Sins of Our Fathers Story Hour - Fiends and Friends

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Actually, I'm the minotaur man. I did realize later that my email didn't mention my screen name.
I'll look forward to seeing how the PCs kicked them around *snif*

john

Whitey

First Post
Nope. No minotaurs. But that's OK. The first bunch weren't very memorable.

A bumbling wizard, a demon that wants to shake hands, and a monster that wants to hug. Whitey can do better than that.
Presumably the domain and range of CR has changed a bit, leaning more toward the upper end? This would allow for some more colorful critters. The trick is making them integrate well with the continuity of your story - not something to meddle with. You'll see an Email shortly with a broad overview of ideas.

Now, if you want minotaurs, we can do minotaurs.

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
Dreth (Horned Hunter)

DRETH
Medium Undead
Hit Dice: 4d12 (26 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 20 ft. (6 squares) (base Spd 30 ft.)
Armor Class: 19 (+1 Dex, +2 natural, +6 banded armor), touch 11, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+5
Attack: Slam +5 melee (1d4+3 plus poison)
Full Attack: Slam +5 melee (1d4+3 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Constrict 1d4+3, improved grab, poison
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/magic, darkvision 120 ft., immunity to cold, scent, undead traits, wolven bond
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +5
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 12, Con —, Int 11, Wis 13, Cha 15
Skills: Listen +5, Ride +8, Spot +5, Survival +12
Feats: Ability Focus (poison), Blind-fight, Improved Initiative (B)
Environment: Any cold
Organization: Solitary, or hunt leader (1 dreth, 2-4 wolven)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None (see text)
Alignment: Always lawful evil
Advancement: 5–8 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment:

Dreth, also known as Horned Hunters, are foul undead abominations that often lead packs of wolven (similar to Winter Wolves) on hunts across the taigas and tundras of the Valus. They often wear archaic plate armor (treat as banded mail) and are draped by fur-trimmed, sable cloaks. When slain, the corporeal body of a dreth dissolves into white ashes before disappearing entirely. A dreth is about the height and weight of a human.

Dreth speak Common.

COMBAT

Dreth attack by hammering with their fists, though they prefer to order accompanying wolven into the fray before wading forward in their wake. Some advanced dreth carry wands, gifts from the dark masters of earlier ages. These elite dreth are considered to have arcane spells on their spell list for purposes of spell-trigger items.
Constrict (Ex): A dreth deals 1d4+1 points of damage with a successful grapple check. A constricted creature must succeed on a DC 13 Fortitude save or lose consciousness for as long as it remains in the viselike grip and for 1d4 rounds thereafter. The save DC is Strength-based.
Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a dreth must hit with its slam attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it succeeds on the grapple check, it can constrict.
Poison (Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC 16, initial and secondary damage 1d4 Str. The save DC is Charisma-based.
Wolven Bond (Ex): Dreth have been masters of wolven since the Spring Epoch. Their racial heritage allows them to fully dominate wolven at will (caster level 9th). A wolven not under this effect still treats the dreth as its master, though may not explicitly obey the dreth’s commands.
Skills: Dreth have a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks. A dreth has an additional +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.
Feats: Dreth gain Improved Initiative as a bonus feat.

Campaign Note: I tried to tailor my original dreth (which was a template, not a creature, and allowed advancement by character class) to be more in line with 3E standards. The original dreth’s poison required three consecutive, successful Fortitude saves; otherwise the victim would lose 1d4 hp per round.

Disclaimer: Without the talents of Hypersmurf and WizarDru, I cannot state with any sense of assurance that the above stats are completely accurate with respect to 3.5 D&D. Blackdirge I am not.

(Now, Allan, stop pestering me!) :)

Remove ads