotions to cure moderate on self - 2d8+3) and move (hopefully with others) back the way they came, away from the creature.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: 18 from the CMW--very impressive!

Note that the way you guys came is a twisting warren of crystalline passages riddled with intersections through which you could be ambushed, though admittedly if you hustle back through there and out of this area entirely, you should be able to find a good safe position, perhaps above the sealed stairway. Alternatively, you could continue forward and look for a nearby dead-end or some such to set up a stand. It may be important to note that the creature moves at least twice as fast as your slowest members, so it will likely have the opportunity to harry you on the retreat.)

Remove ads