Silly economics of DnD

S'mon

Legend
mroberon1972 said:

A limited wish? Ouch... I figure a limited wish should be just a wee bit more powerful than this... Perhaps 2-4 suits of armor. But I digress...

You can adjudicate it according to whatever the gp-value limit is for limited wish - I see there isn't one given in 3e, but the 300 XP cost implies a 1500 gp limit on the standard 5:1 XP:cost ratio, implying a standard suit of full plate is at the limit for this spell.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
LostSoul said:
I think that, if you want to maintain a 12th Century European feel but are bothered by the logical effects of magic on society, you come up with some reason why progress has been stalled. In my campaign, the forces of Evil! want to make sure that society does not experience that kind of growth. Evil loves misery.

This has become a key point in my campaign.

Actually, that's just about exactly what stalled us in the real world.

jasper

Rotten DM
Ok Al, Mass production. In the late 1400’s in Italy and Germany, armour was been mass-produced in piece meal. In the 1400 or 1500 one doctor was charged by the guild for selling helms under cost of the guild. He was buying some pieces and assembling them.
What does a banking sector have to do with mass production? Explain please.
Explain Modern Capitalist thinking?
Cheap technology. What technology? Cheaper cloth due to looms and guilds/merchants paying by piece. Every burning torches for 100 gp. More food due three field crop rotation and improved horse harness.
Magic will help a industrial revolution but that start when 1820?

Sarellion

Explorer
I think two factors against progress would be :

1.Greed
2.Fear
3.Other Point of View

The Powers that be would probably destroy the beginnings of such benevolent actions if it would destroy their power base. The introduction of cheap breastplates would allow it to equip everyone with it. The power of the knight on battlefield was partly because of his armor. Craftsmen who build in the old ways would either adopt it or destroy it out of fear to lose their own trade. Does everyone accept this idea or will he differ? Perhaps he is unsure if he can do it and people often don't like changing their ways.
Every big idea had to face opposition especially from powerful people and people set in their ways and their view of the world.
Many people were burned because they were accused to use witchcaft. They were feared because people believed they had magical powers. In D&D one 5th level mage can create havoc slinging one fireball in the crowd on market day. Even people not hit by it would be harmed as panic kicks in.
In higher levels mages can destroy villages and armies, gate in demons and what else.

How would the average commoner feel or the fighters of the realm? Probably mages would be hunted or they have to police themselves. Come on if magic was available in the real world, ppl would fear magic wielding terrorists.

Elminster and other guys have an important position to fill. Mystra shows that evildoers can be countered and there is protection for the normal guys.

At least clerics would be accepted. But these guys have to appease their deities and if the deity does not like the magetech revolution it is quickly over with it.

Probably magic would change the world in some ways but I
don't see a magic industrialization just because magic is abundant.

IMC the wizards have founded self policing guilds and hunt mages who transgressed. Healing magic improves living conditions (but not Cure Disease, only available at the high ranks)and in some cities sewage treatment is based on magic. The peasants profit from druids and clerics using plant growth spells and they are a little bit richer than normal. Most people are content with their lot. They are poor but not starving. The overall level is more like a little bit renaissance with lot of medieval elements and this will not change soon.

The gods don't support radical change, already seen high industrialized worlds going down in their own waste, no thanks, thinks the god of life and nature, keep it sylvan, work with your own hands and have a good day.

Al

First Post
jasper said:
Ok Al, Mass production. In the late 1400’s in Italy and Germany, armour was been mass-produced in piece meal. In the 1400 or 1500 one doctor was charged by the guild for selling helms under cost of the guild. He was buying some pieces and assembling them.
What does a banking sector have to do with mass production? Explain please.
Explain Modern Capitalist thinking?
Cheap technology. What technology? Cheaper cloth due to looms and guilds/merchants paying by piece. Every burning torches for 100 gp. More food due three field crop rotation and improved horse harness.
Magic will help a industrial revolution but that start when 1820?

With regard to mass production: 1. Breastplates are military items; industrialisation occurs when mass production is applied to civilian products. 2. It was in the late 1400s, not the 12th century. 3. It could not be on the same scale as the true 'Industrial Revolution'

As for the banking sector, it is required to allow the easy transfer of money, and to allow private individuals to borrow money, hence 'creating' far more wealth than there really is in the economy (credit ratios etc.) and enabling large-scale funding to go ahead. You *could* have it all funded by the rich aristocracy, but historically, this was generally unheard of.

With respect to 'modern capitalist theory', read Adam Smith. I can't post Wealth of Nations on a messageboard.

Cheap technology: mass production of textiles was first around in the 18th century. Three field crop rotation was also typical of eras later than DnD, as were horse harnesses. With respect for everburning torches, this is not really cheap: at 100gp, this is the cost of 10,000 ordinary torches!

Remove ads