• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Simple buffs to the weaker classes? (Warlock, Wizard, Str. Paladin, maybe Druid?)

Pale Jackal

First Post
The quest for balance is eternal! But, a simple house rule to buff some of the weaker classes is what I'm after. In particular, I once read something that suggested the warlock use their secondary stat instead of intelligence for their powers. I.e. +Intelligence to damage reads +secondary stat.

So assuming these classes are weaker than other classes, what are some reasonable suggestions?

I was thinking of allowing the Warlock to get a bonus to damage equal to their secondary stat, or maybe half their secondary stat, but then that might mean Warlocks ignore their tertiary stat. Maybe it could be a bonus equal to their tertiary stat? This is kind of modeled after the Sorcerer bonus to damage.

Maybe a similar solution would work with wizards? I kind of like the idea of the bonus being equivalent to the tertiary stat, but perhaps that simply leads to "multiple attribute disorder" then again: this is purely a bonus, so maybe that's not so bad. The wizard bonus should possibly be halved, since the wizard has more area attacks, and is a controller, rather than a striker.

I'm not sure what to do with druids or paladins, since their role is a bit more complicated.

Anyhow, let me know your thoughts, or if you've heard of any great previous solutions. While I own the PHB2 and MM2, I'd kind of prefer to avoid solutions involving say, Arcane Power, especially since I've implemented the "20 point buy, but you get a +2 to the stat of your choice" house rule, which kind of renders Arcane Power's racial feat buffs unnecessary.

FireLance

Legend
The "problem" with warlocks and paladins is that their attack powers key off different primary ability scores: Constitution or Charisma for the warlock, and Strength or Charisma for the paladin. This effectively splits them into two "sub-classes", each with a smaller pool of useful powers. If you don't think it is necessary to maintain this distinction, you can have all their powers work off either primary ability score, or allow them to substitute their secondary ability score (Intelligence for the warlock, Wisdom for the paladin) for either primary ability score when it is referenced in a power or class ability - for example, a Strength paladin would use Wisdom in place of Charisma for divine challenge and divine mettle, and a Charisma paladin would use Wisdom instead of Strength for divine might.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Of course you could also build a more flavorful solution by creating more powers in the pool for each, for instance I want my Palidan to have mount related powers ... those sound like an extension for a Chalidan and if I have them well I wont miss divine might so much.

Perhaps not the best example as I guess its the Stralidan that people find under done... come up Stralidan moves for those levels he is missing is a definite requirement... make up a "Hurling the Unrighteous" that lets him miraculously toss an enemy straight up a distance based on strength. Or a Stralidan move which acts as an improved Grapple of some sorts ...

Last edited:

Pale Jackal

First Post
The "problem" with warlocks and paladins is that their attack powers key off different primary ability scores: Constitution or Charisma for the warlock, and Strength or Charisma for the paladin. This effectively splits them into two "sub-classes", each with a smaller pool of useful powers. If you don't think it is necessary to maintain this distinction, you can have all their powers work off either primary ability score, or allow them to substitute their secondary ability score (Intelligence for the warlock, Wisdom for the paladin) for either primary ability score when it is referenced in a power or class ability - for example, a Strength paladin would use Wisdom in place of Charisma for divine challenge and divine mettle, and a Charisma paladin would use Wisdom instead of Strength for divine might.

I was aware that such a power split was part of the problem (and it seems to have been done away with entirely in the PHB2.)

I think it might be easiest to allow the classes to use their primary ability score for every power, unless that'd lead to an overwhelming number of Constitution Warlocks, for example, especially since that seems to be how the PHB2 does it.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:

Pale Jackal

First Post
What about allowing Wizards and Druids an extra encounter power? Specifically, they may select an encounter power that they a) have access to and b) have not already selected. They get to use it like any other encounter power.

chronoplasm

First Post
I think new build options would be the best way of going about it.

Cavalier Paladin
Charisma primary, Strength secondary
Your powers focus on summoning creatures that can be used as mounts, as well as summoning celestial riders that help you out by marking enemies on your behalf and attacking marked enemies that get out of line.

Antimagic Paladin
Charisma primary, Wisdom secondary
You can create auras and zones of light that blind enemies and give them penalties to attacks against your allies.

Hopefully we get stuff like this in Divine Power.

Remove ads