• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Simple Globe of Invulnerability Questions

A Saint as a free action surrounds himself with his protective aura ability. This has a radius of 20 feet and acts as a lesser globe of invulnerability amongst other things.

The people around him (and thus inside this 20 foot radius aura) then try to do several things.
- One of the characters already had a bull's strength in effect. Does it still work?
- One of the characters drinks a potion of cat's grace. Does it not work or does the character have to step out of the globe for it to take effect or does it work normally?
- The Saint casts a Bless, will it work on the first character?
- A Cleric casts a prayer (radius 40 foot burst), does it work? Will an ally outside the globe gain the benefit of the Prayer if he is in the 40 foot radius?
- A mage casts a lightning bolt from in the globe to a target outside the globe. Does it work? Does it work on the foe caught in the globe in the line of effect?
- a foe with normal invisibility on tries to sneak up on the saint, does he become visible as he enters the globe?
- The Saint tries to cast a variety of third level and lower spells upon himself and others within the globe. Is he in effect confounded by his own aura?

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

azhrei_fje

First Post
I've always ruled that the globe prevents spell effects from passing through it, not from being cast within it. The spell description in the SRD doesn't specifically say this, though. But that's how I'd rule it.

YMMV.

Peter Gibbons

First Post
Herremann the Wise said:
One of the characters already had a bull's strength in effect. Does it still work?
Yes.
Herremann the Wise said:
- One of the characters drinks a potion of cat's grace. Does it not work or does the character have to step out of the globe for it to take effect or does it work normally?
Suppressed. If the character steps out of the globe, its effects resume (unless the duration has already expired).
Herremann the Wise said:
- The Saint casts a Bless, will it work on the first character?
Allies outside the globe are affected as normal. The effects are suppressed on those within the globe.
Herremann the Wise said:
- A Cleric casts a prayer (radius 40 foot burst), does it work? Will an ally outside the globe gain the benefit of the Prayer if he is in the 40 foot radius?
Same as bless. So, yes.
Herremann the Wise said:
- A mage casts a lightning bolt from in the globe to a target outside the globe. Does it work? Does it work on the foe caught in the globe in the line of effect?
Yes. No.
Herremann the Wise said:
- a foe with normal invisibility on tries to sneak up on the saint, does he become visible as he enters the globe?
Yes.
Herremann the Wise said:
- The Saint tries to cast a variety of third level and lower spells upon himself and others within the globe. Is he in effect confounded by his own aura?
The effects of the various spells are suppressed while he and the others remain within the globe. If he considers this "confounding," then yes. :)

azhrei_fje said:
I've always ruled that the globe prevents spell effects from passing through it, not from being cast within it. The spell description in the SRD doesn't specifically say this, though. But that's how I'd rule it.
I don't know about the SRD, but the PHB is pretty specific about it:

"However, any type of spell can be cast through or out of the magical globe."

Remove ads