• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sigh ... more anti-D&D nonsense

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
what really gets me is geek on geek playa hatin'.

for example, i have a group of friends who are total online geeks, spending hours on their ljs, who feel the need to put down those who dress up at conventions.

it's sad, and typical of abusive behaviour: feel small about yourself, so puff yourself by comparison by making others look smaller. pathetic.

JediSoth said:
I've been saying this to my friends for years: people who dress up to go to a football game are socially acceptable no matter how stupid they look in blue and white body paint and no shirt on in the winter, whereas people who dress up as Gandalf for a costume contest at GenCon are labelled as nerds, geeks, dorks, losers, etc. etc. because of the double standard our country has for sports vs. intellectual pursuits. Whenever I hear local media make fun of gamers and/or sci-fi movie fans, I always contact them and try to get them to air my grievance, but I just get silence from them.

The lesson: it's OK to be outside in -10° weather half-naked if you're painted in the local teams colors even if you have a 10 gallon beer belly, but if you dress up as a barbarian for a costume contest (even with the physique for it) you're little better than Ted Bundy.

Not that I'm bitter, or anything.

JediSoth

StupidSmurf

First Post
Shadowdancer said:
Schilling and another player (backup catcher for the Phillies, can't remember his name) are part owners of the company that owns the rights to the game Squad Leader. They also run an on-line magazine for video games.

Curt Schilling, one of our beloved World Series 2004 heroes, is stubborn, intractable, and has an opinion on everything. Of COURSE he's a gamer! ;)

And don't think I hadn't gotten a lot of mileage this past year with my fellows sports fans who are into it way more than me, when they've snickered about gaming, and I go "Yeah? Well congratulations! That World Series we've all so desperately wanted was made possible in a very large part by a GAMING GEEK! HAH!" :]

JoeBlank

Explorer
Oryan77 said:
It's original quotes like "D&D nerds in their parents basement" that makes cool guys like St. Amant stand out from the crowd. I wonder how long this brilliant quote took him to think up. Great, now this original quote is going to spread and ALL of the cool jock types are going to start using it as ammunition. I bet he thought that quote up in the spurt of the moment! Well at least now it will take the focus away from the fact that we all wear pocket protectors.

What's really funny is that D&D is huge in prisons. Do you think fruits like St. Amant would still make comments like that about D&D players if the stereotype turned from nerds to convicts? All kinds of people play D&D, it's just such a strange hobby that they don't talk about it with just anyone because it can come across as awkward....grown men pretending to be female elven spell casters? It's not something I'm just going to tell everyone in the office during lunch.

While agree with your sentiment, I think you are wrongly directing your ire at St. Amant. He is apparently the author of the book, but it is the reviewer, writing for the Boston Globe, who made the quote about D&D. It is possible that St. Amant also made this implication, but that is not expressly stated in replicant2's post.

As we are bragging about our hobby being more intellectual than others, our reading comprehension should be a little better.

Satori

First Post
When I was in the Marines, my DnD group consisted of a retired Gunny, a current Gunny, a Sergeant, 2 LCpls, and a Sgt Major.

We played DnD with a Sgt Major.

Also...my current group includes a medical text publisher, a high school teacher, a Slavic linguist who teaches english in Eastern Europe, and a part-time martial arts instructor (me).

This is me and my fiance. Gamers are hot, get over it sports fans.

Edit: I forgot to mention that my fiance is also an avid gamer. This last weekend we spent over 9 hours straight gaming...on Saturday alone!

Attachments

• Nick4.jpg
    Nick4.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 73
  • MichPic5.jpg
    MichPic5.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Oryan77

Adventurer
JoeBlank said:
As we are bragging about our hobby being more intellectual than others, our reading comprehension should be a little better.

I completely agree, as should your social skills be a little better. Don't talk down to me like this again...Eric's grandmother doesn't approve. A simple, "Hey, you targeted the wrong name" would have been appreciated. Thanks ;)

JoeBlank

Explorer
Oryan77 said:
I completely agree, as should your social skills be a little better. Don't talk down to me like this again...Eric's grandmother doesn't approve. A simple, "Hey, you targeted the wrong name" would have been appreciated. Thanks ;)

My apologies. I did not mean to come across as snide. Sorry about that.

Dextra said:
what really gets me is geek on geek playa hatin'.

for example, i have a group of friends who are total online geeks, spending hours on their ljs, who feel the need to put down those who dress up at conventions.
The Brunching Shuttlecocks (an online humor site) did a wonderful bit of humor on this phenomenon (http://www.brunching.com/geekhierarchy.html), with the table of who considers themselves superior to who in the world of Geeks.

The only thing everybody could agree on is that everybody feels superior to erotic furry self-insertion fanfic writers :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads