Sins of Our Fathers Story Hour - Fiends and Friends

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
The Forsaken One said:
I thought Ippizicus was MADE for that setting so I took the liberty of submitting him. If you have a problem with that I'll quickly delete that post.

No problem at all. In fact, I think it's pretty cool. I own Midnight (er, the book anyway) and am really impressed with the world and the theme.

Whitey

First Post
Happy day.
NPCs and/or monsters in the 8-15 range? No problem. Post them here or Email them along? Consider it thanks for such a fine story.
Though this might not be the best thread to say it, Whitey thinks that the PCs in 'Sins of our fathers' were plenty heroic - congrats to any who are reading this. We'll lament the departed and all, but they sure made good account of themselves. That's just as impressive to read about - and as impressive an in-game accomplishment, as flinging about uber spell this or uber gear that. It sounds unusual to be proud of a good character's end, but maybe not so unusual to be proud of a good end to a character.

frostrune

First Post
Whitey said:
Happy day.
NPCs and/or monsters in the 8-15 range? No problem. Post them here or Email them along? Consider it thanks for such a fine story.
Though this might not be the best thread to say it, Whitey thinks that the PCs in 'Sins of our fathers' were plenty heroic - congrats to any who are reading this. We'll lament the departed and all, but they sure made good account of themselves. That's just as impressive to read about - and as impressive an in-game accomplishment, as flinging about uber spell this or uber gear that. It sounds unusual to be proud of a good character's end, but maybe not so unusual to be proud of a good end to a character.

Thanks Whitey.

To a man, I think all of us (Destan's players) agree with you. We are all significantly higher level now (as evidenced by Destan's call for baddies) and have grown quite attached to our characters, yet we recently had a heroic PC death where the player requested he not be raised because 'it was the right thing to do' both for the character and the greater story.

If Destan sticks with this thing, I can assure you of more desperately heroic actions. Some are tragic and some are 'skin of your teeth' successes. All were a lot of fun.

Thanks again,

Frostrune (aka Baden Dost)

grodog

Hero
frostrune said:
We are all significantly higher level now (as evidenced by Destan's call for baddies) and have grown quite attached to our characters, yet we recently had a heroic PC death where the player requested he not be raised because 'it was the right thing to do' both for the character and the greater story.

That's good to hear frostrune. I'm sure I say for all of us that we can't wait to read further about such exploits :D (though losing characters you care about is tough, of course [Game of Thrones spoiler:
not unlike Ned Stark in Martin's _A Game of Thrones_
]).

If Destan sticks with this thing, I can assure you of more desperately heroic actions. Some are tragic and some are 'skin of your teeth' successes. All were a lot of fun.

Woohoo! So when does the next SH start, and---more directed at frostrune---how did you guys integrate new PCs with Baden, since he was busy cleansing the halls of his fathers when the others fell?

frostrune

First Post
No spoiler here

Woohoo! So when does the next SH start, and---more directed at frostrune---how did you guys integrate new PCs with Baden, since he was busy cleansing the halls of his fathers when the others fell?

Don't think I am giving much away by answering this...

Before we parted ways we had decided to meet in Val Hor and seek the advice of Destan the Grim. The survivors eventually get there (Baden was last as usual). When we arrive Destan knows the deal and is staging a raid. He sends a couple of his personal cronies (new PC's) along to assist us.

It was all pretty seemless and believeable.

As to when you might see more of our exploits? That's up to Destan. We do have another marathon session coming up March 11th, session 7. I'd venture a guess that you won't see anything before then. He's too busy devising ways to kill us :(

frostrune

frostrune

First Post
VERY brief session results

Well Grodog, Destan laid another couple PCs low this weekend and he tried awful hard for more. The party got split for short time because our mage isn't high enough level to teleport everyone all at once. What we thought to be simple travel nearly turned in to a partial TPK. It was damn ugly.

The party also got to experience the bitter taste of defeat on more than one occasion. We were getting pretty high in level and feeling a bit full of ourselves. Destan knocked us back down to size.

We are pretty high level now and things are getting quite.... intense.

It was a lot of fun.

frostrune

WizarDru

Adventurer
frostrune said:
The party also got to experience the bitter taste of defeat on more than one occasion. We were getting pretty high in level and feeling a bit full of ourselves. Destan knocked us back down to size.

We are pretty high level now and things are getting quite.... intense.
Yeah, you're getting into the no-holds-barred zone of D&D, now.

What I'm curious about is this: were you ambushed on the far side of the teleport, or were you attacked while getting away (i.e drop-zone or departure point)?

Last edited:

frostrune

First Post
PC Death #1

What I'm curious about is this: were you ambushed on the far side of the teleport, or were you attacked while getting away (i.e drop-zone or departure point)?

We were zapped upon arrival. I wouldn't call it an ambush though. Our teleport mark closest to the region we were trying to reach was a frost giant stronghold we 'thought' (read: big mistake) we had cleaned out.

Not only were there frost giants there, but Gelugons as well. A couple overlapping cones of cold put us in a real bad way pretty quick. Still, we would have been fine IF our sorceror didn't get himself killed. Now we couldn't teleport back out and things got REAL UGLY. We exascerbated the situation by not fleeing immediately.

Mistakes at those levels get you killed. All-in-all were pretty lucky. On a good note, those of us that survived got pretty solid xp (wheeeee!).

Frostrune

Remove ads