• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Single session experiment

mips42

Adventurer
This isn't 100% D&D 5e as it *could* work for most any RP system.
I had an idea for a single session experiment where, as the Game Master, I would have access to all the scores, bonuses, levels, etc and the players would ONLY get the role-playing bits.
I think this might be an interesting exercise for new and old players to try to break them out of the habit of relying on the dice mechanics instead of thinking and role-playing (which, I will admit, I am horribly guilty of).
If you have someone who might be resistant to the idea, you could even tell them it was a new game (not D&D, pathfinder, or whatever you normally play) and that this is the way that game is played.
I know some would love it and some would hate it, some would likely be good at it and others not, but I would be interested in thoughts and input on this idea.

LandOfConfusion

First Post
This isn't 100% D&D 5e as it *could* work for most any RP system.
I had an idea for a single session experiment where, as the Game Master, I would have access to all the scores, bonuses, levels, etc and the players would ONLY get the role-playing bits.
I think this might be an interesting exercise for new and old players to try to break them out of the habit of relying on the dice mechanics instead of thinking and role-playing (which, I will admit, I am horribly guilty of).
If you have someone who might be resistant to the idea, you could even tell them it was a new game (not D&D, pathfinder, or whatever you normally play) and that this is the way that game is played.
I know some would love it and some would hate it, some would likely be good at it and others not, but I would be interested in thoughts and input on this idea.

I think this would be fun. Years ago my group held a game night of pure role playing. It wasn't even within the rules set of a specific game. It wasn't even a LARP. The game was set in a tavern and people would walk in and role play anything they could think of. People would react and role play. Stories and character back grounds were made up on the fly. It was a lot of fun. I think your idea could probably be sustained beyond a single session because you will be using rules and running an "adventure". You are just focusing on role playing characters.

Also from a role playing stand point I actually like the personality traits in the game Pendragon. Other games use personality traits, like how courageous your character is, but in Pendragon they are deeply involved in the game. Also you can use them as a guide in determining how your character should act. Personally I find my role playing of a character is affected by my mood. Having a large and clear set of personality traits helped me get in the right mindset for role playing a specific character. I am kind of hoping the back ground mechanics in 5E have a similar effect.

Anyway I think you have a great idea with focusing on role playing rather than dice rolling. Establishing strong characters can be tough especially if people are uncomfortable role playing. Giving them a game environment focused on role playing could help a lot.

Remove ads