• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Simple Saving Throw Modifers/Dragon Magazine

tarcil

Explorer
Greetings

Our party got zapped pretty good by spectres and instead of blowing the last charges on our restoration wand, the players want to wait it out and go for the saving throws. In one of the Dragon magazines, it recently (maybe up to 2 years ago) gave a list of simple spells/suggestions to up a character's saving throw for the negative level. Any idea which magazine, and any personal suggestions?

Edward:p

kreynolds

First Post
tarcil said:
Any idea which magazine, and any personal suggestions?

That would be metagaming my friend, since you intend to use this improperly gained knowledge in your next session, so there's no chance in hell I'm gonna help ya'. Sorry. That kinda crap just really gets under my skin. Good luck to ya' though.

Here's a hint though: Look for any spell that raises your Con, maybe even something from the Paladin spell list. That might help.

Last edited:

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
I wouldn't call it metagaming as much as gaming the rules. Maybe I am splitting hairs.

The Fort save on the next day really represents a long term effect of your body to fight off "permenant" effects. So most saving throw boosters, which only last minutes or tens of minutes are inappropriate.

Anything that boosts your Con or gives a Resistance bonus for hours would be fair game IMO. A long series of Circles/Prot vs. Evil would be plausible.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
tarcil said:
Greetings

Our party got zapped pretty good by spectres and instead of blowing the last charges on our restoration wand, the players want to wait it out and go for the saving throws. In one of the Dragon magazines, it recently (maybe up to 2 years ago) gave a list of simple spells/suggestions to up a character's saving throw for the negative level. Any idea which magazine, and any personal suggestions?

Edward:p

Cast Endurance (to up your Fort save), then cast Resistance from an arcane caster, then have a divine caster cast Guidance and Prayer on you. If your DM allows it, cast Protection from evil instead of Resistance.

Endurance = +1 to +3 to your Fort Save, depending on your Con and the roll.

Resistance, Guidance, and Prayer all grant +1 to saving throws. (They stack, being a resistance, competence, and luck bonus)

So you can get anywhere from +4 to +6 on your Fort save with the right spells and the right timing. (Certain magic items may make some of the spells unnecessary.)

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
kreynolds said:

Those spells would help? Are you sure? Just sounds weird.

No, I am not really sure. I am pretty sure.

Prot. vs Evil gives a resistance bonus against "any attacks made by evil creatures".

Once the damage is dealt out and you are attempting to recover the next day, one can argue that there is no "evil source" that you are making your save against. I do not think this line of argument is correct because the DC of the saving throw is directly tied to the original source of the negative levels.

From the SRD: "Negative levels remain for 24 hours or until removed with a spell. After 24 hours, the afflicted character must attempt a Fortitude save. The DC is 10 + one-half the attacker's Hit Dice + the attacker's Charisma modifier."

I would argue that if the spectre's Cha and level directly affect whether I lose a level permenantly, then the source is still the spectre even if the saving throw occurs the next day.

I do think that the DM should be careful about very short-lived boosters spells and PC using stopwatches to mark out 23 hours and 59 minutes. OTOH I think negative levels (and poison) can be entertaining motivators to get a PC scrambling for assistance.

Xarlen

First Post
Resistance lasts for what... 6 Seconds? I would Not allow that. Sorry. I can see Endurance which lasts for Hours to work.

tarcil

Explorer
Wow...I didn't think I would get this much hostility from a simple query. I would like to point out that in a sage advice somewhere, it gives exact spells to cast so as to get a better saving throw after that 24 hours :rolleyes: .

Please remember, what some people seem to not understand, or maybe take the 'role' part too seriously, is that I am looking to play within the rules.

Remove ads