• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Signatures Getting Too Big?!

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
I may be alone in this, but seems to me that people's signatures are getting bigger and bigger.

I looked at the forum rules and didn't see any limits or guidelines for signatures. So I would like to take this opportunity to ask for some consensus on this issue.

Obviously, I prefer sigs to be short and sweet, but I realize that some people have a bit more info that they would like to convey. Would it be possible to ask people to restrict their sigs to 4 lines in length or the standard banner ad size of 468x60 pixels (but not both)?

I certainly appreciate the board feature that only shows a user's signature in their first post in a thread. I also appreciate that some people are using the spoiler tag to condense thier sigs. But there seems to be a growing number of sigs that include an image and 4-12 lines of text.

I am seeing a trend here and would definitely like to see it nipped in the bud. Thankfully Ryan Nock has greatly reduced the size of his ad for his latest project, but could this be spelled out in a board policy?

Am I asking too much?

DaveStebbins

First Post
Large sigs don't bother me too much, but I have noticed the trend. We're probably better off just asking people to keep their sigs reasonable. Alternatively we could 'out' the ones with the longest or most annoying sigs in a friendly way in this thread, and see if their sigs don't get shorter. ;)

For the record, the length of my sig hasn't changed. :cool:

-Dave

Psionicist

Explorer
I agree. It's usually considered very bad netiquette to use a signature considerably larger than your average post. You can of course disable signatures altogether in your profile but that'd be a shame because it's only a few members who have the really large signatures, basically ruining it for everyone else.

Reporting huge signatures probably helps. I reported one members signature and a few days later it was smaller.

Rystil Arden

First Post
I actually don't mind larger signatures at all, but a related issue sometimes annoys me--when the other users' My Bookshelf, My Wishlist, My Latest Purchase (with big picture) on the left side causes the post to be filled with 80% blank space, I really don't like it

Psion

Adventurer
Sigs used to annoy me when I still had dialup, because sig pics lengthened load time.

Now not so much. Though the hack enworld has that prevents displaying more than one pic a page helps.

It's not near as bad as the wotc boards on this score.

For instance . . . me?

Random filler text to show relative size of typical post to typical sig:
Senatus populusque Romanus. Sum es est sumus estis sunt. Tuus facies interficiat homines et coget liberos clamare!

Space Ghost: Boku wa okii atama ga arimasu. Atama ga okii desu! Nani to omoimasu ka, Zoraku?

Zorak: Okii atama. Okii atama! Okikute futotte iru atama!

Space Ghost: Boku wa 'Okii atama hi' ga arimasu. Anata no 'Okii atama hi' wa dou desu ka, kodomotachi?

Zorak: 'Okikute futotte iru atama hi!'

Space Ghost: . . . Shut up, bug.

Senatus populusque Romanus. Sum es est sumus estis sunt. Tuus facies interficiat homines et coget liberos clamare! Boku no atama ga okii desu. Zorak, nani to omoimasu ka? ... Okii atama. Okii! Okikute futote iru atama! . . . Shut up, bug.

Senatus populusque Romanus. Sum es est sumus estis sunt. Tuus facies interficiat homines et coget liberos clamare! Boku no atama ga okii desu. Zorak, nani to omoimasu ka? ... Okii atama. Okii! Okikute futote iru atama! . . . Shut up, bug.

Last edited:

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Technically there is a limit to sigs--max number of characters. I know, because I hit this eventhough my sig was sblocked. There is a thread for large sigs (the idea is that you link to your post in the thread), which has helped me.

Remove ads