• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sidelining Players- the Good, the Bad, the Ugly, and the Poll

Is sidelining players a viable option in your 5e game?

• Yes. Bad things can happen to players, and the game goes on.

Votes: 78 56.1%
  • Yes. But only because the DM has alternatives to keep the player involved.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • No. The game is supposed to be fun, and not playing is not fun.

Votes: 24 17.3%
  • I am not a number! I am a free man!

Votes: 8 5.8%

• Poll closed .
I’d rather do anything else than watch other people play D&D. It’s no spectator sport.

200,000 people watch Aquisitions Incorporated. More than could fit in the largest stadium in the US.
Each weekly episode of Critical Role attracts similar numbers, it has its own IMDb page ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4834232/ ), and trends on Twitter every Thursday during the live show.

While an order of magnitude smaller than network shows, it's clear that to a LOT of people, D&D very much is a spectator sport.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
200,000 people watch Aquisitions Incorporated. More than could fit in the largest stadium in the US.
Each weekly episode of Critical Role attracts similar numbers, it has its own IMDb page ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4834232/ ), and trends on Twitter every Thursday during the live show.

While an order of magnitude smaller than network shows, it's clear that to a LOT of people, D&D very much is a spectator sport.

Those are not my friends playing D&D. They are professional entertainers. If my friends were professional entertainers then sure, maybe I'd watch them playing D&D.

In other news, I also wouldn't enjoy being invited on a scenic hike with them only to be told I have to sit in the car.

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
Those are not my friends playing D&D. They are professional entertainers. If my friends were professional entertainers then sure, maybe I'd watch them playing D&D.

In other news, I also wouldn't enjoy being invited on a scenic hike with them only to be told I have to sit in the car.

And on top of that, the people watching the D&D shows - or even just their friends playing - are choosing to do so.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
And on top of that, the people watching the D&D shows - or even just their friends playing - are choosing to do so.

That, too.

So, to revise my statement:

Those are not my friends playing D&D. They are professional entertainers. If my friends were professional entertainers then sure, maybe I'd choose watch them playing D&D, but even then I wouldn't enjoy being told I had to watch them play D&D.

That, too.

So, to revise my statement:

Those are not my friends playing D&D. They are professional entertainers. If my friends were professional entertainers then sure, maybe I'd choose watch them playing D&D, but even then I wouldn't enjoy being told I had to watch them play D&D.

My friends aren't professional entertainers, yet both myself and others in the various groups I've been in over the years have happily watched our groups play for hours (sometimes entire sessions!) without our participation. Like I said several pages before, this varies from person to person and group to group - how much the person watching is entertained by watching their friends play, and how entertaining that group is to watch...

Well, no, but they are your friends. And you're spending time with them. You may not be rolling dice, but surely you're still chatting and cracking jokes and throwing popcorn at each other, right? I mean, yeah, if your DM puts a gag order on sidelined players, I can see how that might be a problem, but the solution to that problem seems pretty obvious: "don't put a gag order on sidelined players".

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, no, but they are your friends. And you're spending time with them. You may not be rolling dice, but surely you're still chatting and cracking jokes and throwing popcorn at each other, right? I mean, yeah, if your DM puts a gag order on sidelined players, I can see how that might be a problem, but the solution to that problem seems pretty obvious: "don't put a gag order on sidelined players".

Would you go out for dinner with your friends, but they told you you had to just watch them eat? It’s fine, because you’re still allowed to talk to them?

Of course, it depends on the duration. Half an hour might be OK. 4 hours seems vindictive.

But, hey, us telling each other what we are supposed to find fun has no purpose, really. You may find watching our friends play D&D fun, but there’s no combination of words which will suddenly make me find that same thing fun. It’s a silly argument, really.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Yeah, I'd far rather watch my friends play a game in which I'm a once and future participant, and be in the same room; than watch on a screen some people I've never heard of play a game I have no investment in, somewhere else where I'm not.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Yeah, I'd far rather watch my friends play a game in which I'm a once and future participant, and be in the same room; than watch on a screen some people I've never heard of play a game I have no investment in, somewhere else where I'm not.
And you should absolutely do that if you want to. No one is saying you shouldn't, or that it's a bad thing to do.

Just don't don't try to tell someone else they have to stay or are being a bad person if they choose not too. That would be rude.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using EN World mobile app

Remove ads