• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Sight unseen - what are your plans for 4E?

Sight unseen - what are your plans for 4E?

• I definitely am switching to 4E.

Votes: 30 10.6%
  • I will probably switch to 4E, but will evaluate it.

Votes: 76 26.9%
  • I'm not leaning either way and will decide after evaluation

Votes: 65 23.0%
  • I will probably note switch to 4E, but will evaluate it.

Votes: 56 19.8%
  • I definitely will stick with another version of D&D.

Votes: 38 13.4%
  • Something else (I play another system, I don't play at all, etc.)

Votes: 18 6.4%

Glyfair

Explorer
Of course it is far too early to be making completely concrete decisions. Still, we are (and have) seen absolute statements from some about how they absolutely will switch to 4E and how there in no chance they will.

I just wanted to get a feel for the pulse now. What is your general attitude towards switching to 4E?

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I'll purchase the core books. No serious game designer can not be familiar with the mechanics of the current edition of D&D, and I hold out hope I'll be producing content for it either via an OGL, freelancing for Dungeon and Dragon/Digital Initiative, freelancing for Wizards, or even employment at Wizards.

I won't "switch" to it because D&D is not currently my game of choice.

If it is an upgrade, it will move D&D back into contention for that position, which is where it was earlier in 3e's lifecycle.

If it's an upgrade surpassing Star Wars Saga, it will give D&D a serious chance of regaining my favor until a better system comes along. Doubly so if, like SWSE, it is both a major upgrade and largely backwards-compatible with existing d20 material.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I fully expect to buy the core books. After evaluation, I will most likely move to 4E after my current campaign ends. I do not expect to convert my current capaign.

Whilst I'm not currently D&Ding (Iron Heroes ftw), I'll certainly be buying 4E... because y'know, it's D&D guys. You don't not buy the D&D core books? Right? Well, I guess I didn't buy the 3.5E ones, but that's because I was bitter.

I'll then be evaluating it, and either switching to it and starting a new campaign, or doing what I did with 3E before it was out (but when much of it had been leaked), which is to say, stealing the ideas I liked and using them Iron Heroes (or 2E as it was back then - my 2.5E game was actually the most fun I've had running D&D).

Asmor

First Post
I'm cautiously optimistic. I think it's all but a foregone conclusion that I'll switch over to it, the question is more whether I'll do it right away or wait for a bit. I'm even considering wrapping up scheduling my current campaign according to whatever dates WotC announces so that it "coincidentally" wraps up right around the time 4e comes.

I still chose the probably option, not the definitely option, because it's not entirely a foregone conclusion... Just really likely.

Drowbane

First Post
didn't Merric already made this thread? :p

Most likely, I will buy the Core books. It would have to be mind-blowingly-awesome for me to switch over completely though.

I'm yet not finished with 3e.

Glyfair

Explorer
My point of view will heavily be decided by compatibility with 3.5. If it is compatible I will likely switch over to 4E eventually. The better it is the sooner I will consider it.

If it's not compatible, it will probably stay on the shelves unless it is amazing. It would have to be better than 3.5 as 3E was over 2nd edition in my mind. I think that is close to impossible and still be D&D. I will buy Eberron books with heavy or critical "fluff" content.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads