• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Silence - does it give a saving throw...

calypso15

Explorer
Does Silence grant a saving throw if I were to, say, cast it on a coin, and then move near someone? Would that person get a saving throw? Would SR apply?

green slime

First Post
hong said:
No save. Yes, this lends itself to silliness.

Yes sort of like my group. They run around with "stringlets" (it all started as a piece of string, and degenerated from there, don't ask) with light/darkness cast on them, and keep them in jars.

hong

WotC's bitch
It's a very easy way to shut down spellcasters, unless they have Silent Spell or use only spells with non-verbal components.

mlund

First Post
One of my favorite forms of Silence silliness involves Tiny flying creatures with Silence and Invisibility cast on them following key PCs around during a combat encounter. First time you spring it on them it drives them nuts trying to figure out how to get out of the area of effect to go cast spells or benefit from Bard / Marshall boosts.

- Marty Lund

calypso15

Explorer
hong said:
It's a very easy way to shut down spellcasters, unless they have Silent Spell or use only spells with non-verbal components.

Ah. So, an assassin casting it on something on his person, then sneaking into someone's room and killing them (with no resultant outcry) isn't among what you consider cheesy? That's pretty much all I'll be using it for (it's more of a story thing, as rarely will that come into play).

calypso15

Explorer
mlund said:
One of my favorite forms of Silence silliness involves Tiny flying creatures with Silence and Invisibility cast on them following key PCs around during a combat encounter. First time you spring it on them it drives them nuts trying to figure out how to get out of the area of effect to go cast spells or benefit from Bard / Marshall boosts.

Yeah, that's pretty silly :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads