Simon R Green

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Originally posted by Hypersmurf
Um. Cthulhudrew? Anything else you'd say about Haven?

You seem to have pretty well covered things, actually. :)

The setting is high magic... The magic system isn't very well defined, since the main characters aren't mages... but basically, powerful wizards can do pretty much anything...

This is the reason I used (read- blatantly lifted) elements of Haven for my Alphatian campaigns. Alphatia, on the world of Mystara, is very high magic- it is ruled by a council of 1,000 of the most powerful wizards on the planet, nobles are spellcasters, etc. I basically use Haven as the model for the city of Shraek, in the kingdom of Blackheart (though with a decidedly more Cthulhian twist than in the Green books- though I seem to recall a nod to Lovecraft and his contemporaries, from the books).

It would definitely require some alteration for a lower magic setting, though not much I'd think. The general gist is that there are some really nasty magical creatures that occasionally require more "muscle" to deal with than just the regular guard (and Hawk and Fisher end up being dragged in to the mix a lot, given their natures, and the fact that they've had dealings with magic before). Otherwise, the city itself is an admixture of, on the one hand high society, with all the privileges of wealth and station; a quarter for merchants and the like; a dock quarter (where, as is typical, most of the bad element hangs out); a temple district (the street of Gods); and the guard which keeps order in the city, but is largely corrupt, save for Hawk and Fisher (and one or two others), who are often required to bend or break the rules in order to see that things get done, and done in a just manner. Which also explains their relatively low ranking in the order of things (they just piss too many people with influence off).

It's been a while since I've read the books, so I think Hyp's description is far more apt than I could come up with. But there is a lot of detail in the books, so plenty of room to mine some creative ideas.

Now that I think of it, you could probably use many elements of Haven for say, a City of Greyhawk campaign. It is very similar to many "generic" sorts of fantasy Cities (and I'd say it could only be used as a big city, anything smaller wouldn't translate quite as well), but with a richer history and tapestry than is generally cultivated for such settings. As I pointed out, it's one of Green's strongest points.

On another note, his Blue Moon books (which bookend the Hawk and Fisher stories- the first one relates their origins, and the second one ties up loose ends for them) are somewhat more light hearted even than his humor in the H&F series, and the magical elements of them are a bit more on the fantastic side (I'd say the H&F books feature elements more suited to a D&D type campaign, while the BM books always seemed somewhat cartoony and fairytale-ish).

Originally posted by Dragonblade
Picked up the Guards of Haven book which has three Haven stories in one.

Pretty cool so far. I see what you mean about the one-dimensional characters, but I'm not too picky as far as that stuff goes. I like cool detailed settings and action, and as long as the book is an enjoyable read I don't really dissect the plot and characterization.

Thanks for introducing me to Simon Green.

Glad you're enjoying them. The thing about the characters' one-dimensionality is strange, almost paradoxical. On the one hand, he gives the characters these elaborate, well thought out, rich histories that are just as detailed as his world building. On the other hand, when you see the characters in action- their thoughts, dialogue, interactions with others- they're ciphers. You can't really distinguish them too much from others, and they react pretty much the same way. It's strange.

Again, though, that's really my only complaint about his books. If his characterization were stronger, they'd be among my top ranking books of all time. At the same time, though, they are incredibly interesting, and certainly memorable to me. And they've definitely had an influence on my rp campaigns. :)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Cthulhudrew said:
Another one that I've seen, but haven't read is something like "Blood and Wine and Roses" or something like that?

Drinking Midnight Wine?

I've seen it at Borders, but haven't picked it up yet.

There's a nice general rundown of his work here for people who haven't come across him.

-Hyp.

Last edited:

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Originally posted by Hypersmurf
Drinking Midnight Wine?
I've seen it at Borders, but haven't picked it up yet.

That's the one.

Funny, I just did a search on Simon R. Green. Noticed a bunch of the stories you mentioned. The Blood and Honor one is listed (along with Down Among the Dead Men) as being in the Forest Kingdom trilogy. Is it a continuation of the Hawk and Fisher (pre-Haven) stories, or does it just feature different characters from the Blue Moon Rising book?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Cthulhudrew said:
The Blood and Honor one is listed (along with Down Among the Dead Men) as being in the Forest Kingdom trilogy. Is it a continuation of the Hawk and Fisher (pre-Haven) stories, or does it just feature different characters from the Blue Moon Rising book?

It's set in Castle Midnight, but that's about the only connection... from memory. Different time period, I think.

I couldn't guarantee that, but it's definitely not a Rupert-and-Julia story.

-Hyp.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
It's set in Castle Midnight, but that's about the only connection... from memory. Different time period, I think.

I couldn't guarantee that, but it's definitely not a Rupert-and-Julia story.

-Hyp.

It is set between Blue Moon Rising and the Hawk and Fisher series - the main character mentions meeting Prince Rupert, he just didn't recognize him.

The Auld Grump Simon R. Green is a bit of a hack, but a fun hack!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Dirigible said:
Do these Hawk and Fisher predate or post date Pratchett's City Watch? It sounds like Green's stuff could be inspiration.

Looks like Guards, Guards! was 1989, and No Haven for the Guilty (first Hawk and Fisher story) was 1990.

-Hyp.

Last edited:

s/LaSH

First Post
I just got done reading Drinking Midnight Wine, and for some reason I think it's amongst Green's better work (having read nearly everything else he's done, including the first book of the second Deathstalker cycle). It's certainly less complex, shorter, easily managed, but it's not stoopid at all. The characters aren't all killing machines, and any one-dimensional personalities are permitted by setting. And as you'd expect with Green, the story is laden with religious content.

There is one theme of Green's writing which doesn't quite show up in DMW:
slaughter of innocents
. It makes a nice change.

Last edited:

Remove ads