Silly economics of DnD

herald

First Post
mroberon1972

Yor arguement is still flawed. Your not trying. The magic you are quoting doesn't work this way.

Dispel aside. Your magical item is BROKEN!!!!!

Wonderous items do not work this way. Period. Most DMs would laugh you out the door.

Do your research my friend and you will find that your magic Item doesn't come close to any other magical item in the DMG.

Even the everful purse, that will give you 20 GP a day if you leave 1 gp in it overnight, is a minor artifact, and cannot be made by a moral, epic or otherwise.

Epic Level Handbook.

I Just read some parts of Tome and Blood again. They advised this simple test for creating magical items.

You need to go back and do your homework again.

mroberon1972

First Post
Herald...

Herald... I am a gamemaster. I have been one for over 15 years.

So far, you have only half read each of my posts, when finally this is hammered home, you just rant:

Dispel aside. Your magical item is BROKEN!!!!!

Wonderous items do not work this way. Period. Most DMs would laugh you out the door.

Do your research my friend and you will find that your magic Item doesn't come close to any other magical item in the DMG.

Lots of items do not come close to others... Are they broken? How is it broken? Quit ranting and talk to me DARNIT!

And for the final time: READ THE DOGGON ITEM (Note bolded area):

A wizard of means (he's rich guys...) has a brother in the city who is an armorer. He asks, if you can make a Wall of Iron, then why can't you make a Breastplate with a spell. Huh... Well, after about 3 moths of research, he makes a new magic item. 5 times per day, over a period of about an hour, it makes a basic breastplate out of steel and spits it out a slot. It needs some coal to keep the fires hot (elemental fire it too dangerous), and some ore loaded in the top (wall of iron built in costs too much). It does not use charges, and cannot be moved very easy (several tons weight). Bound to it is a happy little Azer (sp?) that hammers out the breastplate to the right shape for the new owner. The Azer has been well paid, and only appears to hammer the breastplate to the needed size, so is free do what it wants the rest of the time...

Now read this spell description (Note bolded area):

Fabricate

Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: See text
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: Up to 10 cu. ft./level (see text)
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

The character converts material of one sort into a product that is of the same material. Creatures or magic items cannot be created or transmuted by the fabricate spell. The quality of items made by this spell is commensurate with the quality of material used as the basis for the new fabrication. If the character works with a mineral, the target is reduced to 1 cubic foot per level instead of 10 cubic feet.

The character must make an appropriate Craft check to fabricate articles requiring a high degree of craftsmanship (jewelry, swords, glass, crystal, etc.).

Casting requires 1 full round per 10 cubic feet (or 1 cubic foot) of material to be affected by the spell.

Please, will someone else tell me what is wrong with this item? Or do I need to build it with the DM's guide to prove it?

Mr. Oberon

Al

First Post
mroberon1972:

Actually, the number of magic using people does not have as much an impact on this as you would think. Also, keep in mind differing worlds have differing percentages of magic in thier world. I was only giving an example from my worlds. Please excuse the lack of information I gave.

That's okay. I understand that different campaign worlds have different levels of magic (indeed, my campaign worlds tend to have above-average levels of magic-users), but I tend to argue using standards when on the boards. It stops silly arguments about the exact numbers (though, of course, part of my argument is about exact numbers...hohum :) )

No, It does not. It never had anything to do with the good of the people. It has to do with a wizard who wants to crank out 5 breastplates per day as a constant source of income. He gives it to someone (as powerful people tend to do... Elvis cars anyone?), and he begins to profit from it. Or the mage has someone manage it for a wage. You get the idea.

Well, I believe some else suggested this, not you. However, on the other hand, in order to crank out the breastplates, he'll need to be at level 11 or so. This means that such a caster is unavailable to any settlement short of a large city: in essence, they are very rare! Furthermore, a mage of this level can probably find himself employed far more lucratively: either creating *magical* items (which are distributed to a very narrow section of the population) or by casting other spells (e.g. charging nobles for teleports).

Where did I quote this? Or is it someone else?

Don't worry, it's not you...
Arcana casters must cast 1 spell per day for the public good except for those who drain xp
(jasper).

Your argument says we could have never developed one ourselves, since you seem to be saying that they cannot develop one? Also keep in mind another issue: Just because we developed our way (history) does not mean they have to follow the exact same model of development. We did not have living gods and humans weilding magic. Still, all humans tend toward progress as the norm.

Not at all! What I am saying, however, is that many of the factors that are required for an 'industrial' revolution are not in place in a standard medieval DnD setting. Most of the factors mentioned evolved in the 16th-18th centuries. Of course a DnD world could become industrial, but not given the standard parameters in the near 'future'. As for alternative development, this is an interesting theory. Unfortunately, we only have our own histories to look back on, and only our own theories to work with, and at current, the consensus amongst economic historians in that these factors are required. Of course, they haven't commissioned studies on the effects of magic...:p

I agree and more. Magic will NEVER bring advancement of technology. PEOPLE do this. Magic is just a set of natural laws of the world. Atomic energy is possible and good (please, no fights over this... It's off the topic.) but can only be made by very powerful groups with very special knowledge. They still happened, even with human nature.

A very astute point.

"God, I love a good argument!"

Don't we all :) ?

herald:
Though I disagree with mroberon's arguments, yours are flawed moreso. My disagreement with Mr O is not that it is impossible, but that it is an inaccurate portrayal of attitudes and reactions at that time, in the same way my Murlynd's Spoon Revolution was flawed (and deliberately so).

Simply put, mroberon is using the Wall of Iron spell (which has Instantaneous duration) to create a big mass of iron, then using the Fabricate spell (also Instantaneous) to make things out of that iron. There is no logical reason why this is not possible; rather that 'couldn't', it is a case of 'wouldn't'. Hope this clarifies things for you...I know these threads can get heated, and I'm hoping that hearing this from someone broadly agreeing with your standpoint allows you to accept his (perfectly viable) example.

Edit: Dammit, oberon, why do you post before me and invalidate my points whilst I'm still typing them!

Well, rather than re-type, I'll just say that such an item (the breastplate-manufacturer) could exist, but the prohibitive cost of producing such an item (not to mention employing an outsider) probably makes it not worthwhile; and of course, in those three months, the aforesaid wizard can be employed lucratively in activities described above.

Last edited:

Corinth

First Post
I think that some of you fail to account for the opposition that will come from any attempts to change from a feudal economy to an industrial one. Politics alone will thwart many attempts, and then there's the influence of the divine--which may not like this--that revolutionaries may reckon with. This idea that magic must force a D&D setting away from the feudal default is far and away from a sure thing.

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Ok, this is a paradigm that I don't understand.

There are wizards and clerics in the campaign world that have the magical power to dramatically change all of society for the better, but somehow, they refuse to do so because they want to keep the whole society--including their mundane relatives and friends, and everyone that they live near and interact with--trapped in disease-ridden, oppressive, grinding poverty of a 12th-Century European model--even though they have the power and skills to change it?

Ok, that makes sense.:) Really, that seems to fly directly in the face of creatures' desire to profit, and make general progress.

Again, 12th-Century Euro[ean model+Magic does not equal the same rough, impoverished 12th-Century European model that so many seem ardently opposed to changing, despite the power and logic of doing so. Hmmm...

Furthermore, the application of magic throughout society does not necessarily equal an "industrial revolution" but it does mean that any such society with magic available will look dramatically different from the standard 12th-Century European model, that so many people seem to love.:)

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

herald

First Post
Corinth

Your right on the money on that one. Another thing to take into consideration is the simple fact that advanced economics needs some degree of power sharing. Other individuals need to know that they are going to have autonomy to make money. If there is no Magna Carta type system of rights, I just don't think that any advanced form of economy can exist.

herald

First Post
Though I disagree with mroberon's arguments, yours are flawed moreso. My disagreement with Mr O is not that it is impossible, but that it is an inaccurate portrayal of attitudes and reactions at that time, in the same way my Murlynd's Spoon Revolution was flawed (and deliberately so).

I'm sure I'm missing something here, could you elaborate?

Fabricate and Wall of Iron examples are flawed.

Fabricate doesn't change the state of an object from one sort of solid to another form of solid. It will alow you to shape said object, but that's it.

Therefor newer spell types would have to be used to do something like it. And I stand by my point of that the creation of such an item breaks the spirit of magic item creation rules.

mroberon1972

First Post
Hullo again Al...

Hullo again Al...

Actually, you missed it too. It does not use Wall of Iron. While it could, it just takes iron ore poured in the top and makes breatplates using the Fabricate spell. Basicly, it is a factory in a box. It never makes something out of nothing...

The Item creation rules in the DM's Guide are on page 242.

As follows a rundown of the item cost:

Spell effect:
Fabricate (50 gp) with command word (x1800) = 90,000 gp
5 charges per day = divide by 1 (no effect)
Add cost of material = done each time used...

total cost: 90,000 gp per breastplate maker (+ 10% material cost)

Profit per breastplate (200gp - 20gp) = 180 per plate...

5 plates per day, 100 days, pays for itself in less than a year.
(don't bother me about market flooding. Just cut it to one per day or week and cut the cost accordingly. Same time to pay for itself... Less cost directly relates to less production)

If I really wanted to be nasty, It could have been full plate, sold at half price!!!

Finally, Al... Remember: Say that no one will ever do something, and they will prove to a liar every time. Every invention WE have is due to someone breaking the basic rules of human nature. Without them, you would not have the computer sitting in front of you right now.

Also remember, I am NOT saying magic items should EVER be mass produced. Just that magic items can mass produce magic items...

Mr. Oberon
"What was the topic again?"

mroberon1972

First Post
herald said:
Corinth

Your right on the money on that one. Another thing to take into consideration is the simple fact that advanced economics needs some degree of power sharing. Other individuals need to know that they are going to have autonomy to make money. If there is no Magna Carta type system of rights, I just don't think that any advanced form of economy can exist.

Now that I can agree with myself!

Keep in mind even the Magna Carta only lasts as long as the ruler who obeys it...

Mobius

First Post
But all of them? That doesn't strike me as very realistic, in considering human nature, and progress.

The D&D magic system is inherently unrealistic (to say nothing about fantasy gaming in general). Your predicted world likely would arise as a result of D&D style magic, but it most certainly wouldn't arise as a result of 'magic' as a more generic force to be manipulated.

1. Can a caster ever 'fail' at casting a spell in D&D?

Nope. Spells that fail cause problems, injury and even death. The number of volunteers to light the city or to provide running water would go down enormously when there is some measure of personal risk for the caster. Provide light to some peasant? I have more important things to do than to risk my neck for a mere gutter rat.

2. Where does the iron from a Wall of Iron come from?

Limitless resources are unrealistic. In D&D magic, it isn't unrealistic to create a 100 zillion iron walls with no effect on the current stores of iron in the ground.

3. Is a Wall of Iron cast by Zakhar the Illustrious, High Mage of Danzir the same as a Wall of Iron cast by Jeremy Barnswallow, hedge mage of a halfling community?

Yep. Very unrealistic that spells the world over are exactly the same in effect.

So, I think you can see my point. When every Wall of Iron is exactly the same, does not draw on any limited resources, can be cast without failure, it is pretty easy to see that traditional ironworkers would be quickly out of work.

Nothing could be farther from 'realistic' though.

My second point is more philosophical. You are a 20th century man inundated with mass production, technology and weaned on values such as individuality, progress and innovation. When you see magic, you see a force to be manipulated - you turn magic into technology. If an indigenous culture 'discovered' magic, they would come up with some very different uses than you would conceive of because their cultural values do not match ours, or are even diametrically opposed.

In other words, do not suppose that 'human nature' is the same from one culture to another with regards to progress.

Remove ads